[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Finally get first job >tech startup, it's doing breddy
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1
File: Tasting-Table-office.jpg (287 KB, 1200x675) Image search: [Google]
Tasting-Table-office.jpg
287 KB, 1200x675
>Finally get first job
>tech startup, it's doing breddy well
>work there for a year, first in a sales role, before moving to an analyst role (so like excel, python, SQL)
>at the end of my first year, not sure where to go

If I stay in tech, chances are I won't make much money unless I happen to bandwagon an early-stage startup that gets big.

If I go to finance, it'll be less fun (and I'll need a slightly different skillset), but I'll make a shitton of money.

Tech bubble may burst any day, not sure what to do. Anyone else in this boat? I feel like I need to upskill as fast as possible, but can't decide if it needs to be in a more coding-orientated direction, or in a more analyst direction (e.g. financial modelling)

Job changing general, I guess

Pic sort of related- tech offices are far nicer than finance offices
>>
>>1043796
Im about to graduate, how did you sink youre first job in the tech industry. Did you have coding skills already before moving into sales?

I want to work for a scale up tech firm and work as project manager later on. I had an internship at Thomson Reuters working in the strategy teams. It was great and i learnt a lot about product/project management and strategy. But I didn't know how to code or anything.

I wouldnt mind a sales role, because even if i'm a slight introvert on the spectrum, i think its a pretty crucial step to being able to work in strategy effectively.
>>
> tech bubble will bust
this is retarded.
tech isn't an isolated field.
there will always be a need in every modern industry for it. the field may be saturated soon with people straight out of college, but that doesn't matter if you already have experience.
>>
>>1043858
>how did you sink youre first job in the tech industry

Applied and got lucky. Helped that I knew someone working there, but I also had a lot of interview practice under my belt. Took fucking forever to find work though.

No, no coding skill beforehand- I'm good with languages, so I thought sales would be a natural choice, but I hated it. Kind of took an interest in coding during that time, so moved into the analyst role. Not too much coding involved, but enough to make it interesting.

>I wouldnt mind a sales role, because even if i'm a slight introvert on the spectrum, i think its a pretty crucial step to being able to work in strategy effectively.

I'd question that- sales is a pretty specific relationship-based thing imo. It'll help you learn the company and the industry, but in my experience, some people just like selling and others dont- I was the latter.

>there will always be a need in every modern industry for it. the field may be saturated soon with people straight out of college, but that doesn't matter if you already have experience.

To be clear, I was referring to the tech startup bubble, rather than tech in general.

It's more a case that the Silicon Valley gold rush is showing signs of coming to an end. It might not, mind you, but it's something that the back of my mind. Same shit happened to my cousins during the dotcom boom- came out of college with IT degrees to find there were suddenly no jobs where once they had been thick on the ground
>>
>>1043873
Sounds like adapt or die. And have a degree, but more importantly an interest in things that allow you to do so.
>>
>>1043796
What major/credentials?
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.