[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I don't understand this company. Yahoo says they have a
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3
File: shakeshack-lincolnroadmall.jpg (57 KB, 635x400) Image search: [Google]
shakeshack-lincolnroadmall.jpg
57 KB, 635x400
I don't understand this company.

Yahoo says they have a market cap of 1.16 billion dollars. They have 63 stores and before the IPO said this:
>The New York-based company plans to use the proceeds from the IPO to repay debt, as well as open new stores and renovate existing ones. Shake Shack is selling 14 percent of the company through the IPO.

So 63 stores are worth 8.3 billion!
That is an insane evaluation.

Also to repay debt and to renovate stores. Are you kidding me? So they aren't even going to use the IPO money to go national. You know, the one thing you are supposed to do!

Where is that guy that was pushing SHAK last year? I need to talk to you.
>>
I think it's just one of those stocks people buy because they love it. Kind of like chipotle before it gave everyone aids.
>>
File: lizclayman_shakeshack.jpg (42 KB, 876x493) Image search: [Google]
lizclayman_shakeshack.jpg
42 KB, 876x493
>>1042563
What you say has to be true. I didn't read their prospectus or quarterly reports. That's why I want that stock pusher to weigh in. Still I don't see how it could be a good investment when they aren't opening multiple stores every day.
>>
>>1042556
I think it reflects confidence in Union Square Hospitality Group as a whole, rather than just the Shake Shack brand. Probably overvalued as often with IPOs, but on the long, the brand is solid, and decreasing debt may be better for revenue than opening new stores with more borrowed money.
>>
>>1043124
Different guy but it definitely seems like a more sound plan than most restaurants at the moment.
>>
>>1043149
What do you mean different guy? Shake Shack is part of Danny Meyer USHG, right?
>>
>>1043183
>What do you mean different guy?
They mean they aren't you. Pointless because biz has id's.

I just don't like they they basically had probably only 30 restaurants before they were thinking of getting rich off an IPO. And they were in debt!
>>
>>1042556
Keep in mind that stocks are priced at expected value, not necessarily the current value. So for whatever asinine reason investors think Shake Shack / Parents is worth that much.

Also fast food chains that rely on "quality" as part of the brand need to be very careful when expanding because of supply chain concerns and other potential problems.
>>
File: Admiral_Christopher_Pike.jpg (139 KB, 781x808) Image search: [Google]
Admiral_Christopher_Pike.jpg
139 KB, 781x808
>>1043860
Chipotle went from 16 to 500 restaurants in 7 years.
>I dare you to do better
>>
>>1043867
Chipotles about to go down to 0 tho.
>>
>>1042556
>So 63 stores are worth 8.3 billion!
No, the market cap is $1.16 billion. lrn2finance.
>>
>>1043867
Ha. And look at them now.
>>
>>1044345
As stated in the OP, the outstanding stock is only 14% of the company.
>>
>Shake Shack’s prospectus includes a complicated diagram with ovals, triangles, boxes and arrows that graces a section called “Organizational Structure Following This Offering.”

>In fact, this ”organization structure” describes how the IPO will alter the company’s legal structure. The IPO will transfer a 31.6% stake of a limited partnership called SSE Holdings — which controls the business – into the hands of Shake Shack.

>If you buy into this IPO, you will be providing cash ”to buy common membership interests of SSE Holdings LLC, which is the predecessor of Shake Shack for financial purposes,” according to Reuters. Your proceeds will also go to repaying a $22 million loan, according to the prospectus.

>To compound the complexity, one of the IPO underwriters has a conflict of interest. That’s because J.P. Morgan Securities is one of the lenders under a “Revolving Credit Facility and will receive more than 5% of the net proceeds of this offering due to the repayment of outstanding borrowings,” according to the prospectus.
>>
>>1044371
No, you do not understand what market cap is. The IPO diluted the entire pool of common shares by 14%, but the market cap figure that you cited is the value of 100% of the common shares. That's what market cap is.
>>
>>1044390
1.16 times 7.142857142857143 is about 8.3 billion as stated in the OP.

100% / 14% = 7.142857142857143

Am I wrong?
>>
>>1044393
Market cap is the total amount that 100% of the shares can be sold for. They are only selling 14% of the market cap.
>>
>>1044393
You're not understanding that market cap = the value of 100% of the shares, not just the new shares that were issued in the IPO. $1.16 billion = the value of the 14% new shares + the 86% existing shares.
>>
>>1044398
>>1044399
Okay so, this is the same as planet fitness. You get a 14% voting interest in SHAK, but your cost (economic interest) is like 42%.
>>
>>1044403
I don't know anything about Planet Fitness, so I'm not sure what you're getting at here. All I'm saying is the market cap is $1.16 billion and that is the figure that you should be using as your valuation baseline. There is no reason to multiply that by 7 unless you are curious what 7 times SHAK's market cap is.
>>
>>1044403
What the fuck. Shake n steak is only getting like 160m in funding. The market cap is 1.16b. Multiply it by .14 you fuck.
>>
>>1044410
15.21 million shares outstanding
14% is not 5 million shares that they issued.
So you see there is a stock difference between voting interest (14%) and economic interest (~33%).
>>
>>1044421
I give up on this stock. I just don't trust these convoluted corporate structures. I'll stick with index funds.
>>
>>1044421
Okay, I actually looked it up, and you are right. There are two classes of shares, Class A and Class B. Class B does not have economic rights. Yahoo has incorrectly included the Class B shares in its calculation of market cap. The market cap should be 15 million Class A shares x ~$32/share, so $480 million. Not $1.16 billion.
>>
>>1044434
Actually, maybe this isn't quite right either. I give up. But either way, the valuation is not anywhere near $8 billion.
>>
>>1044421
Two different classes of stock then. The market cap is still 1.16b, and a p/e ratio of 83 for a restaurant chain is amazon levels of retard.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.