[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Best way to save money is to never move out?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 2
File: BABBY HOW IS FORMED.jpg (54 KB, 655x436) Image search: [Google]
BABBY HOW IS FORMED.jpg
54 KB, 655x436
So, I am 29 now, and I still haven't moved out. My mom is poor and disabled and can't afford her mortgage. I pay half, which is $300 a month. I also buy groceries and internet and things like that. The cheapest ghetto apartments around here are $850 a month and they're like 700 sq ft... cost does not include utilities or parking. If I move out my mom would lose her house, and I can't justify spending $800 a month on something shitty like a tiny apartment. The bad side of this I live in perpetual clutter and hoarding at this house, and can't make friends or date. I am still a dateless virgin.

Is it smart business to stay here and keep paying $300/mo and saving money forever? Should I just plan to never move out and just invest the extra income?

I want to see what /biz/ thinks. Before anyone says "other relatives can support your mom" there are none, and if any were around, they're ever more poor.

Pic related: it's a mommy
>>
Might as well. You could also clean the house too. At a certain point you are supporting your mom rather than the opposite so a good girl (esp one in her 30s ie getting desperate) wouldn't be put off.
>>
>>1085947

You're basically getting to live somewhere nice and help your mom.

People here will give you a lot of shit here, but living with your family and just paying for part or all of their mortgage/bills/whatever is way better than renting (at least for savings) if both parties don't mind the arrangement.
>>
>>1085958

I just wish I could drink and stuff. I also want to do degenerate furfaggot stuff and I can't. First world problems.
>>
>>1085965

Oh yeah, that sucks. That's why I'm considering moving into a duplex and renting out the other half, but part of me worries that won't be private enough so maybe I'll just keep living here and rent out both halves of the duplex.
>>
>>1085947
It's a smart financial move, but it's gonna be tough if you ever want to find a girlfriend let alone start a family.

Ultimately, it depends on your priorities, anon.
>>
im 29 also and have a baby, I'd save up your money and buy your own house. Build up your credit, put down a fat chunk of change down on a home and make it your own. Get a good job though. I've been in the apartment industry for 9 years now and I can tell you apartments are not worth it. And by the sounds of it, it sounds like you live in or near a big city. Big cities are expensive as all hell.
>>
Move, change, adapt.

The time has come anon.
>>
>>1085985

>Get a good job though

I make about $60k/yr now and I think that is pretty good for 29 + no college education + no debt? You guys would have to be the judge

>>1085986
>>1085981
>>1085970

Yeah :( I will probably make the jump this summer - either renting or buying a $100k - $128k home.
>>
You sound like a loser so getting a gf is out of the question anyways. Stay home, take care of your mom and save your money. Don't spend it on stupid shit
>>
>>1085947
Help out your disabled mother for god sakes why the fuck are you asking us
>>
>>1086003
what do you clear after taxes dude

300 bucks a month is like a car payment, you could move out of mommies and get your dick wet and still help the old lady by paying half
>>
>>1086327
>car payment

so many good used vehicles out there, why would anyone pay 300 $ payments on a car when they can buy something half decent used for 1200 to get from point a to b
>>
>>1086340
that is so fucking irrelevant, the point is dudes staying at home to "save" 300 bucks a month

thats not "saving" after age 22, its emotional immaturity
>>
>>1086343
>>1086343
Underage detected

Emotional immaturity is leaving your disabled mother alone because she's cramping your style and you're afraid you won't get any puss.
>>
I'm with you OP. I moved back to my hometown to live with my wife in her parents' house. Her dad is paraplegic and there was just too much work that required lifting heavy/reaching high/whatever so I came back and started helping out. It felt fucking awesome. Her mom is first generation and she said it was common in the old country for families to stay in an "estate" together (they still live in a starter home but you get the idea). I saved money like it was my fucking job and I loved it, I felt like I might be able to afford my own plot of land someday soon and really get shit started.

The president at my wife's company gave her shit about living with her parents though accidentally one day and she got really self conscious after that and we decided to move into an apartment like 15 miles away. I can still save, but not nearly to the extent I was saving at her parents' house.

