[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Comfy Careers
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 86
Thread images: 3
File: waste.jpg (398 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
waste.jpg
398 KB, 1920x1080
So, I'd very seriously considered actuarial science until I was told by an adviser that as far as careers goes almost all actuarial jobs are in the largest of cities. That just sounds dreadful. I hate cities. I currently live in a large metropolitan area and remaining here indefinitely sounds like a fate worse than death. I'd prefer a small town, suburb, or rural area. What's a portable career that one could practice almost anywhere that offers a livable wage and job security? One that doesn't involve knee pads preferably.

Thanks.
>>
>>1096189
Medicine, everywhere needs a doctor
>>
There aren't many. Why do you think everyone moved to the cities?
>>
Learn to code and find a specialty~ then work from home
>>
>>1096196
True. I'm not certain I could handle the slog of medical school, residency, and optional specialization and sub-specialization.

>>1096197
A valid point.

>>1096205
I'm considering this. I have a few friends who majored in CS and they're doing very well and doing wildly different things.
>then work from home
Could life be this comfy?
>>
soft bump
>>
Mine engineering.

Starting pay is in the ballpark of $80k and foretasted demand is huge since so few schools teach ME anymore. There wasn't much hiring in the late 80s to 90s so there are a bunch of old guys nearing retirement with few replacements. By the time you're out of school we should be towards the end of the current mining downcycle.

Plus no HR bullshit: at a mine you can call someone a niggerfaggot and no one bats an eye
>>
>>1096738
Yeah, I did not know that was even a thing. I presume schools like Colorado School of Mines, Rose-Hulman, Texas A&M, etc. would teach that.

Thanks for the tip.
>>
>>1096738
>end of mining downturn in 4 years

Hah definitely not kiddo
>>
>>1096803
OK fine, but that doesn't negate the undersupply of engineers
>>
>>1096189
Agriculture is a wide and interesting field, with lots of possibilities for different majors. Not a lot of young people studying (im from GER), so good job opportunities, I would guess.
>>
>>1096809
>mining engineers
>in undersupply

Definitely not. Especially not in the US.

Also FYI the "great crew change" that you're referring to is a myth that's been perpetuated for decades.

Also,
>no HR bullshit
>mining corporations

This is how I know that you don't work in the industry.
>>
>>1096189
To OP, you'll grow out of the sentiment of not wanting to live near a city eventually. Don't let this affect your career selection in any way.

Source: life experience
>>
>>1096817
>>myth
Source?

>>Dealing with HR bullshit
>>Not working for a junior
>>
>>1096823
>working for a junior

I seriously hope you don't do this
>>
>>1096823
>source?

Ask actual senior staff in the industry instead of believing all the company-sponsored shilling for mining.
>>
>>1096820
That's fair. I could also live in a bedroom community and commute certainly. Although I do like the premise of working at home or having a home office.

>>1096811
Agriculture is awesome. I don't know a ton about it. I have family that were farmers. I know some German universities are highly ranked for agriculture. I'd have to do quite a bit of research, but I'll look into it. I have heard the FDA/Dept. of Agriculture have kind of fucked the profession.
>>
File: Gi901b.jpg (795 KB, 4160x1462) Image search: [Google]
Gi901b.jpg
795 KB, 4160x1462
Never write off the compromise of working in the city, you can still live in a rural area for maximum comfies, just find a place you like within an hour's commute to a more populated area. I live in a rural community of maybe 5000 people, not a single skyscraper in site, surrounded by mountains on all sides, 15 minute drive to some of the nicest lakes in British Columbia, but I work in the Vancouver area, my commute is 45 minutes to an hour depending on traffic. It's 100% worth the travel time and gas for a good sustainable job in the city if it means you make enough money to live the way you want to live. If you accept the compromise of working in a city you're more likely to find a job that will give you enough money to live where you want, rather than finding work in a rural area for a smaller commute but only making a living wage.
>>
>>1096866
Good point. Thanks. That does sound incredibly comfy and practical.
>>
>>1096989
>driving for two hours every day
>practical

Trust me OP you'll stop romanticizing the prospect of rural living soon enough
>>
>>1097078
Yeah driving can be very uncomfy.
>>
>>1096809
Undersupply of engineers? Nigga what??

Well, I suppose if you enacted the Trump plan, there might be an undersupply.
>>
>>1097292
I tend to hear horror stories about Pajeet taking entry-level jobs for less than $20 an hour from recent grads. Whether this is a meme or not I'm unsure.
>>
>>1097078
>Live in suburbs
>Still over 1hr each way to the CBD

It would be soul crushing for me but lots of people I know do it
>>
>>1097820
It's a meme perpetuated by unskilled lazy idiots
>>
>>1096207
>Could life be this comfy?

