[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>READ EVERY INVESTMENT BOOK AND STRATEGY I COULD FIND >DEDICATE
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 11
File: 1450729944693.jpg (18 KB, 320x320) Image search: [Google]
1450729944693.jpg
18 KB, 320x320
>READ EVERY INVESTMENT BOOK AND STRATEGY I COULD FIND
>DEDICATE MY TIME AND MONEY TO LEARN FROM THE MASTERS: WARREN BUFFET, FISHER, SETH KLARMAN, GRAHAM, GREENBLATT...
>BUY A COUPLE OF STOCKS LAST MONTH
>GOOD FUNDAMENTALS - CHECK
>NOT OVERHYPED BY THE MEDIA - CHECK
>LOG IN AND OPEN PORTFOLIO TODAY
>-$2283.24 LOSS

FUCKING FUCK THIS FUCKING FUCK SHIT STOCK MARKET

THEY FUCKING LIED.

THE BOOKS FUCKING LIED

WARREN BUFFET FUCKING LIED

EVERYONE FUCKING LIED

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCK
>>
File: eth.png (185 KB, 1379x876) Image search: [Google]
eth.png
185 KB, 1379x876
phat green barz
>>
>>1051733
Next time dont forget about the macro side of things.
>>
File: hiihoo.gif (962 KB, 245x300) Image search: [Google]
hiihoo.gif
962 KB, 245x300
>>
>>1051733

I wish I'd have the knowledge you've gained by reading those books.

But I'm up about 20% and hope to jump back in tomorrow.

> tvix
>>
>>1051733

If you stick with it (and I hope you do), this will happen to you from time to time.

Every now and then, good companies drop, and sometimes it takes years to recover.

The big question is this... are you going to let it stop you or not?

Most people who hit your situation say.... fuck it, the market is rigged, and then they never invest again for years.

But here's the thing... if you keep at it and keep investing, the recoveries make up for all of the short term drops.

This is the philosophy behind dollar cost averaging. Some months your money buys you more, sometimes less.

But.... if you stay in, you get both the ups and the downs, and you wind up ahead in the end.

And fyi... my first stock trade was a massive loss too. It's a bitch, but you have to get over it.
>>
>>1051734
>$1k

wow m8 u headed to the moon
>>
>>1051733
thats why i dont do stocks. its like gambling, with a 51% chance. yeah you have more chance to win than lose, but theres still a fucking good chance of losing.

why havent you thought of starting some business with low investment?
>>
>>1051747
>thats why i dont do stocks. its like gambling, with a 51% chance

things poor people say
>>
>What is longterm value investing

>>1051747
Your entire post belongs in my regular "Things poorfags say/do" threads.
>>
>>1051733
Regardless of how solid the company is, it will go down with the rest of the ship.

The books may have taught you the best stock picks, but, they clearly didn't tel you to look in to macro economics
>>
>>1051733

How can you read all that shit, and yet be so blindly unaware of market trends? You bought into stocks at a time when the market was headed South, what on earth did you expect to happen? If you're buy and hold then it's not the end of the world as if they were a good buy then they'll recover eventually. Still, you've lost out on the opportunity to get a lot more for your money, and the only person to blame is yourself.
>>
>>1051733
Go back and the read chapter 'Market Fluctuations" in the intelligent investor
>>
>>1051769
>my regular "Things poorfags say/do" threads
What a faggot. you're probably an MLMfag
>>
>READ EVERY TRADING BOOK AND STRATEGY I COULD FIND
>DEDICATE MY TIME AND MONEY TO LEARN FROM THE MASTERS: ALEXANDER ELDER, MARK DOUGLAS, AL BROOKS, LARRY WILLIAMS...
>OPEN A TRADING ACCOUNT LAST MONTH
>BEARISH TECHNICAL ANALYSIS PATTERNS - CHECK
>"THE TREND IS YOUR FRIEND" - CHECK
>LOG IN AND OPEN ACCOUNT STATEMENT TODAY
>-$2000 GAIN

I love this game.
>>
File: 1211195203_drugi_plan_14.jpg (84 KB, 780x533) Image search: [Google]
1211195203_drugi_plan_14.jpg
84 KB, 780x533
>>1051733

>tfw you realize you're competing against teams of MIT math majors who work for brokerage houses who get financial news long before you do.

