[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are /biz/'s stock picks for 2016? Hard mode: No shitty
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 7
What are /biz/'s stock picks for 2016?

Hard mode: No shitty penny stocks; you won't "pump" anything by promoting it on this board, newfags. Stick to spamming Facebook.
>>
I'll start by saying I'm rather bullish on marijuana stocks in 2016, although I haven't picked any specific ones yet.
>>
>>1019165

How is it legal for there to be marijuana stocks on the market?
>>
>>1019194
Marijuana itself is not a traded commodity. But many companies that produce medical marijuana and legal consumables are traded. Seattle and Denver are big markets.
>>
Stock analysts do not understand two things in my opinion, major tech companies and video games.

ATVI's surge in 2015 was constantly fought with analysts thinking it had no upside, that mobile games were terrible and Hearthstone couldn't generate revenue. But quarter after quarter they beat expectations.

EA hit record highs right before starwars battlefront didn't sell well. And everyone acts like that is the only thing that generates EA's revenue. Analysts have no idea how to price these companies.

Amazon's AWS cloud server is the backbone of the US government's online portals, all of netflix and most major sites in the US. Yet, for the last two earnings periods, analysts wrote it off as nothing worthwhile.
Why is this? Because analysts are finance bros who never ran a website in their life. Amazon is undervalued believe it or not, and AWS is carrying them there.

I am also bullish on Kroger Foods. They keep buying up the best performing grocery chains in the nation and continue to provide great competition for whole foods without the price point. I shop at kroger and kroger subsidiaries and am always happy.
>>
Any good penny stocks for a RH newbie to fuck with and learn with?
>>
>>1019215
Penny stocks are prime for pump and dumps. You won't learn anything when wondering why tbev moved .001 cents.

If you have $500, play diverse companies and sector etfs.
For instance, XME is a mining stocks ETF,
RIG is one of the largest oil explorers/drillers.
GE is well GE
KO is Coke
PFE is Pfizer
VZ is Verizon
INTC is Intel
NKE is Nike

You can buy one share of each and have a very diversified portfolio without the concern of major pumps.
That would cost you around $280 for 1 share each of those companies.

Then you have $220 left for companies you find interesting or sectors that you have a personal opinion on. Do you like apple? AAPL is trading at 107 right now.
Do you think cigarettes and e-cigs have a strong market? MO is altria group, which is probably the most well known cigarette conglomerate in the world. It's at $58

Think a random poster on a sudanese shemale image board is right about video game stocks or groceries?
ATVI is trading right around $40 and Kroger is at $42.

It isn't the size of your portfolio that matters, it is how you balance the risk on it. Just start with one or two shares of any company. You'll feel the pain and the joy that all traders feel.

Buying one share wasn't reasonable until robinhood came out. Take advantage of it.
>>
>>1019203
wat? Evercore has AWS alone at $50bn and calls that conservative

If anything analysts are too bullish on amazon
>>
You're right, evercore was the only group who knew. Look at how the stock jumped after the last two earnings announcements. That gap up was because the major analysts were not expecting AWS worth.

I don't chart, but those jumps mean the world was surprised when amazon was higher EPS than expected and AWS carried a lot of that burden.
>>
>>1019215
If you're looking at pump & dumps, ASTI is a good pick. It has plenty of downsides, but it has enough upsides (recent US patents, recent R&D national award) to warrant legitimacy. It claims to have big plans for the CES conference next week, so buy a few hundred shares now and sell when it increases by 20% or so next week after their big reveal.

The thing about pump and dumps is grabbing a few forums to find the trending topics and see WHY they'll pump, and WHY they'll dump. Once you understand that, the game is 10x better than gambling. Before that it's only 2x better than gambling since you don't automatically lose your money when you're wrong.
>>
>>1019148
AMSC
EVOK
SUNE
>>1019203
I actually work with Kroger, but I think they may have topped off. The rush was to raise the stocks as high as possible, and I can only really see that happening with maybe some more buyouts in the mid-west. Roundy's was a good pickup, but I don't see how they can get much higher then they currently are. Still pretty heavily invested with them in my 401k as the dividends are pretty nice, but I really wouldn't trust them for individual investments.
>>
>>1019386
Oh, also JCP. I think it's got a lot of room for growth.
>>
I don't know too much, buy I'm trying to diversify in the tech sector. I plan on having stocks in AMD, ATVI, DDD and NVDA for 2016. Buy AMD and DDD now, hold on ATVI and NVDA, they're at some high points and I'm hoping to see them drop a bit before shooting up again.
>>
>>1019234
>>1019267

Thanks for the advice. What do you mean by "pump and dumps" though? My understanding was that pump and dumps referred to stocks being artificially inflated and then sold, by the same party, for a profit - but you seem to be using it in a diff. context? Can you elaborate?
>>
>>1019454
No it's the same context, but not really by the same party.

Essentially, penny stocks have a trend where everyone thinks it's going to the next level for X, Y, or Z reasons. Suddenly a $0.17 stock is worth $0.24 overnight. Doesn't sound like a big deal, right? Except that's a 40% raise in 24 hours. If you had $100,000 in that penny stock, you just made $40,000 in a day.

When a huge shift like that happens, normally because everyone bought in because of some good news (new patent, good quarter, new award, new product), everyone then starts selling to make sure they don't miss this chance for a 40% profit. Since everyone is selling, the price drops back down again. Once the gains are lost, the deal seekers think it's done so they don't buy back in for a while. As a result, this stock could go from $0.17 to $0.24 and back down to $0.15 in the course of 2 days, or even less.

