[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I didn't look too much at the thread, but someone a few
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 2
File: pot.jpg (6 KB, 216x234) Image search: [Google]
pot.jpg
6 KB, 216x234
I didn't look too much at the thread, but someone a few weeks ago was asking about whether or not growing marijuana was a viable method of making money. So I have some questions; what is the threshold for making good money in terms of quantity? How much should I sell for? What are startup costs? Etc.
>>
File: 1455093438834-1.png (106 KB, 1062x303) Image search: [Google]
1455093438834-1.png
106 KB, 1062x303
>>1091384
>>
>>1091387
this is gonna be in colorado ya dolt
>>
>>1091398
still illegal federally, goy :^)
>>
>>1091400
that's what i never understood; can ATF or DEA just swoop into any marijuana dispensary in colorado or washington or wherever and just arrest everyone there?
>>
>>1091401

ATF probably wouldn't for several reasons.

DEA is far more likely to avoid targeting state assets because that's a jurisdiction issue.

Basically, even if they can legally enforce Federal law, you REALLY don't want to get into cases where the Federal government and State government start pulling jurisdiction on each other because you'll run into law enforcement agencies taking swings at each other.
>>
>>1091415
and obama specifically told them to let it ride
>>
>>1091415
yeah, i could see some issues arising from that.
>>
>>1091384
My friend has a small grow-op in CA and sells to dispensaries and this is what he told me:

A set of 4 growing lights for 50 plants which will produce 10lbs per month, which can be sold for around 2,500 per pound depending on quality.

Expenses aren't more than 5k monthly but be prepared to spend more
>>
aim for quality, not quantity. use organic grow mediums (bio biz organic soil and nutes are superb) and avoid hydroponics. pack in as many high pressure sodium lamps as you can afford to run. ideally you'll be using around 1 x 600 watt HPS lamp for every ten plants. these lamps range from 150-1,000 watts per bulb, 600 watt units produce the most lumens for the power used. go for extremely potent strains like green crack, afghan kush, blue cheese etc. they won't yield as much as some other strains, but people will pay more for better quality weed. (attitude seedbank is an awesome source of seeds)
also consider making unique, connoisseur cannabis. e.g make concentrates like budder, then soak an already extremely powerful strain like green crack in the extract, and dust with kief. something this powerful will sell for absolutely insane amounts of money.
don't waste any of the plant. with the leaves and stalks, google how to make resin/hash. it won't be worth nearly as much as the bud but people still buy it.
so, yeah, quality over quantity. if you go pure organic, do a couple of small grows to learn how it's all done and to inevitably fuck something up, then produce absolutely the best, perfectly grown, trimmed, manicured and cured bud. people will pay 2,3,4 times as much for top-shelf quality, you've just gotta learn to perfect your farming skills.

fuck i wish it was legal here. i'd love to be a cannabis farmer. good luck op.
>>
>>1091384
Indoor or outdoor?
Totally legal/medical or not?
Do you own any land?
Do you want to use investors?
Do you have any experience farming?
Do you have any experience growing weed? On a large scale?
>>
>>1092831
outdoor
legal
40 acres
no investors
no experience(but am in school for biology rn)
no experience
>>
>>1091929
How have been the experience with competence?

I mean, even if legal, there's a lot of illegal stuff on the street which competes with it because lol, drugs; in other words, if a guy becomes a notorious marijuana farmer / producer, what are the chances some drug cartel will try to take a share of his operations?
>>
>>1092955
You have very little chance at success. Margins are tight, the market is flooded, and your lack of experience will kill you.
>>
>>1091384
Do you need a license or anything? Or can you just grow in Colorado and never get in trouble for it? I mean for personal consumption.
>>
Why the hell does everyone wanna move to COLORADO and grow? I've heard hundreds of people say this, and not one mention any of the other legal or medical states.

>>1091929
10/10 post even if I don't agree with some of your advice.

Right now in Colorado (and every rec+medical state for that matter) the demand for high quality concentrates is insane. Even some places in Denver I've seen essentially butane soup sold for $60/g. Rosin consistently fetches $60-80/g, because while it is a bit more of a rough smoke, it keeps the terpene profile somewhat intact.
>>
>>1091929
> avoid hydroponics

WHY?
>>
>>1092967
>what are the chances some drug cartel will try to take a share of his operations?
no idea, i've only ever grown small ops for personal consumption, so i've never stepped on any toes. i do know a guy who had people with shotguns turn up at his door and steal his plants though. tell anyone that you're growing and, if you're lucky enough to not go to prison, you might well end up robbed. not like you can call the police.
>>1094579
>Colorado
so jealous of coloradobros. in the uk i could potentially get 14 years for growing. insanity.
>>1094582
lower quality weed, organics smell nicer and produce more dense buds. people will tell you that you'll get a greater yield with hydro, but in reality the difference is fairly trivial. plus if something goes wrong with an organic grow, worst case scenario tends to be that your plants die. worst case with hydro is that your house is flooded and the grow room sets on fire, as well as the plants dying. plus hydro is massively more complicated. getting the PH balance and nutes mix right is a pain, whereas with soil you just stick the seed in a pot and feed when appropriate.

a couple more things which are absolutely essential but fuck noobs hard...