you are playing a fool's game, OP.
>>
File: shemitah-real.png (1 MB, 1366x2653) Image search: [Google]
shemitah-real.png
1 MB, 1366x2653
>WARREN BUFFET LIED
>TRUMP LIED
I TOLD YOU SO
POL IS ALWAYS RIGHT
>>
>>1051733
buy and hold index funds, forget stock picking
>>
>>1052473

index funds are sucker bets. big finance already has them gamed. only semi-safe places today are in real estate and dividends (think MO)
>>
>>1052473
Why follow the index down further?
>>
>>1051733
>>-$2283.24 LOSS

negative loss = positive gain

Seriously but, sell everything at a loss, that's what Buffett would do

(or was it harden the fuck up and think long term?)
>>
File: S&P500_(1950-12).jpg (129 KB, 898x554) Image search: [Google]
S&P500_(1950-12).jpg
129 KB, 898x554
>>1052480
>index funds are sucker bets.
How is it a sucker to buy and hold? The stock market as a whole rises over time.
>>1052480
Because despite all the crashes, the indices go back up. The same can't be said for random stocks.
>>
>>1052499
Have you seen how much a bubble all the major indices look in 2015/16? Go on any up to date chart and click "max". glhf.
>>
>>1052508
So the solution is market timing? Or stock picking? You realise those truly are the sucker bets?
>>
>>1052499
It's not reasonable to suggest anyone here invested pre-2000, so what applied to our fathers and grandfathers doesn't apply to us anymore and you basically end up with a 50/50 chance to enter during a bull or bear market.
>>
>>1052518
Nope. Over the last twelve months I've been leaning more and more towards multi-manager funds that actively manage their asset allocation.

I particularly like those that focus on managing down side risk and deal with probabality weighted scenarios from dozens of fund manager over the long term.

Rather than trying to time the market they focus on macreconomic trends and down side risks.

An example would be how Australian stocks particularly mining have had every indicator of a bear market due to quite a few factors that should be obvious to many.

So their response was to do things like shift asset allocation towards the US/Asian markete, USD holdings, Australian Fixed interest among other things. This paid off. Now with the new risks happening there's so much volatility that they're able to go into capital protection with defensive equities, low correlation strategies and heavier allocation to cash.

It's all done through; daily, weekly, monthly, quarterly, 6monthly and annual reviews with 30+ fund managers. Nothing about trying to time the market like hedge funds (?) & get massive capital gains, just a consistent long term performance goal regardless of market conditions. Very safe imo.
>>
Who do people invest in stocks when they so obviously cant deal with it?
Did you honestly think the market will only go up forever the second you invest?
>>
>>1052518

>You realise those truly are the sucker bets?

And buying into the middle of a bear market isn't?
>>
>>1052588
L O N G
T
E
R
M
INVESTING
>>
>>1052448
you cant gain -2000, all those books lied to you
>>
>>1051733
Nobody lied, pic related. See the uptrend? Relax, if you aren't investing for 30 year gain, you are doing it wrong stupid.
>>
>>1052540
Despite all your abstraction all you've done is a describe tactical asset allocation which is nothing more than market timing on a macro level. This too performs worse than investing in a stock index fund.

>>1052588
A bear market means you can acquire more shares for a given amount of money invested. It's a great time to invest.
>>
>>1052480
>index funds are sucker bets.

Even WB recommends index funds.

I think he is smarter than some random /biz/fag
>>
>>1052609
>Even WB recommends index funds.
To people who don't have all day to watch the markets.
>>
>>1052609
Index Funds are only good if you have no stock picking skill AND!! if general asset prices inflation continues. If it doesn't one will have no luck with index funds.
>>
>>1052643
>cherry picking stocks

Fools game. How is that better than gambling. The market is efficient already, stupid fucker. Or do you think you can compete with billions from top tier firms and Ivy League graduates working 80hrs a week? naive cuck

Enjoy pissing your money away
>>
>>1052609
jew shill detected
>>
>>1052607
>>1052604
Well lads enjoy following the index down and enjoy reassuring yourself that in 10 years you'll be okay. Must be pretty stressfull when it happens to people no matter what they tell themselves before.
>>
>>1051733
Relax, I am down around 10k, such is life, 2k is nothing, give it time it will go up (unless its real shit company(s) that youve bought) then sell cut your loss dont buy shit next time
>>
>>1052656
>stressful

How can maths be stressful? If you are investing more than you are willing to lose you are doing it wrong in the first place.

When people like you start panicking, it is best indicator that it is time to buy more.
>>
>>1052647
Kek, i pick my stocks at random, simply choose a number then find it in the list of stocks, last time I done this I bought EGP it went up couple of $ and I made 1.5k
>>
>>1052643
>stock picking
Enjoy enriching your broker at your own expense, gullible fool.
>>
>>1052691
..That's about managed funds, not stock picking..
>>
>>1052607

>A bear market means you can acquire more shares for a given amount of money invested. It's a great time to invest.