The stereotype is that you're a leech and a parasite and a mooch for living with your parents but you can still be productive and successful, they're not fucking mutually exclusive. I'd kill to go back to that way of life.
>>
>>1086364
>I live in perpetual clutter and hoarding at this house, and can't make friends or date. I am still a dateless virgin.
>I pay half, which is $300 a month
>>
If you can transfer or co-sign the home loan do that instead, at least you'll build equity in the long term and you feel your "ownership" in the house. My buddy did something similar, but you know your priorities best
>>
You need to:
1. Co sign the home loan as suggested above. If you are paying for half, you should get half of the equity.
2. Along with taking ownership you need to take ownership of your home. Clean it. Save up for an industrial bin and dump what you can not sell on ebay. Get the house cleaned up so it is not a disgusting shithole no girl would enter.
3. Take care of your mom.
4. Understand taking care of your family (who genuinely needs it) is not a burden, but a sign of a well adjusted person.
>>
Why dont you just take girls out to hotels with all the money you're saving. Tbh your whole situations sounds weak and unempowered. You moving out may get you onto the up and up or you might just dwell in your own degeneracy. My point is just that moving out sounds like a way to get something going on in your life and that there are much better ways of doing that.

--thats the way i figured it for my own situation...
>>
>>1086343

Uh no, I would not be "Saving" $300 a month. I would be saving like $1200+ after rent and utilities
>>
ITT: literally the only reason to move out is to get your dick wet

can't believe you people still give a shit about this in the current year AD
>>
>>1086628

IKR? I just want to drink alcohol and get a fursuit, and I can't do that here
>>
>>1086628
How old are you?
>>
>>1086642
I make $75k and still live with my parents

>>1086638
you'll get bored of getting drunk unless you're an alcoholic
i bet the fursuit desire is just as fleeting
>>
>>1086658

I'm 20 and by the time I graduate next year I don't know I'd be able to put put up with it. Living at home during university so it might be different for you if you didn't.

Saving up is tempting but It can feel like you're selling your youth at times.
>>
Your situation is unique because of your mother's health. Do what seems right

Housing is always my biggest question when people talk about saving money. It's bifurcating society into feudalism essentially. Maybe will change in Canada I hope but it might also cost me my job... Shameful state of things
>>
>>1086664
i did not live at home
it gave me nothing
it took a bunch of rent and utility money
all of your desires are fleeting and meaningless

a ton of money is not
>>
>>1086664

I've enjoyed my youth rather well living at home, and I've been able to help my disabled father and unemployed mother stay in a comfortable home.

I am making plans to move nearby so I can have my own place, but for this stage of my life I've not regretted standing by my family.
>>
>Living with your fucking mom past 25 years of age

Yeah you're fucked. If you're a dateless virgin by almost 30 years old you've got no chance anymore.

Honestly at this point you might as well live with her until your 50's. Not like you'll be making friends or losing your virginity any year soon.
>>
>>1085947
OP how much is left on your moms mortgage?
>>
>>1085947
Move in with a friend maybe? Im almost 30 now, and i moved out in my early 20s, but no i need to save some money for a car so i rented a house with one of my friends (he broke up with his gf so he had to move out) and had a great monthly cost reduction.
>>
>>1086626
$1,200 per month x 12 months/year = $14,500 year
I've no idea what business you can start or get into holding that much money 12 months from now, but it sure beats having zero savings to invest.
Maybe trade a couple cars bikes and/or yearly, if you have somewhere to park them?
>>
File: laughing-emoji.jpg (107 KB, 800x770) Image search: [Google]
laughing-emoji.jpg
107 KB, 800x770
>>1085981
>>1086322
>>1086364
>>1086387
>>1086628
>>1087695
>>1087707
>MFW people on this board will unironically defend and even SUPPORT living with your parents past 25 years of age and having no social life or freedom in order to save <$20k/year

Jesus I think I forgot that this board was a containment board.

You guys seriously trade the best years of your life in exchange for saving a measly <$20k/yr? Ok i guess...