Depends on your employer. Although this video is satire it is still funyy to watch.

https://youtu.be/x1TsOHyJPpw
>>
>>1096196
> One that doesn't involve knee pads preferably.

you're retarded.

t. med school dropout.
>>
>>1098006
oh, and i'd recommend accounting if you are smart enough to get a CPA. plenty of work in large cities and in suburbs in large cities in public accounting and industry.. a decent amount of work in rural areas if you don't mind doing boring as shit accounting work for factories.
>>
>>1096738
Don't believe him. I graduated in mining engineering a year and a half ago and prospects are terrible. Yes, there are a lot of people planning to retire; there are also too many mining engineers entering the workforce right now. I had a grad class of 60 people - a grad class of 12 used to be the norm. Less than half of us are employed in the mining business.

Starting wages are lower now (~65k) too, and you probably won't find the work comfy.
>>
>>1096738
HR is also a huge thing. Senior metallurgist I know got kicked out of Freeport McMoran for calling Caitlyn Jenner a he.
>>
>>1098036
>>1098035
Yikes, sounds less promising than before certainly. I have no interest in engineering tbqh. I have had friends who went to Kettering, Rose-Hulman, Colorado School of Mines, Rensselaer Polytechnic, Cal Tech, and MIT. Anyway, it changed them and not in a good way. It's hard to explain. Being a PE is cool though. I considered civil once but couldn't handle the banter from mechanical and industrial majors. I'd do software engineering, which is more like applied science anyway. From what I hear about CS and Software engineering the whole ABET-accreditation isn't such a big deal. Whether that's a meme or not is unknown to me. A friend of mine who works as a developer has told me that if I do CS go for the BS and optimally one that's ABET-accredited, but he's said it won't make or break it necessarily. He makes 150k and he's been on his job less than five years as a developer. He went to a good state school in Ohio that wasn't even reputable for computer science. I'm considering it seriously, especially the remote aspects. There's only one school I know of that offers a fully accredited ABET online major. I'd probably have to consider distance learning because of my job, etc. it'd be harder to drop everything and go to a local school. Does ABET accreditation matter for computer science? Is my friend full of it? Also paper science and engineering sounds cool. Is it even a thing anymore?

>>1098006
>>1097820
Accounting is also another very serious consideration. I could get my CPA in 3-4 years. I already have a bachelors I finished in high school. There's a school that offers a post baccalaureate certificate that would allow me to sit for the CPA. I've heard though that accounting is a prestige career though and that if you didn't work for KPMG or Ernst & Young don't even fucking bother. Can anyone shed any light on this? Why'd you leave med school? I have a friend who's about to try his hand at it.
>>
>>1097825
I used to live in Ohio, and commuting is a way of life. Driving doesn't bother me so much. Traffic does though.

>>1097896
Good to know. I figured it was bullshit but I like to give people the benefit of the doubt even if it sounds absurd.

>>1098004
I'll check it out and let you know what I think. Thanks.

>>1098015
I ask because my friends doing a special masters program in physiology at the University of Cincinnati. It's a de facto back door admissions tool. If he does well enough he can be admitted to their MD program provided he does well enough on his MCAT as well. And like I've said the slog just sounds awful. Or is it the debt?
>>
>>1098004
Tippity top kek. Thanks for that
>>
>>1098451
plenty of opportunities outside of Big 4 public accounting firms. i quit med school because staring at textbooks and powerpoint slides for 6-8 hours a day, six days a week made me want to kill myself, as did the prospects of being in education or training and working 80 hours a week until I was in my early 30s. starting a masters in accounting program this fall semester.
>>
>>1098677
Good To know. Thanks. I can see how it would be soul crushing.

Really? So even if I got a rinky dink certificate from a smaller school and I sat for the CPA opportunity would still be there. Cool. Good luck on the masters btw.
>>
>>1096866

mind if I ask which rural community you're referring to?

living in Vancouver at the moment but I had no idea there were rural areas that close to the city

would be a very comfy lifestyle indeed
>>
soft bump
>>
CPO, you can do it town from town. the only thing that you should think about is that if you want to work for yourself you have to get the business, accounting is quite universal and needed all around though.
>>
>>1100834
CPO? Sorry, not familiar with this one.
>>
last bump
>>
Hey Op. Fellow country mouse born in the city here. I made it out and you can to.
Some jobs in demand in rural areas include-

-carpenter
-electrician
-plumber
-mechanic
-trucker/transport
>>
having trouble nailing down a grad job (acc/ fin) at any of the larger mid tier firms in my state.

should i suck it up and start applying to local firms looking for grad students? (i would still be able to complete my cpa/ca while working)
would this be a stepping stone to something greater or would i get stuck in a rut of a mediocre job?
i've already had a 6month break since uni and i feel like extending this would only hurt me, i am currently working buy it isn't relevant to my degree.
>>
>>1102502
Thanks.
>>
>>1096189
Actuary here. Your adviser is full of shit and doesn't know about actuarial work.

