[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Thoughts on tradesmen as a job? I'm a sophomore in college
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 5
File: elec.jpg (1 MB, 1132x1696) Image search: [Google]
elec.jpg
1 MB, 1132x1696
Thoughts on tradesmen as a job?

I'm a sophomore in college majoring in Stats but dislike it. Is being an electrician a good idea?

>you work early get home early
>no boss to report to
>could start your own business eventually
>labor is minimal
>no degree bs required
>fulfilling and productive job
>>
>>1096754
>>1096754
Thoughts on tradesmen as a job?

>you work early get home early
>no boss to report to
>labor is minimal
>no degree bs required
>fulfilling and productive job

Nice bait. Try again faggot.
>>
It's definitely a better job than many in my opinion, but at least here in my EU country that kind of job means long work days, you have to travel to where there is work to be done and need to finish it and move to the next one to earn money. It's also more labour than you think it is, and you ideally need years as an apprentice or having chosen a technical diploma in HS before starting your own business.
>>
Na it sucks man ton of labor and hours get a cdl and haul dirt easy money
>>
>labor is minimal

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
>>
>>1096754
>apprenticeship in plumbing
>300$/hr starting
>any contract I want
>>
>no boss
>labor is minimal
>fulfilling and productive

Top kek to all of these

Grass is greener
>>
>>1096754

>no degree bs required

Right. No degree bs! Just 5 years of apprenticeship!
>>
Part time unqualified electrician here. Im enjoying it
>>
?8m tow u
>>
>>1097104

>touching other people's shit
>on your knees like a serf all day

at least you'll get to drive an f150 and pretend like you're "building the nation" or whatever other bullshit memes you blue collar fucks spout off while you chug miller high life and wear your carhartt man pajamas
>>
>>1097180
enjoy falling for the college scam dumbass. I'm gonna be making bank while your in debt

Women love guys who work with there hands. I hope you don't mind me fucking your wife while your at your beta cuck office job.

I bet your the same kind of idiot who rents instead of buying a house
>>
>>1096754

It'll ruin your body after twenty years, but most trades can buy you a home.
>>
File: 1352463484763.jpg (36 KB, 780x435) Image search: [Google]
1352463484763.jpg
36 KB, 780x435
>>1097193

>implying i'm a normie

eat shit and die millwright scum have fun cleaning all the u joints in your house after i get done railing ur mum and clog them full of MAGNUM® condoms

also

>with THEIR hands
>while YOU'RE at
>I bet YOU'RE
>this is how i know YOU'RE a peasant
>>
>>1096754
A nation cannot run on people with masters degrees alone, it needs tradesmen and -women of all sorts to work. Electricians, plumbers, cooks, welders,butchers, we need them all.

Also, having a stable income while apprenticing, and getting into the workforce for many years ahead of those who go to university ,who then suffer years of living below the poverty line and twenty years of being indebted, that's not too shabby either.
>>
>>1097210
>correcting my spelling on fucking 4chan

Confirmed for cubicle cuck
>>
>>1097193
Uneducated grease monkey detected.
>>
depends on the trade. Electrical is king and gives you many options/areas of focus. Also requires intelligence and in many places legal certification. Instrumentation Technician is also excellent. HVAC and Plumbing are tolerable but dirtier. Carpentry/Drywall/Carpet/Paint/Concrete are the bottom tier and reserved for the uneducated and people with criminal records. Literally one step above McDonalds. I am an electrician about to take my journeyman test, and while I am intelligent enough to get a college degree, I feel that only Engineer/Medicine/Nursing/CS are the only degrees worth getting and I never had the drive to do these. If you don't want to work around less intelligent people, the trades are probably not for you.
>>
File: IMG_20151124_132219.jpg (1 MB, 3120x3120) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151124_132219.jpg
1 MB, 3120x3120
It can be ok. I'm an electrician in Canada and we make 85-110k working in the construction sector 40hours a week.

Benefits, profit sharing (some companies), and RRSP/401k matching is nice too.

It's as a good a career as you want to make it. Some guys do minimum work with minimum initiative and end up doing the same thing forever. Be better than those people in the right environments and you can be a foreman, part owner, go off on a solo venture, etc.
>>
>>1097250
neat. Where abouts?
>>
>>1097257
is that us or canadian dollars friend? are you in the union up there? is all electrical in canada union work?
>>
>>1097263
Eastern Washington
>>
>>1097270
Canadian dollars, yes. The average FAMILY income here is 75k, for reference.

The work split here in the GTA is 50/50, but the extremely large buildings (40+floors) and large ICI stuff is typically union. I started non-union but my company got bought by a union company and I'm still with them now. The pay difference wasn't huge though. Actually I preferred non-union for the RRSP/401k because it could be self-directed whereas the IBEW is behind the curtains magic.

