[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm a broke college kid who made $5,500 last year. I'm
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
File: tax-florida.jpg (254 KB, 812x591) Image search: [Google]
tax-florida.jpg
254 KB, 812x591
I'm a broke college kid who made $5,500 last year. I'm getting probably $400 in fed taxes back.

What are some small things I can write off to get back? Car mileage? I bought a car in July and put 6000 miles on it ever since.
>>
>>1096905
>Income is 5500
>Bought a vehicle
Confirmed for literal retard.
>>
>>1096910
I didn't buy it my dad did
>>
Car mileage, clothes and food. Be creative
>>
>>1096905

I thought students were given a tax form that that could be applied for a return?
>>
Why do you need to write things off? The standard deduction is already higher than what you've made.
>>
>>1096905
Car mileage if it was for your own business.

Any donations to Goodwill? Church? etc.?

Donations valued over $500 will raise red flags with IRS.

Your parents can see if they are eligible for American Opportunity Credit or Lifetime Learning Credit, assuming they are paying for your school.
>>
>>1097147
>Car mileage if it was for your own business.

I used my car to get to and from work, does this count?
>>
You shouldn't owe any tax with that income.
>>
>>1097156
wtf? How much would you get from your car mileage, $20? Who cares....
>>
>>1097156
No. If you drove to volunteer on the other hand that counts.
>>
STANDARD DEDUCTION
>>
>>1097156
Only if it was part of your job duties and you weren't compensated. So commuting doesn't count but if you boss wanted you to drive across town for something work related you could count that trip.
>>
>>1096905

lel, you're going to want to take the standard deduction one million percent of the time here. Also if you only made $5,500 last year, you're paying no taxes at all, as in, you're getting every cent you paid in taxes back on your return.
>>
>>1097483
True, not only that, but full time student: you get a thousand dollar credit. So make sure you get that, along with EIC.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.