[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
is there anything low risk that will give me a constant return
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2
File: +_7faa7d_5334019.jpg (71 KB, 500x628) Image search: [Google]
+_7faa7d_5334019.jpg
71 KB, 500x628
is there anything low risk that will give me a constant return these days? i have 10k sitting idly in my bank and want to put them to use
>>
>>1095632
bonds
>>
Peer to peer lending
>>
some oil stock pushed down to rock bottom by panicking speculators

make sure they didn't put too much into fracking
>>
Ethereum
>>
File: 1455509948485.jpg (102 KB, 1012x675) Image search: [Google]
1455509948485.jpg
102 KB, 1012x675
>>1095650
>>
Buying options on futures.
>>
>>1095645
the only serious answer in this thread
>>
Short term gov bonds breh.
>>
>>1095645
>>1095700

What about treasury notes and bills? Bonds all the way?
>>
the return of govt bonds is fucking .1% in a year i didnt meant something as slow as that. Is there something like in the 3-4% a year?
>>
>>1095731

But anon, 30 year treasury bonds are 3%+.

Honestly, I don't blame you for not knowing. Those government websites are fucking awful.

Frankly, your mom is a lot better.
>>
>>1095632
cd ladder
>>
>>1095632
Bonds, bills, notes, savings, money market accounts. You can get about 2.6% on a 30 year treasury. Which means your money is locked away for 30 years.

Low risk, along with an actual chance of good returns (7-10%+)? Dump money into Vanguard's S&P500 index fund, VOO.

That's it. To get more than that you'll need to do a lot of risk/return juggling and learn a lot more than I expect you care to learn.
>>
Synchrony bank has a pretty good cd that you can break for only 6 months worth of interest. 2.2% return. I got 10k in one
>>
>>1095632
Large, integrated oil companies. Reinvest the dividends and ride the ups and downs until the next oil bubble.

Next depressed industry coming up: banking.
>>
>>1095645
Not understanding that profit is a Risk Reducer in and of itself. High Returns are the lowest Risk things as far as Preservation of Capital. Its literally the returning of capital.
>>1095632
Bonds
>Low Risk
With the coming interest rate hikes and the current half life of the dollar creeping below 4 years. Flat income products are one of the highest risk things you could do. You're fighting an uphill battle with coming rate hikes. You're also fighting exponential inflation rates with flat returns.

Modern portfolio theory is great and all but it promotes a fundamental misunderstanding.
You hedge a portfolio with bonds b/c managers move their money into bonds temporarily to escape losses, It preserves the capital, through short term capital movements.

Today however with rates at near 0, and these products being highly correlated in down moves, because of packaged "risk-free" funds, people just take their money out of the funds in down moves. Making an equity bond mix an ineffectual hedge relative to other products and strategies.

For You OP the only low risk return right now is to educate yourself, about the securities markets.

Equities
Bonds
Futures
Options
Commodities
and how these instruments affect each other in combination and their pricing.

>>1095885
Inflation at 4.3% last year, good job losing 210 2014 dollars.
>>
>>1095944
Are you Chinese?
>>
>>1095944
Great response. Dont forget how illiquid they will be going forward. I would say there is some corporate debt in strong energy companies trading at ridiculous YTMs due to the bad outlook for oil, though. I think Transocean has 2020 issues that are trading somewhere around 15% YTM. That's free money. So there is a point where I would see some near-maturity corporates as good hedges.
>>
>>1095944
>Inflation at 4.3%

Fucking lmao
>>
>>1095944

wen u ppl buy efereum mek price go up?
>>
>>1095767
R-R-R-R-REKT!!!!!!!1!!!!!!
>>
>got 15k sitting in the bank, just in a TSFA
>read all about how you can't time the market
>the more I wait the cheaper the market gets
>feels like a crash is imminent.

Just horde your money till a crash does happen, then you buy
>>
>>1096030
This guy gets it. But youre missing all the mini crashes in individual stocks. Every week I see a couple great opportunities just in my little watchlist
>>
PETR4
>>
>>1096036
Tell me more.
I'm long term, but I have a few $ to fool around with stocks. I don't have the ressources or the time for day-trading, so I'm looking at stocks to hold for a few months, ideally taking advantage of"mini-crashes".
What kind of event do you look for ? Bad PR cases, bad quarterly reports?
I know it's different for each, but I'm trying to understand the general rationale more than specifics. Do you look at extreme volatility as a good thing over a 3-6 months window, or steady companies with a sudden drop?
>>
>>1096124
I pick 5 volatile energy stocks, wait till oil drops below $30 and buy the one that dipped lowest, then when it pops above $30 sell. There's 10% profits to be had every few weeks. You just have to be fairly sure the price is falling due to the oil price, not other issues. Worked so far, although I only buy companies I wouldn't mind holding longterm and who dont face serious bankruptcy risk
>>
>>1095964
shadowstats.com brah
>>
>>1096162
Unironically quoting shadowstats is a quick way to destroy your credibility "brah"
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.