[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Resume thread, show us what you have, tell others how to improve.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
File: resume.png (12 KB, 197x256) Image search: [Google]
resume.png
12 KB, 197x256
Resume thread, show us what you have, tell others how to improve.
>Pic related but not mine, I need to make one.
>>
References is a dumb fucking waste of space. It's old tech and not relevant. All employers that want references will ask for them. "References available upon request" is also dumb as fuck
>>
>>1041980
This, t6h f@m.

Also the more your resume looks like a template the less engaged a recruiter will be.
>>
>>1041980
when I was 17 I put "References available upon request"
I didn't have any references, I just thought it looked nice
I got a job at a burger stand and they never asked for my references
>>
>>1041969
What is this, a resume for ants?
>>
>>1041969
General Tips:
1.) Less is more. Don't go with fancy graphics or colors and shit unless graphic design / art is part of the position. Stay concise and don't post walls of text. Keep formatting neat and minimalist if you want columns / lines / etc.

2.) Keep it to one page unless the position is executive / academic / scientific.

3. Write the resume with an expectation that the average HR worker / business manager will spend <15 seconds looking at it and probably won't see the bottom half unless there is information on there they are specifically interested in.

Put the most relevant sections (or what you want to emphasize) at the top / middle.

4. Proofread and edit. Nothing gets a resume thrown out faster than stupid shit like formatting problems, typos, looking like it was made in 5 minutes using Word defaults, etc.

5. Get a second pair of eyes to critique your resume. There is probably silly shit you didn't think about because you're socially retarded (as shown by posting on 4chan).

6. Your resume is most likely the first impression with an employer. Try not to fuck it up. Tailor the resume to each job if you're applying for multiple types of positions.

Also, don't even mention references at all. If you really think they'll want to have references, mention that "references are available upon request" in the cover letter.
>>
Most places don't ask for references anymore because they know most people lie on those things. The only jobs that use them are out of touch boomers working as the hiring manager. Just work on your cover letter, and even that isn't being read by a lot of hiring managers these days. Too many lazy managers.
>>
On the topic of references.

After my past two internships i asked my managers to write me up a reference letter or a 'letter of recommendation'. I mainly apply for jobs via company online portals like taleo. Usually theres an option to upload additional documents and i'll just upload my reference letters in there, and if they want to read them they can. My previous managers details are on the letter so if they want to contact them they can.
>>
File: resume.png (42 KB, 651x847) Image search: [Google]
resume.png
42 KB, 651x847
Any advise? I'm not getting any call-backs
>>
>>1042651
whats JaveScript
>>
>>1042681
JavaScript. I fixed that, thank you.
>>
>>1042026
wow a fucking burger stand, tell us more oh wise one
>>
>>1042651
Good resume, I'd remove the references unless someone here disagrees
>>
>>1043483

References are a waste of space, they're not considered during screening nor interview stage.
>>
>>1041980
>"References available upon request" is also dumb as fuck

No it isn't, it's fucking recommended.

That way you can actually TELL your references before they call, so they can think of something to say about you rather than "oh, umm, well, he's a good kid I guess, um"
>>
>>1043878
I just leave the line out entirely desu but maybe thats because my resume is stacked -- my experience speaks for itself and I can't spare the line.

Any time references are required they simply ask -- its a given that references are available.

Protip for a sexy latex resume: use this https://github.com/treyhunner/resume
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.