Oh I agree.

>>1052591

When OP invested, though, stocks had been on a consistent downward trend, it was pretty clear that the market had peaked, looking at the bigger picture might have told him that the lower risk approach was to sit it out for a bit. In buying in when he did he gambled on the markets rebounding and continuing into the stratosphere, despite all of the indications to the contrary. Now that stocks are plummeting I see no point in trying to catch a falling knife, I'll invest in some tracker funds when it looks like it's levelling out or I feel that they've come down enough from their previous highs. I know that advocates of buy and hold see this as heresy, but if you bought in late 2000 you'd be worse off today than you were then. There might be an overall upward trend, but just how upward is very dependent on when you bought in.
>>
who looked at the market in the last year and said
>fundamentals: check
? The fuck fundamentals were you looking at?
>jobless claims unexpectedly bad
>commodity deflation
>rail traffic bad
>debt ratios off the charts because muh low rates
seriously what kind of longterm investor looks at the most leveraged world econony in history and says "gee i want to be on the bottom of THAT capital structure"

oh and buffet hedges, if you actually paid attention to him you would know what he does when the market tanks
>>
>>1052708
>What do managed funds do....
>>
>>1052708
Stock picking is what managed funds do.
>>
>>1052777
They don't necessarily invest in stocks ;)
>>
>>1051733

In a month? Are you a fucking idiot? Most good investors hold onto their money for decades. What were you thinking? Did you withdraw the money? Jesus christ you're a fucking idiot.

If you're not riding the DJIA you're either extremely unlucky or legitimately fucking retarded. My god I've never lost money on a stock and I don't even know what half the book terms mean. Jesus christ you suck.
>>
This is sort of related since the economy is in the shitter but doesn't deserve its own thread.

I'm looking at my 401(k) and it lost something like ~7% and I don't feel like the markets are going to be getting better anytime soon.

I'm feeling like I should start focusing on paying off my student loans. Just fucking wipe out the rest of that debt and then put something like 12-15% of my income back in long term savings once the market bottoms out.

Good idea?
>>
>>1051733
>NOT OVERHYPED BY THE MEDIA - CHECK

are we living in the same universe or what?
Plus, did it ever cross your mind to consider the macroeconomic situation of the global economy?
>>
>>1052956
The non-retarded way to play it is to stop letting your emotions deviate you from your investment strategy. This is doubly true since you're not retiring tomorrow. Or next year. Or in the next 20 years. Regularly contribute to your 401k even in down markets, continue to pay off debts, and when you catch yourself using the words "i feel" with regard to complex financial markets, just stop right there.

But sure; realize your losses, tie up capital by paying off debts early, sit on your hands, and then wait for the actual true bottom to hit based on your clairvoyant market timer skillz. Nevermind that you can only change your 401k contributions quarterly so it could be 4 months from your bottom call before you can start contributing again.

sage because I don't even know why I bother
>>
>>1051747
Gtfo of /biz
>>
>reading meme books
>not knowing about china and the middle east in current markets
>not learning finance and passing the cfa
Sibbity pop
>>
>>1052691
is there such a thing as an index fund that tracks the s&p 500 down and pays as it falls?
>>
>>1053766
yes, there are even inverse leveraged funds such as SPXU. google "ETF's that track s&p 500" to find one that is appropriate for your investment strategy.
>>
>OP learns that investing does not give short term returns
>/biz/ confuses investing with tradings
This board is filled with uneducated retards. Investing in index funds is okay and you earn your money back in the future. Trading is okay but you run the risk of losing it all in the future. This is why most traders pull their money from their fund and move into index funds and keep a small fund in trading. Every pro does this with trading and stock picking. They use index fund to put in a safe nest. Markets take a shit but the money comes back with interest. This is why every investors love index funds and ETFs. They track everything not just one company. Look at inverse ETFs or volatility ETFs. This is where you should put your money for the short term. When you see the indicators that exporting raw material is going up, you invest in raw material, energy, and construction ETFs. This is why institutional traders do with tens of millions of dollars.
>>
>>1051733
consider what >>1051747 said, >>1051747 is wrong, but think about it

If there was a game with a 51% chance of gaining $10 and a 49% chance of losing $10, in theory you ought to play it as much as possible. You earn $10 every 50 pulls of the lever, if you average 20 pulls a minute you are earning $240 an hour.

Of course if instead of $10 it was $100000 it is different, the risk of losing everything is not worth the chance of doubling your money, however most investments can be as low as $1000 before fees become a serious issue and if you are sensible you won't lose everything, you just won't beat the market average.

