[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/pol/ here
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2
File: Selection_008.png (111 KB, 400x530) Image search: [Google]
Selection_008.png
111 KB, 400x530
Hey /biz/, do any of you guys do political betting?

Isn't it possible to get a guaranteed return right now on the Democratic nomination?

Hillary has 5/6 odds, put £100 on her
Bernie has 7/1 odds, put £20 on him
O'Malley has 200/1 odds, put £5 on him

>Multiply all amounts above by whatever X number
>Guaranteed to win money unless they all die of heart attacks

Am I right or am I right?
>>
>>1053669
Forgot link to betting site

http://www.oddschecker.com/politics/us-politics/us-presidential-election-2016/winner
>>
The house always wins.
>>
>>1053669
>5/6 odds
So wouldn't you lose money if she wins? Sorry, I don't gamble.
>>
>>1053673
I think the numbers are going to adjust really quick, but you might be able to take advantage of it right now because separate candidates are undervalued at separate sites

Note how the percentages add to less than 100% in my OP pic, which leads me to believe there is undervaluing

>>1053678
I think you get your original bet back plus five sixths of your original bet
Or maybe I'm retarded, that's why I'm seeing if anyone thinks it could work
>>
>>1053678
he must mean 6/5

get a payout of 20%
>>
>>1053682
That would make sense.
>>1053684
The website says 5/6.
>>
>>1053686
If it is 5/6 odds you will always lose money even if you win
>>
>>1053693
Hmm, alright then, thanks
>>
>>1053669
Bet all of your money that Sanders will become the next U.S. President.
>>
>>1053693

So you think they are offering a bet where the best case scenario is that you lose money?

6 euro bet at 5/6 means you get profit of 5.

all investing is gambling, bookies set the odds so they win no matter what in the long term, but any individual can win. some people are pros, and they spend most of their time creating new accounts online with different names/addresses etc because bookies keep banning them
>>
>>1053693

Lol you scrub you get your original bet back if you win, even 1/100000 you'd profit
>>
File: 0000000.png (96 KB, 241x228) Image search: [Google]
0000000.png
96 KB, 241x228
>tfw by the time Hillary gets decent odds to make a profit, I will be too terrified of her losing to Bernie to actually bet

I'm already nervous desu
>>
>>1053669
When betting odds are 5/6, you win $5 for every $6 you bet. This is the most likely result in the eyes of whomever set that line, because your return is less than 1:1. In OP's hypothetical, it would work like this:
$100 on Hillary to win at 5/6 means you win $83.33, total of $183.33, minus the $25 you laid on the other 2. Net gain = $158.33

$20 on Bernie pays you $140 if he wins at 7/1, $160 minus $105 = $55 net gain.

$5 on O'Malley at 200/1 pays $1,000, minus $120 = $885 net gain.

>>tl;dr odds are set to influence behavior and minimize risk to the house
>>
>>1053669
>everyone's odds went down last week

???
>>
isn't it ilegal to bet on elections in the US? sad face. I would have bet long ago if I thought I could get away with it.
Have you guys done this before?
>>
>>1053933
The odds are determined by the market. The probabilities given in the OP pictures are determined by aggregate of the odds on the ~2 dozen gambling sites.

So basically it's a decentralized system where a lot of different factors lead into the probabilities which occasionally allows for opportunities to capitalize
>>
>>1053678
here's an easy way to remember it: you bet the amount on the RIGHT to win the amount on the LEFT.

in this case, if you bet 6 dollars and the evil ghoul gets the nomination, you will get your bet back PLUS an addition 5 dollars.

>>1053722
do this if you are a moron who wants to go broke. ironically enough, if mr. FREE SHIT DUDE becomes president, that'll end up happening anyway.

if you like money, take out a nice fat bet on donald trump becoming the next POTUS. the writing is on the wall and the only place you'll hear otherwise is on the internet where the online heroes like to be contrarian so much that they won't even go out to vote when the corporate shill clinton gets the demo nod.
>>
>>1054087
Exactly the website is all done in euros. Us citizens are not suppose to.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.