[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So I am about to inherit $200,000 and I'm getting a bit
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: 1452126649655.jpg (29 KB, 744x727) Image search: [Google]
1452126649655.jpg
29 KB, 744x727
So I am about to inherit $200,000 and I'm getting a bit tired of college. I want to join the military as enlisted and maybe go to Officer Candidate School.

Is this a smart idea? I mean, I pretty much get all of my college loans paid for, can probably get the education that I desire (computer science) done in the military, and if anything ever fucks up I can just fall back on my military career.

What does /biz/ think about the military? Yes, I am a fuck up. And yes, I am not certain about my job outlook.
>>
SOMEONE GIVE ME SOMETHING. FUCK!!!
>>
>>1056172
Get a bachelors first. That guarantees you arent a grunt in most (all?) Services. Also think abput the cost / benefit.

While your deployed you get compensated peanuts for essentially being on call 24/7.

So , you wont have a stable relaionship the whole time or weekends / nights to yourself. Assuming you have some semblance of self control (because the military is good at instilling that kind of shit) youre better off in the private sector from the getgo even including the GI benefits and even if you plan on saving all your money.
>>
>>1056223
aight, so anyone else?
>>
>>1056172
What you planned sounds like a good idea. You'd be saving all your money and living for free.

50% truth, 50%just telling you what you want to hear because you're going to filter all the other shit out anyway, you fucking one-dimensional fuck.
>>
>>1056172
aight anyone else?
>>
Don't go enlisted. It will set you back your whole life. Go Officer, or don't go at all.
>>
>>1056172
I've been in the Army for 12 years and the military is kinda retarded. It's only gotten worse since the wars are over. It's 12 hour+ days frantically trying to accomplish what amounts to busywork, managing retards with shitty work ethics. Creating mountains of paperwork that is irrelevant and nobody in the organization cares but a supervisor several levels up. This is as a middle-ranking enlisted NCO, it's pretty much the same for commissioned officers, only worse as well. More senior officers in my unit work on average 18 hours a day to accomplish everything demanded of them.

The compensation isn't bad, I saved up a lot of money, but I'm only still here because of job security.

It's just kinda shitty, unless you luck out and find a nice position. Warrant officers don't really do much work, have tremendous autonomy, little in the way of responsibility and they get paid a lot. Not a lot of them though.
>>
>>1058132
Yeah, my best friend just completed warrant officer candidate school in the Army and he seems to have it made at the moment.

But he's fucking brilliant. So I don't think I could cut it even as a warrant officer candidate. Does anything else offer the same benefits but is less shitty?

I heard the Peace Corps has some nice benefits, but I have to live in shit conditions in a piss poor country for a couple of years. What about the coast guard?
>>
>>1058182
My wife was Americorps, which is like Peacecorps for the US. The pay is like the peacecorps in that you get whatever the median poverty-line income is for wherever they stick you. She paid equivalent of 4$/hr but got a big education stipend after her contract was finished. None of these Americorps people worked very hard and now they changed the policy so you can pick up a second job on top of doing Americorps.

It's not too hard to go Warrant, I'd go do that, but I'm DQ'd for having got into trouble as a private years ago. You might consider researching specific MOSs and jobs on the enlisted side. Real Officers are much less flexible, they get locked into rigid job assignments in a sort of professional development path they cannot escape.

Warrants have it great, a few Enlisted people on certain special assignments can get it good. When looking at jobs, consider if they have a peacetime purpose or they're absolutely useless outside of WWIII. The former will be busy doing something productive, the latter will be manically doing pointless training and busywork forever. It can be shitty either way, but whatever you're inclinations are it's important to know what the job description (awesome missile-launcher guy) is and what you'll actually do (paint rocks) on a day-to-day basis are not ever the same.
>>
>>1058182
Coast Guard is hard to get into. You probably don't live 200 miles near the closest Coast Guard recruiting station. That said It's apparently a really good gig, but advancement is difficult. I can't really speak much on this because I've never actually met anybody from the Coast Guard.
>>
>>1058228
Nah, a coast guard recruiting station is in the next town over from me. Still, you might be right about the whole hard to get into thing.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.