[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hi, I'm a chief engineer where I work and I'm responsible
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1
File: manager1.jpg (144 KB, 1024x1024) Image search: [Google]
manager1.jpg
144 KB, 1024x1024
Hi,

I'm a chief engineer where I work and I'm responsible for two different tasks in an international project.

I called a meeting to include three from my office, including a colleague and my boss.

I also called inn 5 people from different countries, including the project manager.

The project manager first accepted, then two days later declined. He said "no disrespect but the meeting collides with.." That meeting is MUCH more important, and there isn't even comparison.

However, why would he add "no disrespect"? I'm trying to figure out where I've got him. To me that sound like he discredits me. Almost like, "I like you kid, but the big boss i busy".

What's your take?
>>
Is your boss higher up than the PM? If so, I'd tell the PM to bother your boss about his panty ironing schedule interfering with his business.
>>
I've got no problem with the decline. I know what meeting he is going to and its to resolve a critical error. Mine is just formalities.

I just can't see why he would add the two words "no disrespect". It implies that he think I wouldn't understand his choice.

Maybe he's just uncomfortable being PM thinking he has to justify everything
>>
>>1098155

There is a lot of ambiguity. So at this point you can assume he means badly, or that it's some attempt to say "Sorry I have to move the meeting." It's your choice. PMs often have to be diplomatic.
>>
He probably just sees your meeting as a status update which can usually be accomplished through email

Whereas it's clear his is to address an actual problem which deserves a meeting

As a PM I try to limit my meetings as much as possible nothing bugs me more than the typical weekly status update that accomplishes nothing a short email couldn't and 5 less man hours
>>
>>1098163
Yeah. Probably it's nothing. I'm just retarded when it comes to understanding peoples unspoken messages and trying to recognize when I'm being dicked around.

Thanks!
>>
>>1098175
Yeah. This meeting is pretty fucking boring. All the paperworks are in place, but we need a meeting to formally close the issues. Nobody wants to be there, not even me. I've been pushing it for two months now..
>>
>>1098176
I don't know your age, but by now you should know (and especially if dealing with non-native English speakers!) that you should NEVER take offence over e-mail.
People are almost never deliberately rude in a corporate environment, it's just a hassle and unproductive, however they do type out without reading out loud their messages to make them fool-proof for ambiguity.
Life is much easier when you stop assuming the worst and just brush off such messages.
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.