[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What about MSN Messenger and/or Hotmail caused them to fail?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1
File: image002.jpg (36 KB, 576x341) Image search: [Google]
image002.jpg
36 KB, 576x341
What about MSN Messenger and/or Hotmail caused them to fail?

MSN Messenger was the Facebook of my time (early-mid 2000s). It allowed for an absolutely free instant messaging platform cellphones of the time couldn't match. Social connectivity that was absolutely unheard of. But it died off faster than the time it took to create Facebook. Was it the lack of room for ad integration? Or something else?

I'm genuinely curious, because MSN messenger was ahead of its time in terms of social media, yet most people under 20 don't even know it existed.
>>
hearing about MSN makes me nostalgia hard man.

for me, i just naturally moved to facebook as everyone i knew was, msn was dying out. i personally have no preference as i only use messenger functions.
>>
Internet was still a relatively "new" thing for your ordinary schmuck, which means any large userbase was a teenage user base. For fifty average kids using MSN daily, there were barely half of their parents able to turn the computer on.

Any teenager trend is bound to die with the end of the kid's puberty, and most of the movement in the Internet marketplace was still teenager trends.
Can you think of one general public hit in the early 2000's which wasn't fueled by teenagers?

General public now is all ages so moves aren't as fickle as with 14 year olds.
>>
The competition was simply better.
>>
>>1096300
>what caused them to fail
They lack innovation and try to ride the coattails of their past success. Yahoo and msn are still like this today, at least in America
>>
>>1096461
Yahoo actually pulled out of most of Europe. They stopped providing news and services in many languages. And the ads in lots of countries are always the same hairloss and unicef ones that nobody wants to see.

They lost Europe.
>>
>>1096300
It didn't cater for women's narcissism, i.e., didn't allow women to publish their pics for all the guys to see.

You wanna be a billionaire, study women and give them what they want. They're extremely narcissistic and has an insatiable desire to share their body, so create something that allows them to do that easily, like Facebook, Snapchat, Instagram, iPhone, Samsung.
>>
>>1096300
MSN messenger didn't fail, microsoft killed it to get people on to skype, which is shit for plain messaging by comparison :(

> In June 2009, Microsoft reported the service attracted over 330 million active users each month, placing Messenger among the most widely used instant messaging clients in the world.
>>
>>1096445
Msn offered way more services than Facebook back then desu
>>
>>1096470
>MSN messenger didn't fail, microsoft killed it to get people on to skype, which is shit for plain messaging by comparison :(

This. MSN was killed by Microsoft.
>>
Yahoo Messenger was my turf.
>>
Isn't it obvious? The rise of the smartphone killed it.

Why sit at your computer to send messages when you can do it on the go? Nobody except neckbeards on IRC (0.000005% of the internet's population) send instant messages on computers.
>>
>>1096470

This is a simple fact. They stopped updating it suddenly and then stopped providing even the existing version for download.

They reluctantly agreed recently not to essentially delete all traces of its existence only because lots of government offices use it for inter-office communications still.

They bought Skype for big money and want you to use that.

It's the same reason they killed the original Xbox right when its sales were finally starting to look respectable, they wanted everyone to get onto the xbox 360.

Microsoft is the most poorly managed mega corporation in the world.
>>
>>1096300

Hotmail really hasn't failed, what since it is an email platform I am familiar with which does not stop me from making multiple accounts.

But I presume MSN messenger died because it's cumbersome, slow to load, and you can load MSN messenger through catchall IM applications like trillian.
>>
>>1096300

I still have my hotmail, but it is getting fucking horrible and they have changed the simple layout to some app-like big-coloured boxes piece of shit
>>
>>1096315
>>1096445
But the alternative (facebook messenger) is much more clumsy than ussing msn/icq. Messenger apps had a small window and used low resources; they allowed for easy file transfer and other useful functions. To use facebook you have to keep open a huge web browser window, it's less responsive and can bug out like any webpage.

>>1096498
But at first, smartphones had MSN messenger included. That's what you used to chat on phones using windows mobile, for example.
>>
>>1096691

Right, but Facebook rolled out and most people fell in love with it

Bitches love things that let them share photos and flirt with men -and compete with other chicks

So when Facebook messenger happened, everyone was like "sweet msn 2.0, now I can do everything with this app"

And the fact that Microsoft was shilling Skype hard past 2005
>>
>>1096848
>most people fell in love with it
females fell in love with it, which sucked everyone else in*
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.