[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do I get into web development? Right now I'm a freshman
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1
File: 2sOw7GL.jpg (105 KB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
2sOw7GL.jpg
105 KB, 480x270
How do I get into web development? Right now I'm a freshman in college studying computer science and I really am not enjoying all the shit I have to do to get a degree. I've got a decent amount of experience in JavaScript, Nodejs, and very basic HTML/CSS. How do I advance my career in web dev?
>>
>>1045189

The same post every time deserves the same reply.

0. Learning
1. Portfolio
2. Consulting
3. Apply

Assuming you're sufficiently educated on the languages, (front end, back end, or full stack up to you) create a portfolio of your projects.

Then go to small businesses and professionals and say they have a shit website and cite some research about $x increase in sales from a better website for only $x/y. Don't ever do anything for free even if you are just starting off. Insist on your value add and go else where if they refuse.

Replace your portfolio with the better websites or work as you get better. Now fill in your resume with consulting experience for x months for the previous companies and professionals. Then network with other developers and ask them to try to get you in their company and also apply through standard routes everywhere. And I mean everywhere. You only need a few accepted applications even from shitty companies to leverage better offers. You probably won't get to Google or Amazon, but you can still get a comfy salary if you prove your expertise.
>>
>>1045189
Intern somewhere, there are a lot of places that will take someone with your kid of experience
>>
>>1045189
Look, you need to make it through the CompSci program. Two big reasons:

1. The dummies in HR aren't even going to look at a resume without a degree and tons of buzzwords. It doesn't matter how good you are or how relevant it is to the job, they're just ticking off boxes.

2. Assuming you really want to be a decent developer, you have to know backend technologies. You'll have to interact with Java/C#/PHP and a database (SQL) on almost any project. As a new hire, you don't have the luxury of faking and failing than an established, but equally incompetent, dev would.
>>
>>1045189
>Right now I'm a freshman in college studying computer science and I really am not enjoying all the shit I have to do to get a degree

Then you probably should not go into it.

By the time I entered college, I admire the great programmers I knew. Some of them were extremely financially successful. I wanted tobe like them and did what I needed to learn like them.

The toy classroom problems you work on are easy. Real world APIs are more frustrating. Consider if you made the right choice.
>>
>>1045189
The web/ app bubble is one of the sectors of the economy that is imminently popping right now. I would strongly recommend to GTFO of CS ASAP and go into something less saturated and vulnerable to downturns like nursing or medicine.
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.