[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm graduating with a computer science degree in 6 months.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (31 KB, 480x242) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
31 KB, 480x242
I'm graduating with a computer science degree in 6 months.

How can I get the most money in 5 years?
>>
Suck a gajillion dicks for however much $1 of ethereum exchanges for at the time of each suck
>>
>>1066625
>instant cryptocurrency shilling

So that's who nobody uses this board
>>
>>1066619
I'm assuming a bachelors. You'll most likely have to start out as a test or support engineer. Depending on the cost of living you'll make about 50k/yr. When you start out you don't know a lot of things like build systems, version control, test planning, and so on. As you become more skilled and knowledgeable you'll be able to negotiate higher salaries. Companies typically don't offer raises unless you ask, but you won't be in a position to ask until two or three years.
>>
>>1066636
I worked as a software dev in co-op so I should get a non support job
>>
>>1066655
A co-op. Ok. Can you be more specific in what you did at the co-op?
>>
>>1066619

>website + github w/ an array of personal projects. big bonus if they're actually useful for other people and not just shitty school assignments
>for general application developer jobs, you need to master at least one specific user facing platform: C#/WinForms/WPF, Java/Android, iOS/Swift/ObjC, JS/Web, some sort of web app tool like Rails, ASP.NET MVC, spring/j2ee, node.js
>for more respected generalist 'engineer' jobs, have a strong foothold in all of the above, along with a strong core knowledge of unmanaged code (C/C++). strong algorithm analysis and problem solving skills. you need to be doing interview problems EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. practice until your eyes bleed. you will get better
>>
>>1066667
A bunch of shit. App ux design, maintaining internal projects in Java & C

>>1066675
Source for interview questions to review?
>>
>>1066619
I'll see you a comp sci degree and raise you a b. math.

How much will I get?
>>
>>1066619
Hackathons are infested with SJWs nowadays but if you can cut through the bullshit there are some cool people and great experiences there. I got all of my internships and jobs through hackathons.
>>
>>1066636
Don't listen to this cuck.

>>1066701
Cracking the Coding Interview by Gayle McDowell

Interview with the big companies. Standard new grad offer in SV/Seattle is $100k salary. Get at least two offers and you can negotiate your salary way up. Stay at whatever company hires you for 3-5 years, then go work somewhere smaller (but established, not a startup) and get the "senior" engineer big bucks.
>>
>>1066675
This is also good advice, although he's overstating the requirements a bit. I generally advise one native language (C/C++), one static interpreted language (Java/C#), one dynamic interpreted language (Python/Ruby/JavaScript). Frameworks are unimportant unless you're going for a specific job type. As a new grad you should be looking for generalist positions, though.

Practicing interview problems daily for six months is great advice, and it's exactly what I did before graduating. If possible, practice them on a whiteboard because that's how you'll be doing them in the interview and it's important to get used to that. Also practice thinking out loud while you work through the problem. Vocalizing your thought process is super important in tech interviews so that they can see how you approach problems.

You'll make it, anon.
>>
Also read this stuff:

http://steve-yegge.blogspot.com/2008/03/get-that-job-at-google.html

http://steve-yegge.blogspot.com/2007/09/ten-tips-for-slightly-less-awful-resume.html
>>
software dev in the bay area. write some interesting stuff and post the source on github, then use that as your resume to get into a job you like.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.