[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is it normal to start off your first job out of college with
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2
File: 1454203427300.png (254 KB, 448x450) Image search: [Google]
1454203427300.png
254 KB, 448x450
Is it normal to start off your first job out of college with something you don't really like and then move on to a better job that suits your interests?
>>
yes nobody is special
>>
>>1097584
Yes but don't get stuck there. Makes sure people at the company know you and know your ambitions. Figure out what you would like to move into and meet some people in that department, let them know that you're interested and that you will do whatever you can to help. Get a masters in whatever you plan on doing while you work at the job you don't like. It's very normal for people to work jobs they don't like for 5 years before they figure out what they would like to do. Experience is key and figuring out what you don't want to do is one step closer to figuring out what you want to do
>>
>>1097584
you'll probably just get deeper into what you're already doing
>>
>>1097584
whatever helps you sleep at night, but you are just going to get better at that thing you now spend every day doing, so yeah good luck

also I hate the picture you posted, it looks weird, so I hope the worst for you
>>
>>1097586

i am nobody
>>
No, everybody stays at their first job out of college for their entire lives.
>>
Yes, this is a classic example of a mismatch between the skills/lessons that universities have taught and the real demands of skills from the workplace. Be ready to jump ship if you find something better
>>
No, it's normal to work a shit job your entire life. That's why it's called work and not shit you like to do.
>>
>>1097584
Don't be naive and make the company or co-workers know you don't like the job or don't want to stay. I had that "I'll get something better" mentality out of college and it did nothing but hurt me because the job market tanked as I was being let go. Company was restructuring and my supervisor could have protected me and kept me on a job that wasn't that bad but when asked if I want to be a regular I gave an "I dunno". Looking back now I would have liked to keep that job a bit longer and work on improving my skill set at the time, instead i spent more time looking for work than improving myself or building a network.
The economy and job market still isn't great so stay where you are and think very carefully before making any big decision.
>>
How long should I work my first job after college before moving on to a better one?

>>1097990
Why would you do that?
>>
I'm doing that. Planning to give my notice this summer and study a master's because fuck this shit.
>>
>>1097584
Yes, everyone I know who graduated college hates their jobs except for the small amount of actual intelligent people I know who went. They are valuable so they could find jobs they are paid well in and enjoy doing.

Seriously, College is full of average people getting average grades in degrees for jobs they are too average to excel at. That's why so many college graduates serve me my coffee and breakfast burrito in the morning.

Sending every retard to college is why graduates can't find jobs. It's the students who are worthless, not the degrees.
>>
>>1098258
Have to qualify "worthless" on a board (or in a country) that thinks financial fraud and day trading create value...
>>
>>1097584
It's the equivalent to picking a major in uni. Most people are going to change A LOT. Just make sure you don't waste time and money and get the most out of every experience no matter how shitty
>>
If I take a job and quit after three months, am I damaged goods and permafucked?
>>
>>1098972
Faggot
>>
>>1097584

Yes. Though I'd say around 25% of people coming out of college get a job they like/have the connections to get something in their field.
>>
>>1097990

I had this mentality but I kept it to my fucking self.

I did the company lockstep and praised the company bullshit, but I always knew the koolaid was poisoned.
>>
It's more normal to start out doing something you prefer and then making do with a Whittier job that pays more as your life goes on. Do what you love while you are young, healthy, and relatively unburdened. Later you will have to settle for mediocrity and a steady wage.
>>
>>1098972
Yes, no one will ever hire you again. No one has ever moved onto a better opportunity after a short period.
>>
the world is fucked, experience only counts in the same field. changing fields is HARD, you end up going down two rungs.
You've been warned
>>
>>1100757
Are you speaking from experience, or is there some kind of employment rule book that specifies this?
>>
>>1100766
experince
every job is hr screened now. everything is "5 years experience in X industry and Y field with Z tools."
You either have to know someone or get lucky AND start lower down.
You can start with a job you don't really like but it better be related to what your goal is in some direct, can be expressed on paper way.
>>
File: 1446168707773.gif (2 MB, 298x167) Image search: [Google]
1446168707773.gif
2 MB, 298x167
>>1097586
Who implied that? Who the fuck are you talking to?
>>
>>1098258
This guy gets it
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.