1: you NEED a "heavy duty contactor" to turn your lights on and off. something like this...
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Light-Contactor-Hydroponics-Lighting-Relay/dp/B00MHUAKQK
if you plug your lights straight into a conventional timer or straight into the mains, the switch won't be able to handle the power load, and will fuse. the majority of grow room fires are caused by this.

2: avoid digital lighting ballasts. few know about this even though increasingly people are being busted in recent years...
http://www.rollitup.org/t/warning-digital-electronic-ballasts-can-get-you-busted-the-a-m-radio-test.497790/

character limit. couple more things...
>>
>>1094841
cont...
don't scrimp on your carbon filter. flowering plants not only stink to high heaven, but have a smell which is distinctly different from that of dried/burning cannabis. any copper who has been in a grow room will immediately notice the smell of cannabis growing as opposed to being smoked, and in the uk that's enough for a warrant (can't find source, assure you it's true) "mountain air" filters are great. unfortunately you get what you pay for when it comes to odour scrubbing, and decent carbon filters will set you back a few hundred. don't bother with the unbranded cheap filters you'll see in abundance on ebay.

FLIR is a big problem nowadays if you have a substantial grow room. see here...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRbBu8nkjRk
so you need to vent that hot air out of the grow room and either up the chimney or into another room in the house. heat signatures will fuck you if you're not careful. for small grows it's not a problem.

man i wish i could grow. i miss my plants so much. fucking stupid drug laws.
>chugs some legal, poisonous vodka to dull the pain
>>
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-35576136
> street value of $1.26 billion
i wonder how much longer this ridiculous war on drugs bullshit is gonna go on for? after what, 100 years of this shit? i'm pretty much convinced that those who fight for drugs to remain illegal, are dealers.
>>
I work at a grow in California
>~50 lights
>~2 - 300 plants
you can start turning a decent profit with 50 plants ~4 lights, $4,000 setup mid-higher end. honestly it depends on you

the guy I work for doesn't really give a fuck about his shit. recently had another guy sharecrop with him and do all the work. the guy was barely there - decent turnout

you can make as much as the effort you put in, like anything else

feel free to start by selling clones - year around money and less potential for stress
>>
>>1092975
>saturated market
wrongo buddy
my guy had a crop with a ton of pm recently - sold $2.1 per pound, and this was to people flipping it for more

granted it's legal there, I'm in arguably the second most popular area
it's a cash crop
>>
>>1094880
Does your guy sell to dispensaries? How many pounds per plant?
>>
>>1094887
no and idk
>>
>>1094887
theoretically it's a pound per light - that's generally the standard he's told me
we're dealing with a bit and he shared this crop so yeah, idk
>>
Who do you sell the weed to after you grow it? If you have too many customers, who're most likely gonna be young lads, the chances of someone getting caught and getting snitched goes way up don't it?
>>
>>1094890
>theoretically it's a pound per light
it's often said that you'll get around 1lb per 1,000 watts of HPS, but in practice it varies so wildly that it's pointless speculating. there are too many environmental variables for there to be a reliable way to calculate yield, not to mention the fact that every plant is a living thing, a unique entity. two seeds from the same plant, much like two sperm from a human, may create very different plants. you've just gotta go through trial and error then cross your fingers.
1lb per 1k watts is pro as fuck btw, nobody without a lot of experience is gonna get close to that weight.
>>
>>1094895
know people dealing with a lot
we sold half to some niggaz who were apparently flipping the entire day in public, in cars - another half to a guy with a veritable candy shop, who also flipped it immediately
>>
>>1094316
You can grow 5 plants for personal consumption.

>>1094582
Hydro isn't for the beginner. The nutrients need to be just right, which is difficult to achieve. All of the big growers I know use soil.

>>1094841
>with soil you just stick the seed in a pot
No one grows from seed on a large scale.

>>1094879
>~50 lights
>~2 - 300 plants
That sounds way too crowded.

>>1094880
But that's not in Colorado. You can get a pound of quality flower for 1,100$ In Denver.

>>1094887
>Does your guy sell to dispensaries?
No.
>How many pounds per plant?
That depends on many factors.

>>1094890
A pound per 1,000 watt light is standard, but you can get up to three with Gavitas.

>>1094898
Dude. No one with more than five plants is growing from seed.
>>
>>1095030
>No one with more than five plants is growing from seed.
lots do, you can't clone an auto afaik
>>
>>1095098
No one who grows for a living is using auto flower strains.
>>
>>1091415
This doesn't help investing though. I mean why poor money into something where the legality depends on the president. And in an election year.

I could see some huge returns if you start something, but you know.
>>
you only have a couple more years to do it then it'll be federally legal and marlboro will grow it, get in on that weed rush while you still can
>>
>>1095332
>marlboro will grow it

Ugh, my biggest fear. You want the shittiest mexi-brick you can find in your smokes you picked up @ 7/11? Just let these fuckers produce it. Also you know it's not going to be 100% just weed in that paper.
>>
>>1095357
Cant wait for american spirits 100% non gmo organic jointette
>>
>>1095103
well how about someone's first grow? surely everyone has to start from seed.
you certainly do in the uk, clones are illegal as fuck, whereas seeds are legal.
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.