Maybe if some of you actually moved out in your early 20's you'd have some motivation and learn some lifeskills besides buying memecoins and robinhood.
>>
>>1087700

It's nowhere near paid off. My mom is poor and was unemployed for many years. I believe she actually owes as much or more on it now than when she bought it 15-17 years ago. It's in pretty bad shape; needs a roof. Water leaked into the walls and there's mold now. There's a lot of wood that is pure rot.

>>1087706

I have no friends. My coworkers are all married and own houses.

>>1087707

Nah, I have no garage and nowhere to park :(

>>1087714

2/10 - 1990's-born unemployed millennial troll
>>
>>1087725
>2/10 - 1990's-born unemployed millennial troll

How exactly is it a troll? It's all in the pudding.

>I have no friends. My coworkers are all married and own houses.
There you go.
>>
>>1087725
we need pictures of your hoarder home anon, to help build a case

honestly if the debts not getting paid off yeah cut that place out of your life. could your mom qualify for disability? that's probably her only hope if she can't hold down a job.
>>
>>1087750
>we need pictures of your hoarder home anon, to help build a case

lol never

>honestly if the debts not getting paid off yeah cut that place out of your life. could your mom qualify for disability? that's probably her only hope if she can't hold down a job.

yeah she has been on disability for a year, but it doesn't cover the cost of the mortgage and utilities and groceries. It simply doesn't pay out enough.
>>
>>1087766
Move out you fucking loser.

You have no friends and you're a virgin still living with your mom at 30 and you STILL think that it's a "troll" to move out of your parents house?

Do you have literally no self-awareness at all? 10/10 I'm angry at how retarded and unselfaware you are.
>>
>>1087714
>the best years of your life
my entire life will be misery from beginning to end, housing shill
>>
>>1087769
you are wrong.

>>1087766
if the house is literally decaying and you're paying an endless mortgage AND have a salaried job yeah, go find a house for sale and put a down payment on it, and agree to terms that actually exist. then you can at least get a house for it.

sounds like your mom has some serious issues and is having her income milked by a slum lord. gtfo there bro.
>>
>>1087774
>my entire life will be misery from beginning to end, housing shill

And being a largely unmotivated person who can clearly afford his own housing with his $60k/yr salary and having no social life is any good?

I just don't understand how anyone on this board can actually defend such a manchild attitude to the world. I know it's hard to move out and it's scary to be a big boy but the time has come.

>>1087775
>you are wrong.

Good argument.
>>
>>1087769
>>1087775
>>1087776

I don't want my mom and younger sibling to lose this house though :(

Also if I move out I will just be lonely and eat hot pockets all the time

IDK

I have looked at houses but they are fucking expensive. Then I am stuck living in one house forever
>>
>>1087714
This is how you spot under 25 retard.
OP, lots of women find it attractive that you're help your mom and living with her so she doesn't get hurt. It shows you're caring and responsible. I used to be like this retard>>1087714 but then I moved out and realized how stupid my decision became. Women have their own places and if they like you, they will invite you back to their place to get your dick wet. If you want to meet a girl, you have to be honest about your situation. You'll be surprised how many women will like you. Most millineals "men" are manchilds and they only care about their instagram, faceshit, and other narcissistic pasttimes. At your age women are looking to settle down if that's your thing. Otherwise just fuck bar sluts in the bar bathroom. Why do you think the bathroom in those places smell like chlorine?
>>
>>1087782
>OP, lots of women find it attractive that you're help your mom and living with her so she doesn't get hurt. It shows you're caring and responsible

Yeah... So MANY women find it attractive that he's a virgin at nearly 30 years of age.

He literally needs to buy a human-sized fly swatter to keep them all away! They won't stop trying to crawl through his mom's windows in order to suck his big cock!

>>1087781
>Also if I move out I will just be lonely and eat hot pockets all the time

And is this different from what you are doing right now?
>>
>>1087776
he will move out and still have no social life

it's over
>>
>>1086003

definitely buy.

You are in a good position to do so, and will benefit greatly from this investment. Especially if you rent out 1 - 2 rooms.