There are tons of actuarial jobs in major cities like New York or Philly, but there are just as many, if not more, in cities like Hartford or Des Moines. Even in cities like Boston or Philly, the companies are often located in suburbs anyway so there's no real reason to work or live in the city proper.

I work for a Hartford area company and live 10 minutes from the suburban office. My house is in a rural small town, on a 10 acre parcel.
>>
>>1103510
That's encouraging. Good to know she's full of it. I'm not surprised. 10 acres sounds ideal and comfy.
>>
>>1099079
Tsawwassen
>>
>>1103510
>>1103549
To add- several insurers set up in the middle of nowhere decades ago and still have HQs there. Think Green Bay sized cities. So if avoiding big cities is a big deal there are options.
>>
>>1103650
What do you do for a living?
>>
>>1103650
>Mountains on all sides
>North of Tsawassen is Delta/Richmond

U wot m8
>>
>>1103650
dude i think ur making shit up
>>
>>1103689
Perfect. Do you know what cities and areas those are?
>>
>>1096189
Honestly, Law.

This will seem counter-intuitive, but the entire profession is saturated with women who can't argue properly and treat law as the engineering degree of the humanities.

I did an LLB and a BSC in Mathematics and Economics, as well as a bunch of other extra-circular stuff and it paid off.

The key is voluntary work in your early years and taking an internship as early as possible. I spend my first two years of six years in total, working my ass off all summer for free in a local office. Then I took an internship in a rural practise, then three years of straight corporate.
>>
>>1104087
I've seriously considered Law. My old man is attorney and so is my brother. I already have a bachelors like I said that I acquired through post-secondary and AP credit in high school. I've thought about studying my balls off for the LSAT and seeing what happens. I figure the LSAT will be a good indicator of whether or not I should bother going. Both my brother and father have seriously tried to dissuade me from going into law. But that being said, I have and will consider it.
>>
>>1096196
There's absolutely nothing comfy about medicine. Its eating away my soul
>source:first year medicine resident in a major University program
>>
>>1096803
Buddy of mine just got a position at a Vale Inco mine, they told him to only expect to keep the position for 5 years...
>>
>>1104112
What's your residency in if I may ask? I seriously considered psychiatry as a career, but it's so controversial as a field and there are so many anti-psychiatry kooks out there I thought I'd pass. Medical school and residency and then optional specialization and sub specialization just sound horrible honestly, like a long dreadful slog.
>>
>>1104177
He'd be extremely lucky to last even that long.

Hell, he's lucky to have been hired by a major in the first place.
>>
>>1096189
Easiest job I had was ticket sales for local theater. Sit on my ass, shoot the shit with hipsters and libcucks, sell tickets and read 4chan. They even paid me 18 an hour to do it. My biggest regret is quitting that job for school. I could still be working their and investing my money.
>>
>>1104324
That's exactly what it is. Only benefit to medicine is the pay. My family is all medicine and none of them are very happy or enjoyable people anymore. Medicine is good if it's your passion but don't do it for the money, the money isn't that good for the ammount of work and school.
>>
>>1104346
My easiest job was working for a university while I attended in the faculty secretary's office. It paid a little more than minimum wage. It certainly wasn't a livable wage. But 18 an hour working in a movie theater is pretty generous. I've heard most pay minimum wage or so. It sounds like it was perfect sinecure.

>>1104350
That's pretty much what I figured. Like engineering changing friends, I can only imagine what medicine would do seeing as it's more of a lifestyle than a career. I'm sure depending if one does what's called the ROAD to happiness residencies or something considered easy, disdainful like psychiatry, life's better, but it takes a long to kick ones feet up.
>>
>>1096189
Be a government bureaucrat. Most state capitols are small towns. I moved to Juneau, AK for an accounting job (30,000 population). Nice salary (65K entry level - I'm at 90 now after 3 years. Its easy to move up as most state employees are lazy union flacks) with guaranteed wage increases every year and low expectations of work performance.
>>
>>1105096
This sounds perfect. How is Alaska? How're the drivers? Is sexual assault really that much of an epidemic? Are native Alaskans (the Inuits) that big of shit heads? Is getting your own subsidy that awesome? Are people friendly to non-Alaskans? Is there a lot of white trash? How would you rate Alaska versus your state of origin? I'm thinking of getting my CPA so this sounds awesome.
>>
>>1096853
>implying you could afford to buy farmland.
>>
>>1096189
>actuarial science
don't, its hell
i made a mistake 2 years ago picking this
>>
>>1105498
why is it hell?

