[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
is trades a meme?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 2
File: 1403426890247.jpg (85 KB, 500x705) Image search: [Google]
1403426890247.jpg
85 KB, 500x705
How do I become a tradesman in Ontario, canada? Is it as easy(or hard...) As finding a company to take me on as an apprentice?
>>
>>1040719
Where in Ontario faggotron? maybe have SOME semblance of the trade you want to get into?
>>
I got an apprentice-like job in plumbing for 11.5usd after taxes when I was 18. Was pretty happy all it consisted of was sitting in a car and handing down tools here and there. Felt like I was making bank too.
>>
Electrician in the GTA here.

You need a government sponsored apprenticeship. You can get these either by going through a trade-union or a non-union company. The former will get you registered with the government faster usually, if not right away. Both have their ups and downs, and varies widely depending on the trade. Apprenticeships are usually 3-6 years, with a pay scale starting around 40% of what a licensed person is earning. This increases yearly as you progress.

Being registered means you're on the government's radar and you are put on to the list of apprentices to go to government designed and approved school courses(usually 3 times for 8-12 weeks each.) These are only for registered apprentices and the only way you're going to get to take them is by being a registered apprentice. Sometimes you have to pay for the school (its not that expensive because of government subsidies. Books+tuition+parking, etc $1200~), or sometimes not..usually the case with unions.

Other forms of schooling you may have taken at colleges usually aren't recognized when it comes down to actual trades. Example: You wouldn't believe how many kids think their 'electric technologist' course at ______ college means they've somehow become an electrician. At best, they'll end up installing phone jacks for a telecom company for 14/h as a career. The governing body of apprentices, the Ontario College of Trades (Wynne money grab) may credit hours for such previous education however.
>>
>>1040740
Literally any. Electrician would be probably among first choice but I heard it's not the easiest to get into.

>>1040873
Yeah and how do I find an apprenticeship? How hard is it? Should I just apply to individual companies?
>>
>>1041077
Well?
>>
I worked the trades after I dropped out of high school (its actually what convinced me to get a GED and go to college. Kind of like how prison is needed for some people to turn their lives around)

If you want something comfy, you are in for a 20+ year ride of accruing seniority. That said, Plumbers (literally playing in shit and tampons) and electricians (working with your hands above your head 7 hours a day) are the worst.

Funny/Sick side story. One of the last days I worked we went to a house because their flood control failed. Turns out the plumber illegally hooked up the flood control to their catch basin (google all that, too drunk to explain)

I was the guy on top (too fat to fit in the catch basin) We had to use a bucket and rope to drain the thing down low enough to get to the release pipe at the bottom. I was hung over as fuck and tried calling in. My boss told me you come in or you are fired.

TL:DR the guy in the catch basin, in his boxers, with chunks of puke inducing greece floating around his balls, got puke water dumped on his head every time I pulled that rope up... for a good 5 hours.

Yea fuck your 18 dollars an hour
>>
>>1041185
W-worth it
>>
Bump. Can someone please tell me how to get started effectively?

Because on the internet it seems it comes down to "JUST find a company that will teach and pay you above minimum wage when you know nothing, bro"
>>
Pick a trade and go to college to study said trade.

After you've completed your degree you'll want to take the Red Seal exam.

You'll most likely network with people in college, and you should be able to find a job fairly easily via these connections. If not the Red Seal will help a lot in people considering you.
>>
>>1041673
I do not wish to go to college though.
>>
Engineering > college = trades
>>
>>1041679
It doesn't work like that.

Most trades jobs looks for some sort of certification or previous construction experience. Since you clearly have no previous experience (you have no idea how to become a tradesman in the first place) your only option is to go to college or do a job search for someone that'll hire and train you (not likely).
>>
>>1041690
Well fuck that sounds awful.

I just want to do an apprenticeship, I don't want to sit in class and then work just to earn a pitiful $50k/yr.
>>
>>1041693

You need to wake up to the fact that you're not a genius that magically has the jump on everybody else because you had the brilliant idea to not do college and do a trade instead. There is a reason intelligent people (far more intelligent people than you or any dumbfuck electrician on /biz/) go to college.
>>
>>1041706
There's gotta be some way senpai.
>>
Not opening the thread cause I'm not that concerned but you can bet your ass this dude telling you trades are hard to get into is some ads blasted tradie. Jobs don't fall out of the sky anywhere but there are definitely trades that are in demand.
>>
>>1041749
Lmao he's probably an apprentice in Ontario that is fearing competition tbqh.
>>
>>1041246

No, no its not when you consider a cashier at Costco makes $16 an hour in Chicago. Ill gladly pay 2 dollars an hour to not play in puke water and have chunks in my hair

Same goes for paying 2 dollars an hour to avoid major back and shoulder surgery or nerve damage from having my arms over my head 7 hours a day for years at a time.
>>
>>1041833
Fuck senpai that sounds awful.

