[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
If you were again going to take college (or a certification)
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 3
File: orientation.jpg (1 MB, 1280x780) Image search: [Google]
orientation.jpg
1 MB, 1280x780
If you were again going to take college (or a certification) RIGHT NOW what degree would you pick and why?
>>
>pick my degree

Fuck off
>>
dick sucking
>>
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Studies.
low supply of graduates and massive salary
>>
>>1073864
Drone Aromatherapy. First year is just basic fragrances and piloting but it gets intersting later on when you get taught about the various methods to not annoy people with your whirling noises.

10/10 would take again
>>
>>1073864

I'd skip orientation. Boring shit
>>
>>1073870
>>1073875
>>1073876
>>1073883
you don't have to be embarassed if you don't have a degree anons. tell us about your neet venture instead
>>
I wouldn't go to college if i could do it all over again. I'd just start working and save my money up, buy some rental property or small business.
>>
>>1073864
i would take bs computer science again
>>
>>1073901
>I'd skip orientation. Boring shit

>Skipping getting laid and meeting new friends and figuring out where everything is so you don't look Chinese first days of classes

Lmao @ u.

>>1073864
I would do the same thing i've done. No regrets
>>
Never went. But I'd go and get a B.S. in Computer and Network Security, my A+, CCNA, CCNP.
>>
>>1074189
>t. Chad
>>
>>1074198
>Not being a Chad
>Expecting to get anywhere in life

Smfh tbqh.

Maybe if you study engineering and become an autist neckbeard engineer for the rest of your life, but that's pretty cucky
>>
>>1074207
What do YOU do, smartass?
>>
>>1074212
CEO of a fortune500 company
>>
>>1074219
Prove it.
>>
>>1074220
whoa you responded within 15 seconds, you really like me huh?
>>
>>1074221
I'm quick. Prove it, big shot.
>>
>>1074221
Come on, Chad.
>>
File: laughing-emoji.jpg (107 KB, 800x770) Image search: [Google]
laughing-emoji.jpg
107 KB, 800x770
>>1074227
>>1074231
Just joking I'm a NEET
>>
File: 59 Eldorado rear.png (478 KB, 656x422) Image search: [Google]
59 Eldorado rear.png
478 KB, 656x422
>>1073864

I got a BS in psychology, which I don't regret. I just wish I had gotten my masters in counseling.

aside from that, the other path of would have taken was just going 2 year and getting a cert in car repair. I enjoy working on cars and think I would have been happy doing it.
>>
>>1074234
Lol me too for now. Going for my A+ certification soon. Then my CCNA and CCNP. And if needed, I'll get my computer and network security degree. I doubt I'll have to pay for any of it either since I'm disabled.
>>
>>1074236
Why do you wish you'd have gotten a masters in counseling?
>>
Double major in computational finance and computer science
>>
Mechanical Engineering
>>
Check this out!!!!
https://youtu.be/andy1OOwb2g
>>
Would it be a mistake to major in finance? I'm in my 2nd year of engineering and I fucking hate it. I don't really have any interest in engineering itself; I just want a stable job and good income. I've taken a genuine interest in finance lately and have been lurking the shit out of this board. Would it be reasonable to double major in finance/accounting? Or will that really kick my ass?
>>
>>1074461
>>1074461

If you want to break into the field of finance. Accounting is a good shot.

Majoring in finance alone may prove bit risky. The jobs may be lucrative, but you must put great effort into paving the path.(superb gpa, internship, networking etc).

While accounting may sound boring as fuck, but it is the backbone of every biz. All those lucrative finance position is available to you too at a later stage. And no, you wont be counting beans or doing data entry once you pass the initial stages.
>>
>>1074551
I'd rather eat my own vomit every single day than work as an accountant.
>>
>>1074551
Based on my Googling results, it looks like the average accountant salary near me is $47,000 (I live near St. Louis). That seems low to me. Do you think that's accurate?
>>
>>1074583
That probably takes into account starting ones and bookkeeper memes.

