[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey, /biz/, currently got approximately 6k as an emergency fund,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3
File: emergency-savings-jar.jpg (85 KB, 500x438) Image search: [Google]
emergency-savings-jar.jpg
85 KB, 500x438
Hey, /biz/, currently got approximately 6k as an emergency fund, and looking on ways to multiply that. What do (in b4 online savings/sucking dick)?
>>
Google Netspend Savings account
>>
File: IMG_20160216_191227.jpg (221 KB, 720x1129) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160216_191227.jpg
221 KB, 720x1129
>>1097247
Checked it out and came across Barclay's. Anyobe have any experience with them?
>>
>>1097233
Don't invest your emergency fund, save it.
>>
>>1097303
Yes, they're good. Totally online, highest stable APY you'll find, no minimums or fees, easy to transfer funds back and forth between checking/savings.
>>
>>1097233
>>1097306
>>1097247
>>1097303

How much should an emergency fund be? One years worth of living? I currently have 80k in emergency funds
>>
>>1097317
at least 50% more than that
>>
>>1097317

I recommend at least 6 months, but I keep 1 full year of expenses in savings. Never know when something major is going to happen and you'll be out of work for a year or more.
>>
>>1097317
Holy shit, I'm jelly as fuck
>>
>>1097327
Don't be its just given to me from parents, on my own I only have +$6k from student allowances and ~-28k presumably from studen loans for a BSc

>>1097322
>>1097320
Alright, sounds good, was considering using it as capital but not such a good idea now that I think of it
>>
>>1097334

Well, what are your yearly expenses? Mine are around $40,000 a year so I keep that much in liquid savings. You say you have $80,000 in savings does that cover a year of expenses for you or is that over doing it?
>>
>>1097340
Im a student so my yearly expenses are basically zero, government issues $140 per week to students (student allowance) and thats enough for me since I dont socialize.

>Is that over doing it
Well im still a kid so I don't really know much about the real world, I'm not exactly confident enough to take a large fraction of the money and 'invest' it either (was considering using the money for a software startup company after I graduate)
>>
File: images.png (2 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
images.png
2 KB, 225x225
Looking at online savings places -- holy shit, these reviews read like a horror story. Also, how's Ally bank as a new contender? I'm now wary as fuck
>>
>>1097346

Eh, then you are good and leave it where it's at. Add to it if you can, since it'll give you a good cushion when you graduate. I'd even consider using part of it to buy a house once you've decided to do that. You are pretty far ahead of the game, so good one on you.
>>
>>1097350

I wouldn't call them new, but they are good. Any reason with going with an online bank instead of a credit union?
>>
>>1097356
I don't know any better and I think I bought into the online banking hype. I have a CapitalOne credit card and they have the 360 online savings account, but I found their .75% interest rate meager compared to Ally's or Barclay's. Can anyone red pill me about credit unionsonline banks?
>>
>>1097361

I use CapOne360 as my accounts. I've been pretty happy with them since they were ING Direct.
>>
>>1097384
Is the difference between 1.00% and 0.75% in interest rates neglible in the long run for you?
>>
>>1097233

Find something worth $10,000. Don't buy it. Scour the country for the same thing in the same condition that costs $5,000. Buy that, sell into the $10,000 market. Repeat.

You're welcome.
>>
>>1097401
I don't think physical arbitrage works in real life because of the effort and time required m8
>>
I'm open to all suggestions, /biz/ bros
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.