[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are the best programming languages/skills to learn for getting
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 5
File: palestinian.jpg (88 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
palestinian.jpg
88 KB, 480x480
What are the best programming languages/skills to learn for getting a nice job and what are the best ways to learn them on your own?

I've picked up SQL and VBA from doing weiner shit on Access and Excel and it's just now occurring to me that I could learn real languages and go out and make twice as much. How do I do that?
>>
Learn web programming. Start with the basics, HTML, CSS, and JS. Entry level web dev is ~$90K.
>>
>>1090877
>entry level web dev is $90k

LOL where?

That's not even the median salary for software engineers.
>>
File: Imaginationland.jpg (1 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Imaginationland.jpg
1 MB, 1920x1080
>>1090879
>>
>>1090879
Here in San Francisco
>>
>>1090875
Pick up some old stuff that the kids don't like like COBOL. A bank will hire you straight away $300K entry level + benefits.
>>
>>1091094
$300k starting? Pffft I've seen $500k starting HTML + CSS developer listings.

Even $1million starting for C#.net
>>
>>1091084
Where rent and overall cost of living eats up a large chunk of your paycheck?
>>
>>1090877
>Entry level web dev is ~$90K.

xD
>>
>>1091108
As a c# developer I can attest to this.
>>
File: 1.jpg (41 KB, 833x350) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
41 KB, 833x350
>>1091244
>le epic cost of living meme

Learn shell scripting OP. Any system worth it's salt is on Linux and needs some command line nerds
>>
>>1091307
This is literally true. We just did a contract-to-hire with a guy who came out of a coding bootcamp and now he makes 100k/yr. He hustled his ass off, though.
>>
>>1091094
Actual COBOL developer here. Probably depends on where you live (I'm in the south, but near a major city) but $300k is WAY too much. COBOL developers start at $70k-ish and top out around $200k. This is for a salaried developer. If you are a consultant the sky is the limit but your employment isn't going to be steady so take that as you will.
>>
>>1090875
How likely are you to get hired with some knowledge of programming languages and skills without any applicable experience? I see entry level web dev stuff all the time, but that's about it.
>>
File: m'lady.jpg (7 KB, 231x244) Image search: [Google]
m'lady.jpg
7 KB, 231x244
>>1090886
>>
>>1090875
Holy shit, this thread is pathetic.

Learn Java (optional: familiarize yourself with the spring framework). Supplement with a scripting language like js (maybe familiarize yourself with a framework like ember, backbone, etc) , ruby (maybe pick up RoR) or python (maybe pick up djano).
>>
>>1090875
Familiarize yourself with AWS, version control like git (start a free public repo on github), learn to use build tools like grade and maven.
>>
>>1091893
gradle*. For interviews, go through and understand every problem in "cracking the coding interview". Go on careercup and do problems everyday. Familiarize yourself with a popular IDE (eclipse, intellij, VS), depending on your stack
>>
>>1091756
It's absolutely possible, but if you're having trouble landing a position and you feel job experience is the limiting factor,
I suggest picking up contact work. The benefits are worse, but the screening process is often more lax than for a full time position. What's more, some companies make an effort to shift successful contractors over to full time (usually with a follow up interview). If no transition is offered, you walk away with enough experience to land a full position elsewhere. I contracted at Amazon as an SDE for before shifting to a full time position at another large Seattle software company.
>>
>>1091918
Contract work*
>>
>>1091891
I make my own Runescape bots in java that are undetectable (almost). Learned in middle school and still bot for extra cash on the side. Would I be able to land a job?
>>
File: 80s biz.jpg (50 KB, 941x760) Image search: [Google]
80s biz.jpg
50 KB, 941x760
>>1092017
How much do you pull roughly?
>>
>>1090877

Kek. No.
>>
>>1090875
Actually, in many markets, there's no benefit to learning more than that. While you can do little stuff, you're the office whiz kid. When you can do more, they try to replace you with Pajeet(s).
>>
>>1091611
I was joking about the amount, but still good to know you can make money with COBOL, I hope you are doing well.
It always seems the US values software dev skills way more than Europe. Around 60K euros I'm already topped out.
>>
>>1094135
There's a variety of reasons you'd be making a smaller number in Europe, not all of which have to do with "valuing developer skills". You also have to consider taxes, cost of living, health of the business, etc. Any company with a mainframe is going to value COBOL skills because otherwise stuff doesn't get done. Right now there's also a hiring problem in the US where there simply aren't enough COBOL developers to go around. Most of them are in their 50s, 60s, or even 70s and retiring... or dying, and there aren't enough younger people to replace them. It's pretty much to the point where if you can spell "COBOL" you can get a job, and many companies are rolling out their own training programs because the schools aren't teaching it anymore (US universities have become more a place to get drunk and/or get mad about social justice than learning a skill).

I was fortune enough to get pulled into a company right out of college that was taking anyone with a pulse and signing them up for 70k+ careers and it's still going great.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.