[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Investments
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 7
File: Investment.png (271 KB, 660x406) Image search: [Google]
Investment.png
271 KB, 660x406
Can anyone tell me the difference between a short term investment and a long term investment?
> How do they work?
> How do I buy them?
> How do they benefit companies?
> which one benefits the company more and which one benefits the investor more?
> Can I sell both? If yes the who buys them or who can I sell them to? If not then what happens when I want to get rid of them or consider canceling my investment if it doesn't work out well?

Explain these to a guy who knows jack shit about economy (I mean use simple words and not academic economical terms please).
>>
I dont think you should invest in anything mate.
>>
>>1061788
I second that. Best advice you'll get here too.
>>
>>1061788
No I just want to understand this subject very clearly because I have some questions about it too.
>>
>>1061779
listen to what this anon >>1061788 said. there is nothing you can learn here
>>
>>1061792
Kek come on man, help a brother out, I really need help here
>>
>>1061779
If you have no motivation to self teach yourself the basics of economics and finance then you will fail. Simple as that. Try Lego that might be more your speed.
>>
>>1061801
Ouch, /biz/ acting brutal as always
>>
>>1061813
I was going to help but I don't want to ruin the asshole aesthetic we've got going on here.
>>
The best way to learn to invest is to buy ether. It comes in the post with a cute little pamphlet for beginners
>>
I really want to know which one is really better for the company and which one is better for the economy as a whole because some people say that the short term investments are not benefiting the economy or something like that.
>>
File: 1434530104948.jpg (64 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1434530104948.jpg
64 KB, 500x500
>>1061779
A short term investment is a security you hold on to for less than a year

A long term "..." more than a year

If you hold on to a security for more than a year, then you don't have to pay taxes on the gain whereas if you don't you have to pay a capital gains tax rate
>>
Pay taxes on the gain at your capital gains tax rate (short term)
>>
>>1061933
I already know that, but my point is, that can you sell both? And to whom do you sell them? What happens if no one wants to buy them?
>>
File: giphy (2).gif (1 MB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
giphy (2).gif
1 MB, 320x240
>>1062017
>What happens if no one wants to buy them?

If noone wants to buy them, the demand decreases, when the demand decreases, the price of the particular commodity in this case your shares gets cheaper and cheaper.

if everyone wants to buy it however, the demand rises, as the demand rises the price gets higher.

Now go back to /v/
>>
>>1062017
They are both essentially the same thing, the stock exchange itself doesn't care how long you hang on to a stock, only the taxman does.

If the price plummets far enough then the company will be delisted from the exchange. Congrats you now own penny stocks. These can go up or down but mostly go down. Eventually a stock will be worth less than brokerage fees. At that point you may as well hang onto it - you'll be paying money to get rid of it.

Your best bet is to sell before a company is delisted. The specific requirements change from exchange to exchange.

I should probably note that stocks with higher prices are worth more - in theory they fluctuate in price less
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>1061779
Small caps are more volatile and large caps are a bit more stable but still volatile. Bonds are more secure long term but offer less return
So with a diversified portfolio entirely in small cap stocks (Nasdaq) you could see anywhere from negative to 17% return next year, large cap (djia) negative to 15% and bonds are lowers
>>
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>1062117
>>
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>1062126
>>
>>1062095
Okay why does the government want to encourages long term investments rather than short term investments by adding extra tax on the short term? I mean what's the point? Why not make it the same tax on both?
>>
>>1062137
Increases stability. Reduces speculation (bubbles, etc, which cause social strife).

In their best interest to encourage sustainable, long-term growth over short-term.
>>
>>1062129
Nice unreadable images
>>
>>1062142
Okay correct me if I'm wrong, but don't stocks mean a share of the profit?
If I buy 10% of the company's stocks then I own 10% of said company right?
And if so then what happens when I buy stocks from a company? Am I supporting the company?
Let's assume I paid $10 for a stock in EA then am I going to pay EAA $10 for the stock? Or am I paying someone else? And what happens when the price goes up and I eventually sell it to someone else for $10.5? How is this transaction going to benefit the company?
>>
>>1062143
My phone flipped them but you can clearly see the vital information
>>
>>1062242
It's just speculation on the outlook on the company. Outside the IPO, you buy from other people who own the company
>>
>>1062374
>Outside the IPO

secondary offerings also exist -- but in general yes you are buying from other people who own the stock
>>
and to answer the original question about long vs. short term

>>1062095 did a good job of explaining holding periods, short term gains are taxed as income and long term is taxed capital gains

I don't really care too much about holding periods for me it depends on what my goal is, but i like to break it into 3 categories:

if i'm looking at a "short term" investment it means that i'm happy with the amount of cash i have and am saving up for something in the next 6-9 months (car, house, wedding, education, etc.). if this is the case i'll be looking to just make sure it doesn't go down the shitter so it will be a combo of savings account, government securities, etc.

a "long term" investment would be something like the property itself i bought or my stocks for retirement (obviously as you reach retirement age start moving some of it to short term so you aren't impacted by huge swings and have a set amount for the next X months). the key here is to keep contributing but not to watch it all the time, check in every few months to see how the performance. you're in this one for the long haul so even down years aren't a huge issue

finally speculation -- i take a few grand i can afford each year and bet on long shots the holding period here can be long or short. this is just to have fun and hope that i can be the next /biz/ millionaire
>>
>>1062242
>How is this transaction going to benefit the company?
If there were no market, stocks would not be liquid and companies would be able to raise less capital.
>>
>>1062242
The company cares about the stocks because the stocks are the companies ownership. Grotesques incompetence by management is a sue-able offence. There are a few minor benefits as well like being able to sell more directly but mainly they care about the owners opinion because shareholders can and do have annual meetings which may make changes to the structure of management.

Some stocks pay dividends (as in when they make a profit they pay stockholders) whereas others are aimed at capital growth (The profits go to the exchange who move the price of the stocks higher)
>>
>>1062560
profits will go to the investor/speculator in capital growth, the exchange will only get transaction fees
>>
>>1062566
I was trying to simplify the explanation away from profits go to investor in dividends and in capital growth.

It was just a really awkward way to explain what I was saying.
>>
File: 1376454379570.jpg (32 KB, 278x323) Image search: [Google]
1376454379570.jpg
32 KB, 278x323
>>1062143
Control+Alt+Down to flip your screen

Control+Alt+Up to put it back to normal
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.