[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you take social functions into account when you make your
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1
Do you take social functions into account when you make your career choices? It seems certain career paths offer some God tier social events, e.g. politics, entertainment, journalism (?), academia, international business, etc. Does this matter to you? Do you have any goals like that?
>>
>>1068916
adam smith talked about this in wealth of nations so I mean its a pretty old concept, some careers pay in social capital and not just money

its why some jobs are popular despite depressed wages, they pay out in other ways
>>
My life's goal is for people to leave me alone, so I went into engineering
>>
>>1068925
Be honest, is it stupid to pick social funtions over salary?
>>
>>1069062
its another form of payment just like anything else, if you value social status more than money its a good choice for you

personally I want cash and nothing else so I would never make that decision but plenty of people do and theres nothing objectively stupid about it, its simply a different set of evaluation standards
>>
>>1069062
It depends. Two ways to make money I've noticed are through education and degrees or networking your ass off. I ran out of money for school and worked and went out to meet people on the weekends. Met a recruiter for a hospitality/manual labor job that started at 52k/yr and 3months vacation time spread out. Currently working my way up the ladder. Managers love me, corporate references, got my brother into the company at a different site and we exchange info on workers since one of my manager friends is getting his own site and we're handpicking people. Only downside in the company is stingy as Fuck with raises but I'm in an unofficial assistant manager position with these guys and do whatever I want whether it's working or sitting on my ass.
>>
>>1068916
Any example of non obvious careers which give you access to God tier social events?
>>
>>1068925
>he thinks the social events are a form of payment
>he doesnt know they are unpaid work

Do you really think all those scientists who have devoted their entire lives to research want to take a week out of their schedules to fly and eat dinner and watch some speeches?

They go because their boss said go network for grants and donations and prestige for our organization.

This depends on the field though.

Economists for example are know for their love of meeting up and arguing.

Less so with geologists.

Anecdote: My father was a bank executive. He was forced to go on business trips to conferences that served no purpose. Then he would get back and have a backlog of work. Atleast he was paid.

My mother worked for the FDIC and was forced to go to unpaid finance dinners in DC where she had to act nice with the very bank executives she was auditing for fraud. But if you don't get cuddly in those circles, no one will share information.
>>
bumpu
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.