[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Econ vs Accounting vs Finance
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 4
File: NBER_masterrace.jpg (59 KB, 353x960) Image search: [Google]
NBER_masterrace.jpg
59 KB, 353x960
Can we discuss the pros and cons of Finance, Accounting and Econ majors?

From my understanding it's very similar and you can apply to practically all the same jobs with either of the 3.
>>
Well?
>>
>>1079840
>>1079851
google it u doofus

they all have pros and cons and you shouldn't choose based on what 4chan thinks.
>>
>>1079853
I know but that's what I'm asking. The pros and cons because most people here majored/are majoring in one of them.

And I don't want some bullshit reddit answer like "just study what u love xd" which is why I asked here
>>
>>1079840
I'm in prebusiness at the moment, but need to decide my major. I have been debating ISM. Is that a shit major?
>>
File: 1418543168508.jpg (21 KB, 700x479) Image search: [Google]
1418543168508.jpg
21 KB, 700x479
>>1079840
>zerohedge in noble tier
>>
Do you want to be an accountant?

Then major in accounting.

Do you want to work in finance?

Then major in finance, or economics if your program is not shit.

Major in economics only if your program is not shit and provides many opportunities to take stats, econometrics, programming.
>>
>>1079879
>s that a shit major?
nope, stick to it
>>
>>1079987
I don't know the pros and cons of them senpai.

But more specifically how does Economics differ from Finance in terms of jobs? Seems like they'd be nearly identical.
>>
You pretty much can, pick what you like best and try to pick a program that your school excels in. Most accounting, finance and economics jobs just ask for experience
>>
>accounting
>finance
>engineering

perfect choice to end up a bored, life contemplating office drone who deludes themselves into thinking their work actually contributes anything to society for mediocre pay and a high stress lifestyle, kek
>>
>>1080016
So are you saying Econ is the savior?
>>
>>1079997
Econ will give you a larger range of positions you can take than Finance will.

Finance will give you an edge over econ majors in any finance field.

It really just depends on what you want, anon. I did econ and I have an unless I fuck up this interview Wednesday, I should have a job in financial advising.
>>
>>1080016
More like the only way to get a nice comfortable job that pays well and doesn't ruin your body and lets you sit in a nice comfortable environment all day.
>>
>>1080024
>It really just depends on what you want, anon

I don't know what is better senpai.

I wish there was some way to sample all 3 of them. I like learning about economics, the beginning stuff is really intuitive but later on it seems to get very complicated and confusing.

Finance also seems cool and seems very similar to Econ but just more applicable whereas Econ seems more theory-based and more abstracted. Is that a fair outlook on it?
>>
>>1080028
Any good business school will give you introductory classes in all 3 your first year. My first year I had classes that covered accounting, finance, statistics and economics and then I got to branch out from there.
>>
>>1080028
>better
That's the whole point. "Better" depends entirely on what you want to do AFTER college. One doesn't just give you a better job outlook for every field. They all give you good job outlooks for CERTAIN fields and while there may be overlap, at teh end of the day it depends on what you want to do with your CAREER.
>>
>>1080017
yes, or something that you're actually interested in and just not in for the money
>>
>>1080058
I hate everything.

>>1080030
>>1080031
But how the fuck do the jobs differ?

What would an Economist be doing different than a Finance major? Wouldn't they both be doing the exact same thing as portfolio managers or financial analysts or whatever?
>>
>>1080062
Nothing really, it's just what you learn, you can get a job doing finance work with an accounting or economics degree. It mostly comes down to experience and what field you decide to pursue as a career. Pick what you like to study the best and your work will be similar to it.
>>
>>1080066
Damn. It's going to be a toss up between Econ and Finance then. Accounting is too boring.

Could you break down the differences in simple terms? I enjoy Economics from what I've begun to learn so far.
>>
>>1080062
>>1080066
An economics degree (assuming you engage in statistics) would be far more suited for jobs like market research, economic advising, etc. A finance major would be more suited to portfolio management and the like. An accounting major is best suited for... accounting.

But all can get jobs in each others' general fields.
>>
>>1080073
Also, it's not like those are the only 3 business majors out there. Why are you limiting yourself to them?
>>
>>1080071
Still in school so I hardly know the difference, just going off knowledge of my co-op terms and friends who did other shit. Finance is more in demand in my country right now but you'll be mostly doing the same thing for both job wise, with economics probably a bit more of a research role though.
>>
>>1080076
What country are you in senpai?

>>1080074
>Also, it's not like those are the only 3 business majors out there. Why are you limiting yourself to them?

What else is there that's not a meme, or at least offered?

>Marketing
This seems too easy for peopel to do to be worthwhile, seems like a joke

>Human resources and management
Idiotic, suited maybe for women

>International Relations
What's the point?

let's be real senpai, econ/accounting/finance are the only options desu
>>
>>1080083
Canada, job market itself isn't that great but for the past 20 years everyone was told to not enter Business because it's dead and ironically enough that made it one of the best job sectors to actually get into now as everyone has had it drilled into them they need to work in Oil and Gas but we all know how well that worked out.
>>
>>1080089
i-i am also in Canada...