Just gotta buy a good one. Good inspection, right price.
>>
>>1087788
>And is this different from what you are doing right now?

I have my family to hang out with and talk to and once and a while mom cooks up some food

>>1087790

this

OK but back to /biz/ness - is it even possible to buy a house without a down payment? There's no way I can save up enough money to put 20% down or whatever they want
>>
>>1087810
>There's no way I can save up enough money to put 20% down or whatever they want

Confirmed troll.
I got trolled :'(

>Makes $60k/yr
>Has almost no expenses at all due to living with his mom
>CAN'T AFFORD DOWNPAYMENT

Fuck this board
>>
what the fuck

man seriously i can get moving out maybe
but don't listen about buying a house right off the bat what the hell
you don't have kids and you're not going to why the hell do you need a house
>>
I am fucking confused
>>
>>1087838
What do you spend your $60k/yr salary if you have no friends and spend $300/month living with your mom?

You should have $100k+ saved up. Depending on how long you've been working tho
>>
I live with my parents too, although I would be delusional if I claimed it was for purely financial reasons. I pay them a nominal amount in rent but I'm still probably a net drain.

Honestly would prefer to be a dateless virgin on my own property where I could jerk off in peace. No way I'm taking on a mortgage for that though. I've been thinking about buying a vacant lot and moving a trailer on it. It's not like my current situation is any more dignified.
>>
>>1087840

I have only had this salary for a couple years. Before that it was like $9/hr

I spend about (MONTHLY) $150 on gas, $70 on cellphone, $150 on pet food, $150 on groceries, the already mentioned $300 for mortgage, $200 for lunches, and $95 for car insurance
>>
>>1087851
>I spend about (MONTHLY) $150 on gas, $70 on cellphone, $150 on pet food, $150 on groceries, the already mentioned $300 for mortgage, $200 for lunches, and $95 for car insurance

This totals to $13380 per year.

Not sure if your $60k/yr is after tax or not but you should have $30-50k saved up at the very least.

Do you? How much do you have currently?
>>
>>1087858

After insurance and taxes it's like $34k/yr I think

I don't know math is hard

I don't have that much money no, not even close. I am not comfortable telling you how much I have, but it's maybe like 5%-10% of that
>>
>>1087878
>I don't have that much money no, not even close. I am not comfortable telling you how much I have, but it's maybe like 5%-10% of that

So you're lying about your expenses or just a retard?

Even if it's 34k/yr(it's probably not but I'm not sure what state you're in) that should still be $20k saved per year, hell even let's say you spend an additional 6.6k on dildos and buttplugs every year, you should be saving ~$15k/yr... And you don't have that?
>>
>>1087878
You're hopeless. You've spent the entire thread making excuses. You know the consequences of not moving out, there's no more information we can give you.

Btw IIRC no bank will give you a loan without at LEAST 10% down
And holy fuck dude I'm a college student working $9/hr part time for the past year and I have close to 5 grand saved up wtf do you do with your money
>>
>>1085947
I agree to a point. If you're working and making money I see nothing wrong with living at home. If you're neet and not even trying to make money your ass shoukd move out.

My folks let me move back in with them and I barely have to pay anything. I can save pretty much every dollar I make and it's been nice. Just have to do shit around the house and take their dogs out.
>>
>>1087884
>You're hopeless. You've spent the entire thread making excuses. You know the consequences of not moving out, there's no more information we can give you.

It's the manchild mentality gone too far.

This is why every self-respecting man and woman who wishes to become moderately successful needs to move out as soon as they can. So that they don't warp into OP's, so they don't start making ridiculous excuses and being so hugely delusional.

Yes it sucks to spend money on rent and other living expenses but the life lessons it teaches you and the motivation it gives you is invaluable.

The vast, vast majority of people simply do not ever feel a "need" to excel, or do more if they live with their parents. There's simply no pushing force there, they will always work at below 70% maximum effort, at best.
>>
>>1087884

Bought a $3500 car in 2015, paid surgery bills for a family member (after insurance $3660)... $600 maintenance for brakes + wheel hub repair.... probably about $400 in 2015 for maintaining the car (oil changing, fluids, keeping it clean, etc)... had to fix an oven.... replaced a freezer.... uhh...