(i'm not interested in it despite having a bachelors in math, just curious as to why you hate it.)
>>
>>1105510
I'm aiming for a 1st rather than a 2:1 and the only free time I have is 2 hours, 1 hour for lunch and 1 hour for dinner, its the most stressful thing I've ever done despite being good at maths and never having an issue with it before.
>>
>>1105411
>implying I'm buying a farm in California >or a ranch in Nevada or Texas

Kek
>>
>>1105513
Are you a full fellow, an assistant, or an associate? I'll take your advice. It's also a fucking slog that can take a decade. I've heard competition for actuarial jobs is fierce anyway.
>>
>>1105968
Wtf I thought there was a good demand for this shit.

Am I fucked then?
>>
>Hedge Fund
>Private Equity
>Corporate Finance
>Management Consulting

With the specific purpose of fucking and starting your own Holding Company in X years.
>>
>>1098739

If you can call yourself an accountant you'll always be able to pull decent money. I'm making $40k a year at my first job (sitting for the CPA later this year) and all I really need for the position is a basic knowledge of debits, credits, and how to do a reconciliation.

I'm planning on going big 4 after I pass the exam just because that's where the real hardcore accountants pay their dues, but if you'd rather not sell your soul it isn't necessary.
>>
>>1106307
whats the best way to become an accountant for the big 4? is college/uni necessary?
>>
>>1106519
apply and at least have some personality

>is college/uni necessary?

nope, not in the UK at least: E&Y specifically blind themselves to academic grades when recruiting

if you're a non grad you'll need to pass AAT exams first before you can start the 3/4 year process to study for your ACA exams

I think the US is a bit different as CPA has some college requirements and is easier/quicker to get once you've graduated from an accountancy degree - in the UK any degree is acceptable and there is a longer professional training period/more exams to pass
>>
>>1105498
>>1105968
>>1105513

He's nothing but a washout candidate, OP. The point of the exam process is to weed out those who can't hack it.
>>
>>1106077
>>1106077
There is good demand, but you have to fit the mold of the ideal candidate.

Shit-tier actuarial students are a dime a dozen these days because everyone thinks they deserve a comfy job simply for doing well at high school math.
>>
>>1106519
I really don't know, actually. I only ever hear of CPAs going to the big 4, but I'm sure it isn't exclusive. But a college degree would definitely give you the better shot.

There are always smaller accounting firms you can consider too that are likely more relaxed.
>>
File: proof220216.png (18 KB, 818x266) Image search: [Google]
proof220216.png
18 KB, 818x266
Anyone else run adult websites? 100% on autpilot.
>>
>>1106562
oops meant to start my own thread mb.
>>
>>1106562

How does someone get into this? I know how to build web apps, if that helps.
>>
>>1106590
whats your programming level?
>>
>>1106562
sauce?
>>
>>1106564
It's fine. You're fine.

>>1106557
>>1106519
>>1106307
I'm on the fence. The major thing that turns me off to the Big 4, which is where most accountants do pay their dues, is that in order to work there you have to be willing to work ungodly hours. I just don't think I could handle 14 hour minimum work days and that's probably an understatement. I've heard some horror stories. Is every accounting job like that? What are an accountant's typical hours? I imagine tax season sucks, but can it be easier during other quarters or parts of the year? Thanks.

>>1106548
>>1106553
What would be an ideal candidate? Is it okay to be somewhat non-traditional? Thanks for the heads up.
>>
ttt
>>
>>1107084
Public accounting is generally like that from what I understand, but I know there are some more flexible public forms out there. I've talked with some people from Crowe Horwath and they say they can work from home most of the time, making the busy season more tolerable.

Once you get out of the audit world you can definitely find some cushy positions. You could just join an accounting team somewhere and do AP, AR, or just be a staff/general ledger accountant. You could even get on with a small family company and essentially be a glorified bookkeeper. Pay will obviously vary greatly for the easier spots, but you should be able to find something anywhere along the spectrum.

I'm just a GL accountant doing reconciliations and month end close entries making 40k. I'm working for a total cheapskate, and I'm overqualified for the position, so you should be able to do better than that. (This is my first accounting job and my first real job out of college, so I took what I could get.)

I'm obviously no expert, but I hope that sheds some light on the field.
>>
>>1107084
I got off on a tangent and didn't really answer your question.

My hours are usually normal 8 hour work days, but my company is having some growing pains so I've had a few months of 10-12 hour days too. It depends on the company and the corporate culture really.

Hopefully your company will have reconciled their bank statements since 2012.
>>
>>1107705
>>1107698
Thanks. No that was very informative and insightful. I work in higher education already maybe I'll just try my hand at the academic professor game, which is really a meme and lose-lose situation with almost no chance of winning. I just know of myself the most I could work is 60ish hours a week. Accounting sounds like the perfect career for workaholics. I'll have to do some real thinking and soul searching. Thanks again.
Thread replies: 86
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.