I guess you could do it for a few years though and use the money to figure out something or start a business. Because doing that when you're 40+ is no way jose.
>>
>>1041848

Like I said, the entire experience was enough for me to realize I had fucked up and needed to fix my life quickly.

I had a GED and was enrolled in a community college in less than a year. You will notice the guys who are 40+ fall into 3 categories.

1. They have become a foreman/supervisor and basically do no labor anymore.
2.They are crippled and are paying a young kid 15-20 an hour out of their own pocket, to do all of the labor. They mostly just point and yell all day
3.They are raging alcoholics or addicted to meds from the pain they are in constantly.

Ever wonder why you dont see 60 year old tradesmen?
>>
>>1041855
I think there's a ton, at least in Canada.

There's hella different trades senpai. Tool and dye makers for example usually have some sort of engineering background and don't do all that physical labor.

You're right tho. But if you want to make money there is always a way desu.
>>
>>1041897
Shared owner of a trades company here. There are so so many trades workers with years of experience looking for work, and beneath that literally hundreds of fresh graduates a year looking for starting positions. Why in the flying fuck would I ever hire a guy with 0 education or work experience in the field, and take the time to personally teach them how to do their fucking job? Give it some thought actually; why would anyone ever do this. Also, you realize if you fuck up on the job it's your employers ass that gets burned right?
>>
>>1041906
Of course. I thought about that too. But then why does it happen?

I've heard of countless people both on 4chan and irl for whom it has happened.
>>
>>1041909
>i read it on the internet so it must be true

Ok bud, keep looking. I'm sure things will work themselves out.
>>
>>1041163
Apply to individual companies and say you;re seeking an apprenticeship. Maybe butter it up a little bit. You can also apply directly to the unions for specific trades. The IBEW for electricians, UA for the plumbers and steamfitters, etc. They might have pre-apprenticeship programs though, so be prewarned. Still paid work, but with hours that don't count toward your apprenticeship. It's basically cheap labour scam.
>>
>>1041673
see
>>1040873

Doesn't work like that in OPs location. Youd be wasting time and money on education that is already fine tuned and paid for once you have an apprenticeship contract.
>>
>>1041906
I hear you, but cheap labour for mindless things is great.

My company will typically hire a bunch of first-term apprentices for easy stuff like installing devices in condo suites. A more experienced worker can train such things very easily. Paying someone 13/h who has ambition and is working fast/afraid of getting fired is worth it in the end. Save the expensive licensed people for things that are actually important.
>>
>>1042348
What does that shit even teach you? What is the point of it and how is it any less inapplicable/redundant than doing an apprenticeship?
>>
Is going through a one year of schooling to get a cert in a trades a good idea?
Or should I go for 3 years to get a better diploma?

welding, HVAC, plumping, or linemen? which is better?
>>
File: 8836693501.jpg (21 KB, 350x263) Image search: [Google]
8836693501.jpg
21 KB, 350x263
>>1042487

If it is anything like the US there is a large difference between an "electrician" and an Electrician.

Ill give you an example. Union electrician with 30 years experience in the US, no school. Did his apprenticeship in the 80s while snorting massive amounts of coke.

He can wire the shit out of a house, he can do most small commercial spaces (strip malls for example)

Now you have an Electrician that has a 4 year engineering degree, finished his apprenticeship with the union 10 years ago. He wont even bother with the small jobs. He is designing the power systems of things like hospitals, data centers, and factories... the kinds of places that have their own transformer forest out back, have 3 phase panels every 50 feet, and multi million dollar redundant power systems

Its similar to being a mechanic in a gas station garage compared to a racing engineer for the Ferrari factory team.

Thats the difference in trades, at least in the US. Schneider Electric and Eaton for example only hire union electricians with at least a masters degree in electrical engineering. The school is the theory. The on the job training is becoming an electrician. You cant design an electrical system if you have never installed one before
>>
>>1042506
Welding is a meme and a shitty industry. HVAC pays well, but you end up curled up in some really crappy places (in crawl spaces under peoples houses, with the dead raccoon, for example) Plumbers, like I already said, literally play in shit for a few years before they can become a pipe fitter. Of your choices I would pick lineman all day every day as long as you arent sensitive to cold and arent afraid of heights.

If I had to pick a trade that wasnt going to kill my body over time though I would probably go with heavy machine operator for a construction company. While it might not be great for your back long term, driving something like a Cat 795F is still a hell of a lot better than most other choices
>>
>>1042506
These are really different career paths man....if you honestly have to just pick one on a whim like this, you're probably not going to like it.

There are pre-apprenticeship schools around, mostly for burnout indecisive millenials, which let you dab into a little bit of everything as far as the trades go. It's a money grab though.
>>
>>1042357
Cheap labour is cheap for a reason. I got my best guys still fucking up on some basic shit and theyve been at it for years. Oversight costs time and money and the risk of mistakes happening and me getting sued doesn't seem worth a couple of extra bucks in the long run.
>>
Your thoughts on home appliance repair /biz/?
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.