IDK man, shit adds up. I think I'm doing OK with what savings I have, all things considered.

I guess I will stay here another few years and save more money to buy a house

I think I need to not ask /biz/ real life advice, it makes /biz/ angry :( lol
>>
>>1087890
We get you love talking about yourself. Hasn't anyone told you this before?
>>
>>1087919
But I'm talking about OP.

he keeps making excuses despite recongnizing that what he is currently doing isn't working ,by all measures.

What you said is just plain retarded.
>Women find men who are 30 years old and live with their parents attractive! Don't worry op!
But why is he a virgin with no friends then, self-admittedly?
>>
Hate to admit it really is a good financial move

I moved out at 18 and never looked back because of lack of space, retarted sister and over bearing parents

All my friends moved back home after graduating, have half decent jobs and are able to save a ton and pay debt properly this way

Now that I've aged I still can't move back because they live in the middle of nowhere (I would need to get a car which would kill the savings) and the closest town is a cesspool with few jobs that aren't automotive-factory related.

In other words I'm pretty jealous of people who can pull it off
>>
>>1087932
I have mixed feelings about it. It my family wasn't broken and fucked up I might have considered it. I made almost 60k last year but about 30% of my after tax income went to renting a shitty apartment, more if you include utilities. Yeah it teaches you independence but it keeps you off the asset ladder. This economy is fucked though because so much money has gone into unproductive assets like housing and stock buybacks and shit. basically just entrenching wealth where it was already existing.
>>
It's not necessarily bad to live with your parents, but you need to be making some sort of progress in the meantime.
Meaning actively saving for a home, studying at uni stuff like that it's acceptable but not just bumming around because lol expenses
>>
>>1087956

I would replace 'actively saving for a home with 'actively investing or actively saving for assets'.

It's irrelevant whether you choose to buy property that you use to funnel money back to supporting your parents' property or you buy property to move out; the major point is to improve your holdings so that if something happens you can afford to buy your parents' house should they get cucked by someone taking advantage of the elderly/pay off bills on it for them/whatever.
>>
>>1087927
Because he's as clueless as you. I've got a thirty-three year old cousin that pulls more tail in a week than you have your entire life. He JUST recently moved out. He didn't wine&dine any of them, saved up the entire time making $50+ an hour, doing most weeks as double shifts. You know what he isn't? Socially inept. OP's living situation doesn't mean shit, you stupid fucking kid, his ineptitude is what holds him back.
>>
>>1088017
>You know what he isn't? Socially inept. OP's living situation doesn't mean shit, you stupid fucking kid, his ineptitude is what holds him back.

You're missing my point.

I'm saying in MOST cases it strongly sets people back. YES you can become a millionaire living with your parents, YES you can be the most hardworking guy in your city and the most personable and social person.

- but that's not how it is in most cases. In most cases it only sets you back. OP's situation is very common with people I know and have heard of and spoken to.

Just because your cousin is highly successful in such an environment doesn't mean it's a bad choice for the majority of people and sequentially a poor choice in general. Simply because a few successful people do something does not mean it is a positive choice nor that it has no effect at all. If you actually thought about it would be quite obvious to you.
>>
>>1088017
he pulls tail because he sleeps with ugly women
who cares
why do you people still care about this
>>
>>1087742
Maybe find other city to live in? I moved to the "poorest" city in my country because the housing is cheap.
>>
>>1088976

Nah, muh career is here

Anyhow everyone else, I do admit I am pretty inept! I was hoping moving out would be a step in the right direction to start living like an adult. I could go to bars, make friends and have them over, etc.... but according to the folks here, I might just be too retarded for that to even happen. I also get the "it's too late for you" vibe, so maybe I will live here forever any ways.

Yesterday I just shelled out another $2400 for more of my mom's medical expenses, so just fuck my shit up. I can't keep money at this rate.
>>
>>1090506
it's not a matter of it's "too late"

it was "too late" from the very start
from your childhood
Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.