The big 4/5 firms starting salary for accountants is $50-55k/yr and once you get your CPA in a couple years $100k/yr is not a stretch.

I think the dealbreaker here is that you need to get a good internship or two(preferably at one of these firms) during school. Then you'll be a shoein for them.

And from my understanding once you actually work at a big 4 firm that's excellent experience for anything in the financial sector. Although I am just a NEET.
>>
>>1073864
that's a good question
>>
>>1074583
The real money is when they give you the opportunity to be a partner or a manager type guy.

My friends dad is some executive dude at a big 4 that's a partner and he gets a 500k salary. The point of accounting is that mid to later in your career you have an abundance of options as well as that. Investment banks, trading firms etc hire accountants
>>
>>1074593
No, you are right. If you work at a big 4, it's relatively easy to stretch out to other financial fields.

You go get your CPA at a smaller firm but the opportunities to branch out are limited and your salary is capped to that of the owner (assuming you ever get to that stage)
>>
>>1074583

You need to get the Chartered status. If not, you are competing with a huge supply of average accountants.
>>
I don't think any degree would help me to be honest. I'd probably quit my sport and just train on my own. Practice everyday for hours and weekends is a lot of free time wasted (but being active does make you prioritize your time better).

Maybe just management, or whatever the easiest degree in school was so I could spend more time developing projects/experience in my free time.

The degree doesn't get you anything anymore. You need extracurricular activities that provide value for companies and garner experience.

Your portfolio is the most important thing now.
>>
Yo

People actually go to orientation?
>>
>>1074647
Why wouldn't you? How else would you find where shit is and meet people?
>>
>>1073864
Anthropology probably, because it's just fascinating.
>>
>>1073864
I would shut my mouth about the stigma that environmentalists always got for being "college hicks" and go get a degree in Forestry because forestry sounds fun
>>
Knowing what I know now, I wouldn't go to college and just go straight to starting the business I own now
>>
>>1074189
Fuck off Chad
>>
>>1074657
Maps exist you know.
>>
EE probably would have done project management but doing alright either way. Getting rich off sales this year.
>>
>>1074717
you forgot
"meet people"
>>
Currently doing Physics/Econ double major. Only thing I'd change is going for an EE cert my first two years because my CC offered it.
>>
>>1073864
None. It was all time lost. I'd start my business earlier
>>
>>1074717
Maps are inconvenient when you could just have a general idea of which building your classes are in, etc.

Plus why wouldn't you want to meet people?

Most schools have big events where you do tons of fun shit with qt gurls and bros
>>
>>1074239

I actually cared about it.

And I think that makes all the difference when it comes to getting up every morning to do something.
>>
Either CS or gone with the same thing I did, MIS.
>>
>>1073864

if you only want a bachelors, actuary or mech engineering
>>
>>1073864
In this order:
1. CS
2. Mech Engineer
3. Finance/Accounting (at a Cal State school)
4. Nursing
>>
>>1073864

I'd prob stick with my current route of self employment instead. At least this piece of paper provides some hedge if shit doesn't work out for me. Plus college is a lot more fun if you have some disposable income. Big universities can provide some really good experiences and opportunities to meet great people and as long as you're not paying out the ass I'd say it's not at least a waste of money.
>>
>>1074583
starting out, but it goes up a bit, also depends on company personality and what they do.

Buddy graduated from ranken and makes more than that. Can't remember what he said because we were both drunk, but knowing a nigger loving faggot like you probably less.
>>
>>1075096
why not computer engineering as number 1

doesht CompE beat CS?
>>
>>1075287
Because most people I know in Computer Engineering said the workload for CS jobs are far less and pay is comparable.
>>
>>1073864
i went to college for music, now i'm poor as fuck working at a pizza place

if i had to go back i'd still pick music, i fucking love music
>>
>>1075320
sorry for my ignorance, I'm just starting uni

Wouldn't CompE count as a much more quantitative degree and open more doors for positions in management and in different industries due to the extra math and critical thinking necessary to complete the degree?
>>
CompSci or Accounting
Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.