>DEDICATE MY TIME AND MONEY TO LEARN FROM THE MASTERS: WARREN BUFFET, FISHER, SETH KLARMAN, GRAHAM, GREENBLATT...
I suggest this next

http://www.r-5.org/files/books/trading/speculation/Jesse_Livermore-How_To_Trade_In_Stocks_(1940_original)-EN.pdf

he wrote it before committing suicide so it must have been his legacy and you can be sure of his honesty, he wasn't simply pushing the "buy and hold" meme

>GOOD FUNDAMENTALS
At the end of a long bull market? What did you put your money into?
>>
>>1052741
take his 14% loss like a man..?
>>
>>1054312
forgot to add, BRK.A has dropped ~50% after every market crash, just to come out of it stronger than ever. OP, consider this your trial by fire, stick through it and reap the rewards on the other side. unless the world is ending, this is nothing new. and if it is ending, you have bigger shit to worry about
>>
>>1053766
mutual fund won't but there are plenty of inverse ETFs

SDS is the first inverse S&P that comes to mind
>>
>>1051733

so explain to me why you dont just put your money in some sort of index fund that tracks high dividend yeild stocks?

You make money in the long term as the value of the stock rises, as well as somewhere between 3-5% per year through the quarterly dividend payouts that can be directly reinvested in buying more shares thereby increasing your money even more?

I mean, am I retarded? Dividend stocks seem like the only thing that makes sense because even if the value of the stock goes down, you are still getting paid per share quarterly to at least give you some concrete returns while you "wait" for the price of the stock to become higher than you bought..

am I just retarded? dividend mutuals/ETF + some Shorting ETF/ETNs + Long on Crude seems like the only options at this time to really get yourself in a comfy position to rid out the bear market without freaking out and locking in your losses..

please I only browse stock market casually and lurk here a bit but would that be a bad strategy in the current market conditions?
>>
>Buy a couple of stocks last month
>Last month
>Month

Just fucking forget about this investing thing, You fucking suck at it. You bought stocks last month not realising over-priced markets have been capitulating since the year started.

Last month, kill yourself bruh.
>>
>>1051733
>op says he did his research on the market
>has no concept of buying high performance stocks and chilling for a few years
>>
>>1051747

Buying stakes in productive enterprises is gambling?
>>
Get a real job, save money, then buy and hold.

Wait a long time, retire when you're 40.
>>
>>1051733
www.howtradingworks.com

l2p
>>
File: GetALoadOfThisGoy.jpg (231 KB, 1280x693) Image search: [Google]
GetALoadOfThisGoy.jpg
231 KB, 1280x693
>5776
>HFT, institutional advantages exist
>high fees, huge risk, fund managers tell retail chump investors to buy into a dip while secretly moving all their big money out
>still trying to pick stocks

moron frogposter,
the central goals of investing for a middle class individual should be to beat inflation, avoid taxes, and avoid paying money to middlemen
it was not, and never will be, a way to get rich fast
>>
>>1051733
You're an idiot. invest with a horizon of 10 years, spread your risk and let time do the rest. Markets will go up and down, you'll lose some but you propably gain more, based on historical data. That is if you spread your risk well.
>>
So, what books would you recommend? Look on the upside you now know enough about investing books to start a website reviewing them and making affiliate amazon money.
>>
>>1052864
>never lost money on a stock.

Kek
>>
>>1051733
Dollar cost averaging and index funds are the only things you should ever involve in with stockmarkets.
>>
>>1052540
>s I've been leaning more and more towards multi-manager funds that actively manage their asset allocation.
>I particularly like those that focus on managing down side risk and deal with probabality weighted scenarios from dozens of fund manager over the long term.
>Rather than trying to time the market they focus on macreconomic trends and down side risks.

underraded boast
>>
I've lost 7k (unrealized) on my recent trade, if you freak out over a 2k loss, then maybe you should look elsewhere for money.
>>
>>1053766
Sqqq
>>1051733
TECHNICALS you fool, I guarantee your stock picks technicals show sell signals. What did you invest in
>>
>>1052449
I wonder about this
>>
File: image.jpg (112 KB, 750x1334) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
112 KB, 750x1334
>waiting on robinhood account to be verified
> tab a couple stocks i like
> the last 3 days have all had this gain
Fuck me
>>
>>1052449

Yeah came here to post this

Why bother when there are people fucking with the game because they know shit way before anyone?
>>
>>1052449
For trading, sure. Beating the market is very much possible for a long term value investor
>>
>>1051733
Bear ETFs, bitch.
Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.