[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Economics and Statistics degree, or just Statistics, or Economics
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 8
File: 1418279753001.jpg (66 KB, 650x366) Image search: [Google]
1418279753001.jpg
66 KB, 650x366
Economics and Statistics degree, or just Statistics, or Economics and Politics?
>>
Finance
>>
>>1072736
this op,

my university listed their highest paying graduates last year. Out of all of the majors, engineering, medicine, math, etc. The Finance major was the one straight out of undergrad with +$130,000 salary. [spoiler]it was probably his jewish uncle's investment firm, but still[/spoiler]
>>
>>1072741

Well ultimately going into Finance might be a nice little thing to do, might even be what I'm aiming for right now. So what's better to that end, Economics/Statistics, Statistics or Economics/Politics. These are the choices I have.
>>
>>1072747
Econ/Stat

politics is worthless, and I'm a political science major
>>
>>1072750

Why not pure stats doe?
>>
>>1072761
two degrees is usually better than one
>>
>>1072765

Okay, it's not two degrees though it's a joint degree.
>>
>>1072747
stat/econ if its mainly economics, econ/politics is social science tier, and statistics is genereally good, but bland as fuck, if economics interest you at all definetly grab that as well
>>
>>1072765
2 degrees is only worth pursuing if you are interested in both topics, are willing to put in a LOT of work (my econ degree was an extra 30 units even with all the math crossovers) and are willing to risk graduating at least a semester late.
>>
>>1072772

Okay, I'm inclined towards the Economics too because Stats does seem very boring. But i imagine Stats/Economics is a solid combination in terms of career prospects.
>>
>>1072719
...I think you may be naturally inclined towards stats. You certainly want repetative data.
>>
>>1074558

Tbh yeah
>>
>>1072719
Stats and Econ is a God tier combo
>>
Finance and stats
>>
>>1072719
You better be going to a top school for any of these majors, or at least a good regional school with connections to industries dealing with these degrees.

Out of all of them you listed, stats will always be considered useful to employers regardless of your school, but you can learn that shit by searching up excel tuts on Youtube and going into the interview saying that you're a master at Excel.
>>
My friend got a degree in stats and a masters degree in business analytic. His starting pay is 104k for Boeing
>>
>>1074923

Edinburgh or Glasgow university, I'm inclined to Edinburgh. And I'm inclined to Econ+Stats atm because at least with the Econ part I won't be bored shitless.
>>
File: [national debt intensifies].jpg (101 KB, 490x366) Image search: [Google]
[national debt intensifies].jpg
101 KB, 490x366
>>1072719
all shit. go full blown mathematics:

>phd in math
>300k starting
>any job i want
>mfw
>>
>>1074928
My friend did undergrad with cyber security and data analytics and he's making that now 1 year out of college working at first data.
>>
>>1072719
go for stats if you dont want to become a neet
>>
File: bort.jpg (39 KB, 450x448) Image search: [Google]
bort.jpg
39 KB, 450x448
>>1072719
Stats is great. It's so boring that only true believers do it. Also a lot of sweet tail. Anyway, we need stats for machine learning/artificial intelligence which is the future, also financial models, medicine and everything else.
>>
>>1077238
>>1077214

Why not with econ though, then I can get into that sweet Econometrics.
>>
File: catdog.jpg (68 KB, 600x300) Image search: [Google]
catdog.jpg
68 KB, 600x300
>>1077247
Once you learn the stats you can pretty much apply it to anything. Personally I think econometrics applied to macro econ is kinda lame. The assumptions are so narrow that the models are pretty useless except as an academic tool. The people who employ you would be deluded into thinking they're more powerful than they are, and are you going to tell them otherwise?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criticisms_of_econometrics

Applications to finance have similar criticisms, but the assumptions can be a bit broader making the models a bit stronger. Either way, stats is the door.

I've done a B.Math and I'm always finding I need more stats. If I could go back in time I'd be tempted to do stats if it wasn't so boring.
>>
>>1077288

Yeah, I understand. That's my problem, i'm not sure I can stomach 4 years of pure stats and not be incredibly bored, perhaps with the econ element it would be more interesting to me, so therefore I wonder if an Econ/Stats degree is really that much worse than pure Stats degree.
>>
File: cats are assholes.gif (2 MB, 400x225) Image search: [Google]
cats are assholes.gif
2 MB, 400x225
>>1077315
If you wanna spice up your degree I can't fault that. I combined B. Math with comp sci for some spice. I feel like finance would be better than econ, though. Quant up that finance degree, that makes you so much more useful than the usual dumb jocks being churns out of those programs.

Stats is really interesting though. Like I said, machine learning, finance, medicine, all that shit.
>>
>>1077343

Well thanks for the advice.
>>
File: richard jordan.gif (46 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
richard jordan.gif
46 KB, 320x240
>>1077357
I'm also assuming you're good at maths. You Australian?
>>
>>1077357

Yes and No. I'm bri'ish
>>
File: shaq and gates.jpg (43 KB, 650x462) Image search: [Google]
shaq and gates.jpg
43 KB, 650x462
>>1077511
Are you in aus? just curious what uni you were thinking.
>>
>>1077541

No, I've never been to Australia. And I said the unis are Glasgow and Edinburgh.
>>
File: there it is.jpg (16 KB, 264x192) Image search: [Google]
there it is.jpg
16 KB, 264x192
>>1077553
oh right, sorry im wasted
>>
>>1072768
>>1072761
you need to go to indeed and look at who is actually hiring for certain majors.

if you go stats or econ youre going to be a professor or work for the government.

go accounting/financing with a minor is stats and or econ that way you will have job prospects in just about any sector+ a little flair for added distinction (stats minor or econ minor)
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.