My company is actually picking up some smaller companies down in new york so who knows...maybe I'll be down there someday.
>>
>>1097227

It's not spelling it's fucking punctuation mate ur making it hard to feel good about these bantz...
>>
>>1097287
Actually its grammar, cubicle cuck.

But whatever hope you like working for a boss your whole life

Cuck
>>
>tfw cushy desk job 9 hours a day on my ass
>tfw you have to work out during lunch break because otherwise you get fat
>tfw no roughneck job that makes you look lumberjack levels of intimidating while just doing your normal routine duties and getting paid for it

I dun fucked up.
>>
File: 2364236236236.jpg (8 KB, 160x160) Image search: [Google]
2364236236236.jpg
8 KB, 160x160
>>1097295

>Punctuation is "the use of spacing, conventional signs, and certain typographical devices as aids to the understanding and the correct reading, both silently and aloud, of handwritten and printed texts."

-Encyclopedia Britannica

>In linguistics, grammar is the set of structural rules governing the composition of clauses, phrases, and words in any given natural languagagaghmffff

-ur mum inhaling my dick
>>
>>1097312

>not just bringing an unflavored salad to put in the work fridge, since people don't steal salad
I've lost ten pounds by doing nothing but removing more processed carbs from my work diet and adding celery, carrots, and salad.
>>
>>1097323
I mean that's great if you want to be a spooky skeleton, but I want to make it, brah
>>
>>1096754
If your under age 26 and in the US you might be eligible for free training through jobcorps
>>
>>1097335

I weigh like 216, bro, I need to lose weight. Five nine ain't healthy at that weight.
>>
>>1096908
Seriously tho im 21 making 23/hr driving is true redpill of trades this is someone who worked in hvac for 2 years
>>
>>1097193
I work from home, so my bitch wife gets to suck my dick while I have fuck tons of downtime for the first 1/2 of the year.

Last half is busy as a regular job, but for the next 4 months I get to stay home, check my email, and watch movies basically and get paid way too much to do it.

Ya, na. Can never tell me I am somehow worse off for it.
>>
I work in a trade, I like it because it's pretty normal. I mean, people don't steal my lunch (wtf?) And I don't have to dress up to sit on my ass all day and play petty games with other workers.

There are downsides: blue collar guys don't really discuss anything of interest. But there s a lot less ego than more intellectual types.

I also get to see actual shit get fixed and I learn things and also will essentially never have to hire a tradesman. Plus there's the big arms, that's nice too.

Downsides--I work during the summer a lot. I'm still exposed to credit purchasing(who isnt) and I do have to deal with Customer s from time to time and management can be shitty depending where you work.

Generally I like it and I made 60k last year as a second year apprentice and that was pretty much no overtime.

It's okay. I probably should have been a. Engineer but j would have hated it and I wouldnt have been ready. Had a fucked up childhood
>>
>>1097385
Nice blog faggot
>>
>>1097385
I appreciated this post
>>
>>1097250
what about welders?
>>
>>1097385
>Had a fucked up childhood
This about sums up why you'd want to get into trades.
If you're perfect then why settle for less then a silver spoon life.
You are on 4chan, so something in your life got fucked up at least a little bit. Trades is great way to make bank if you wish to avoid NEET life and have some wits in your melon.
We going to make it m8e
>>
>>1098797
welders are god tier in my book because they fabricate steel things. B pressure welding is a cert and required for a lot of important welding like tanks. welding is well paid from what I understand but it's horrible on your body, lungs especially. this is second/third party info btw.

trades generally vary vastly based on who has the contract, if you're in a union, region and competition, seasonality, etc. Call some dudes, go to a shop, talk to a union, etc. This is not like business where you have to jump through hoops, take a box of donuts to a shop and you should be able to get the attention of the foreman for at least a few minutes just on good faith alone. prepare questions.

>>1098815
I think if you're anything less than certain about your career choice and you have anything less than a gravy train of scholarships and free housing it's worth pursuing. It allows you to learn while making money, meaning you can put that shit on your resume and also make money. It also gets you into the workforce right away, and there's no better way to figure out what you want to do than actually doing it. who would have thought. Learning the idea of your job while getting gold stars all day is not the same as actually doing it. So you might hate the career you chose four years ago when you graduate university with a shitload of debt and then you're in trouble.
>>
File: welders.png (58 KB, 671x631) Image search: [Google]
welders.png
58 KB, 671x631
>>1098863
I have limited knowledge of welding but it appears you get your ticket, so 3-4 years apprenticing with 2 month training periods each year at school, then you can challenge the pressure welding test or take another class for 2500$ to prep you, two months duration. pic related for wages, those are canabucks
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.