Since when is Finance less of a meme than Economics here?
>>
>>1080083
>International relations
It's international business, m8.

These are the specializations my school offers with its business degree:
Accounting
Business Management
Aviation Management
Economics
Finance
Human Resources
Information Systems
Logistics
Marketing
Operations
Real Estate
Insurance

Honestly anon, I hope to God you don't make life decisions off the advice of anons on /pol/ and /biz/. These people don't know any more about anything than you do. The people who are actually successful sure as fuck aren't interested in posting in college major threads.
>>
>>1080095
Half of those seem too specific and like memes though.

>Aviation management
The fuck?

>Honestly anon, I hope to God you don't make life decisions off the advice of anons on /pol/ and /biz/. These people don't know any more about anything than you do

They're stupid retards but they're all I have.

I'm a very lonely person and 4chan has been there when no one else has. In fact I've gotten some amazing life advice from /pol/ and other boards before(although this was a while ago before le ebin shitposting meme occurred).
>>
>>1080093
I'm in western canada, finance and accounting are a lot bigger here, pretty much every job posting i've seen has been in either finance or accounting, not a lot of economics jobs.
>>
>>1080099
o i'm /ontario/

I think I want to study economics. From watching meme videos on YouTube, economics seems really interesting to me.
>>
>>1080098
What the fuck does "memes" even mean to you?

Again. You should probably figure out a general area of career you want and then choose a major based off of that. Why don't you actually talk to people whose jobs are to advise you on this sort of stuff?
>>
>>1080111
>What the fuck does "memes" even mean to you?

That it's worthless.

Why would you major specifically in real estate? What kind of job would you get, fucking real estate agent? Those seem simply too specified.

>Why don't you actually talk to people whose jobs are to advise you on this sort of stuff?

I don't trust them because they're retards plus I'm a NEET so unless you mean asking student services of a University I don't even attend that won't work.
>>
>>1080113
>so unless you mean asking student services of a University I don't even attend that won't work.
Then why the hell are you asking? Just pick a major out of a hat and then consult your advisors. Most people switch majors in the first year anyway.

And I'm really not sure why a major being specific makes it worthless. If you want to go into that specific field, then you'll have an edge over comparable people whose majors were more general. My friend majored in business IT and got a job making 80k fresh out of college. He even works from home doing it. Sure, he could have applied if he just majored in econ, but he wouldn't have had any of the specialized knowledge that his employers were looking for.
>>
>>1080131
>And I'm really not sure why a major being specific makes it worthless. If you want to go into that specific field, then you'll have an edge over comparable people whose majors were more general

Because it's a meme man.

It's the same with "game development" specific degrees offered by shit-tier Universities and no one respects them because it's just neckbeard LoL players who don't want to learn computer science but "how 2 make games"

I mean I'm a worthless NEET but even I know it's a meme
>>
>>1080131
>>1080134
Like what kind of "specific skills" would you be learning from specializing in "real estate" or "aviation management" that you couldn't just do with a broader specialization and then just read up about real estate or whatever?
>>
Economics & History double major here, social science/govt stats as fuck

First of all, the FT belongs in Lord Mayor tier.

Finance and accounting involve more technical knowledge and demand a stronger capacity for discipline (as one has to remember and execute protocols with severe legal/pecuniary consequences in fairly rapid succession). Economics, in my experience, involves a great deal of mathematical routines, too. Economics is different from finance or accounting in that there are less right answers. You have to behave like a sort of doctor, looking at the health of markets. What indices you decide to analyze are somewhat protocol/best practices, but for the most part, you will have to hunt for and interpret obscure indices or model your own with econometrics. When evaluating development strategies, responsible economists warn of normative or axiomatic statements. They are basic assumptions to guide growth policies, such as "maximizing jobs is ideal," or "the private sector should always employ more than the public sector" which might not ring true for relatively successful economics abroad. In short, economics has a larger dose of subjectivity. It demands discipline as well, but perhaps a greater capacity for abstract thought. Then again, you could use economics as a ticket to a modest govt job in godknowswhat department.
>>
>>1080142
econ bump
>>
>>1080142
Makes sense. That's kind of what I figured. I guess both have upsides.

Economics with more abstract thinking and slightly broader versus Finance and Accounting which is obviously more concrete and "by the rules".

Idk senpai slightly leaning towards economics. Both are such good choices...
>>
>>1079840
>University meme
You do realize no matter how educated you get your information retention will remain relatively the same and you wont perform much better relative to getting out of HS?
Also finance, economics, law, social justice, and theoretical "sciences" is all pseudo-intellectual meme nonsense.
>>
>>1080151
>finance
>law
>memes

Wrong. They are codes you can exploit for gain. We have clear examples and strategies borrowed from thousands of years ago.
>>
>>1080151
>He thinks Finance and Economics is less applicable than pure math or physics or whatever this autist is studying

Oh man
>>
File: 1428624290699.jpg (21 KB, 429x410) Image search: [Google]
1428624290699.jpg
21 KB, 429x410
do i have to be good at math to go into finance?
>>
>>1080178
No.
>>
>>1079988
Can't tell if serious
>>
>>1079840
The Economist is just a bunch of bullshit opinion pieces.
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.