[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
20yr old fastfood worker seeking money
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2
File: image.png (959 KB, 1080x1325) Image search: [Google]
image.png
959 KB, 1080x1325
Hi biz I make ~14 /hr living with my parents working ~30 hrs a week. My parents pay for everything and I live in an undeniable excess of comfort. That being said I feel as though I should develop my abilities to generate income for the future. I recently dropped out of university and even more recently out of community college (2 years at university, 1 semester at cc). I would really like to develop some income-generating abilities but I do not plan on returning to school any time soon. I have $8000 in the bank and have experience working various odd jobs along with my main fastfood gig, but have shattered my ego with psychs and don't plan on establishing many connections. Any recommendations on how I could increase my potential for income?
>>
>>1026208
Why do you keep dropping out?

Why even waste money enrolling if you don't want to do it?
>>
>>1026211
my parents met at college and tried to prepare me for college since I was very young (from what I recall, I would ask questions about their past together and the discussion would often lead to their college days which would then lead to discussions about my future college days). I also have a sister who is 4 years older and graduated from university. My twin brother and I were not prepared to go to college despite our parents efforts. he flunked out his freshman year and I stayed in school "studying" liberal arts for 2 years and easily could have completed my degree if I had stayed. This was because my university was a memetier liberal arts/business school cash cow that basically sold degrees to lazy fucks with rich parents (yo). So I decided to leave without failing any classes or anything, came home and took a semester at cc convinced that a trade program there would be worthwhile. However after my first semester it does not seem worthwhile
>>
>>1026217
Why do you keep switching from College to University throughout your post? Choose one senpai
>>
>>1026219
it makes sense if I provided the names of the educational institutions attended (eg university of ----------, ---- college) but I will not for anonymitys sake
>>
>>1026208
Well, you're not going to increase your value sitting at home with your parents. Which I think you know that.
There are essentially two paths to take here.
>Blue collar
Which would require you undergoing an apprenticeship. Or, going to a trade school.
>White collar
Which would require you getting a degree in something useful, coupled with/or knowing someone in desired field.
Seeing as you're not interested in the "university" experience, I'd vie for the latter blue collar route.

However, this all depends on how much of your undergraduate you've completed.

If you've completed at least half, I'd say go for the completion of the degree.

Once you have a degree in your hands, no matter the kind, people will be more inclined to talk to you about work.
>>
File: image.jpg (30 KB, 310x233) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
30 KB, 310x233
>>1026493
I have completed 2 years and it would take an additional 2 to get my degree. However it was a useless liberal arts degree from an obscure school. I'd prefer the blue collar path you described but I don't know anyone who could mentor me and I am averse to unions. Any further recommendations down the trade school path? I'd love to hear your experiences biz
>>
>>1026208
>but have shattered my ego with psychs and don't plan on establishing many connections

Can you please elaborate on that, being specific? How did psychs make you "not plan on establishing many connections" ?
>>
>>1026208
>don't plan on establishing many connections.
then you are not willing to look for a job then as that is how you actually get a good job, by establishing connections.
> I recently dropped out of university and even more recently out of community college (2 years at university, 1 semester at cc
no decent job will take a look at a dropout
>~14 /hr living with my parents working ~30 hrs a week. My parents pay for everything and I live in an undeniable excess of comfort.
Do what I do, get a 2nd part time job, increase hours to around 50 hours a week, split money like this.

20% savings, to cover surprises (i recommend a 1% online bank)
70% total stock market index fund
10% total bond market index fund

If you are daring put savings into total bond market index fund but to be honest even if your parents are helping you out i wouldn't risk it.

I work 50-60 hours a week and make less than you do, but still manage to save about half what I make by being careful what I buy and not taking on any "stupid" debt like extra cars, expensive hobbies, no drinking habits, no drugs etc. After 7 years I think I have about 80k set aside in their respective areas.

Take note that you need about 100k to start impacting your income and at 350k you can invest in big dividend companies exclusively in order to generate life changing income.
>>
>>1026208
>>1026217
tldr : you're a lazy sack of shit
>>
>>1026839
>>1026845
I leave a bizarre first impression. I am good at brief anonymous human interaction but when people ask me about my personality and experiences things get wierd quick so only people who are way weirder than me stick around. Sometimes this is ok but It's led to a lot of wildcard situations in my life that I'm ok with leaving behind for a simpler life of relative loneliness. I am not looking for a job nor asking about one I was thinking more about developing skills that can generate income. Thank you for your advice >>1026845 when I was working 2 jobs last summer I was working that many hrs and this seems feasible. Mind if I ask what kind of jobs you work?
>>
>>1026852
I would call it a mid range depression with a side of lazy

it happens when you go to college and things don't work out
>>
>>1026861
i work at a retail store that specializes in appliances. job is helping customers but it is more about putting appliances on the shelves. Shelving space for retail stores usually hold 1-2 appliances so you need to get those and put them out most of the day since people buy them often.

2nd job is retail, stocking shelves food store. Not much to say about it.

If you can find one physical and one non physical job you should do that unless you are in good shape. Example would be cashiering at night at a gas station, stocking shelves somewhere else during morning or day.

Since most part time jobs aim at 15-28 hours two part time jobs are fairly efficient if you are not going for college type jobs.

As a bonus you sometimes get free food from both work places, or deep discounts.

Simple example is I believe working at Best Buy nets you electronic purchases a nice discount.
>>
>>1026895
Thanks for the input man. I'll find a second job in the next month or two and get in a similar routine
>>
>>1026861
But what does that have to do with psychedelics and your ego?
>>
>>1027168
what I meant was that my experiences with psychedelics totally altered my personality and now I am very reserved/paranoid/antisocial, hence the 4chan posting.
>>
How do you fail out of a liberal arts degree...? Each test is like short-answer or essay-answers, it's hard to get wrong if you write enough bullshit....I got 2 degrees with barely studying and going to class. Grow up you baby
>>
>>1026845
>saving that much money

I'd just keep those 8000 he already has(should be more than enough for any surprise a basement dweller might have) and then put 100 % of his savings every month(which should be in the 80 % of total salary range for a basement dweller) into index funds.
>>
>>1027196
I didn't fail a class. I just left
>>
>>1027188

What happened exactly? What psychs did you take, what "revelations" made you more reserved/paranoid/antisocial?

I am curious, because on one hand, I am kinda reserved to begin with, and on another hand, because it seems that most people become the opposite e.g. less reserved after psychs.
>>
>>1026208
Learn how to use microsoft office. Having any concept of how to use excel puts you above and beyond a vast majority of prospective employees.
Unless you know someone who can get you a job somewhere, you're going to have to either a) get into a trade, welding is a popular one, b) go to a college for something you have some interest in or can keep yourself going to (for what it's worth it's not uncommon for people to drop out early; universities or community colleges sometimes just don't mesh well with some students and when you're asked to have your life planned out at 18 it's reasonable for it to fall flat) or c) find some way to meet people who can get you a job, assuming you're not a giant douchebag and people like you. I'd also suggest knowing basics for doing any sort of handyman work; fixing plumbing, electricals, low level carpentry. Get your mom or dad to put up an ad where they work if you go this route. It's not a full time job but it's a step in the door. Realistically you're not going to go far in fast food, even as a manager you're not looking at very bright prospects.
However, all of this and anything else you want to do is going to require you to get off your ass and put in some work.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.