Penny stocks are volatile because of the people who invest in them: those seeking the next big thing, and those seeking a quick return. In the end, it's a larger risk than most because the stock could be delisted entirely or the company could go bankrupt.
>>
>>1019459

Awesome, thanks a lot for the breakdown, I srsly appreciate it. Makes a lot more sense now. Does it make sense to fuck with penny stocks at all then? Is there any value to trading them, even from a learning perspective? I'm just hesitant to start spending a lot on larger shares, which I'm starting to think now is illogical, but I just don't know a lot about trading to begin with, so that's probably why I'm treading lightly.
>>
>>1019148
GOOGL seems to have topped off.
Biotechnology stocks were battered in 2015 so now is the time for Gilead Sciences
ATVI movie is out 2016 along with Legion and other stuff. I'd wait for a dip.
APPL is dead.
Citi and other banks are going to either make a lot of money with increased interest rates or flop. Wait for the rate change.
Seeing Saudi cut subsidies I'm bullish on Exxon Mobil not to mention President Trump will get them to harvest oil in the Middle East.
>>
>>1019463
Long term I'd say buy MSFT or CVX. CVX will win out when oil comes back up, microsoft has the corporate market by the balls.

Short term, ASTI is a good stock. It recently won a lawsuit, paid off a debt, and received a patent. Then it got a delayed issuance stating it might be delisted, so everyone panicked and the price dropped. It won't be delisted due to its major successes, that issuance was put into process months ago when ASTI looked doomed. They're opening something big at the CES next week so now's a good time to buy as it will shoot up by 20% or so during the announcement or when the delisting claim is appealed.

Never invest in a penny stock unless you know why it's down and why it will be back up. /biz/ is surprisingly good for that kind of knowledge, especially robinhood threads, but make sure to google anything they tell you because this is the god damn internet.
>>
File: rfskKoC.jpg (21 KB, 289x292) Image search: [Google]
rfskKoC.jpg
21 KB, 289x292
>>1019468

Thanks a lot man, is stocktwits a good place to do research? Any other good ones? Or just Google in general?
>>
>>1019477
Honestly I use Yahoo Finance.

>easy to read
>articles attached
>different charts to choose from

Shit's so cash
>>
>>1019477

Excellent I'll check it out then, thanks again m8.
>>
File: ASTI.png (61 KB, 511x579) Image search: [Google]
ASTI.png
61 KB, 511x579
>>1019477
>ASTI
Here's a chart.
You can probably pinpoint when the profitability will resume.
>>
>>1019463
You keep mentioning learning stock markets.
Trading penny stocks will not teach you about how markets move and how companies react to news because there are so many factors at play with penny stocks.

>>1019459 explains it correctly. People are playing penny stocks for speculation only. On the contrary people actually believe in Starbucks when they buy it.

Because of the factors that could make a penny stock jump (especially in biotech), you won't learn about how real companies exist.

And seriously, how much will you actually care if 4 shares of a $0.17 stock moved? It's easy to forget when there is almost no skin in the game.

In that same regard, how much are you risking when you buy a share of CAT at 63? Do you think Caterpillar is gonna go bankrupt anytime soon?
It is almost safe to say you couldn't lose more than $15 and even then, it would be tragic.

Once you understand, even barely, how standard stocks and markets move, then you can start looking into speculation plays, but don't start there first. Look at real companies that are actually providing a product or service that generates revenue. By the nature of how they work, the odds of losing a lot of money is low.

Stay away from options, ultra leveraged, volatility assets and stocks cheaper than a couple of dollars from the get go. All of those tools are used for speculation.
>>
>>1019489

I feel like the answer is that

>a. it will not resume
>b. it will resume right away

How close am I?
>>
>>1019490
>You keep mentioning learning stock markets.
>Trading penny stocks will not teach you about how markets move and how companies react to news because there are so many factors at play with penny stocks.

Fair enough, this makes sense.
>>
>>1019492
Oh. I couldn't really say.
I don't read charts.
>>
I'm bearish in general. That said I'm watching airlines pretty close as their fuel hedges expire they should be making more money with cheaper fuel without doing anything else. DAL HA ALK

Commodities have been beaten to a pulp. Every time I think they've found a bottom they go lower. Even if they do find a bottom they could stay down for a while. Also a number of commodity companies have high debt loads so this area is high risk. Know that going in. I'd stay away from gold, Nat Gas and oil but copper, aluminum and iron ore have a lot of upside when they return. Not going to name any companies here due to the risk but there should be at least a couple on your watch list.

Banking should benefit from the rate increase(s). The big names should suffice. C GS JPM. If you live in a particular area that's doing well you might want to look at some of the smaller regional banks.

Semiconductors have been beaten up too. Had to say when this will change but when it does STX WDC MU are some names to keep an eye on.

For the most part if the market goes south it doesn't matter what company or how well run it is it's going to get dragged down. Everybody is looking for growth so any company/sector that shows signs of life will be the place to be. Since I'm bearish I think a hedge in SH PSQ or DOG is a good idea. Stay away from the 2x and 3x ETFs unless you're trading them. They are not good buy and hold instruments

Good luck and happy trading!
>>
Same as every year, dividend aristocrats.
>>
>>1019579
Which stocks do you recommend for someone that doesn't have too much cash for dividends? I'm looking at CLM, TICC and ELRC. Thoughts?
>>
TSX: UR
>>
Railroads rebound? UNP
Industrials pick up? CMI, CAT
Infrastructure boom? URI, FLR
Energy? OKE, KMI
VRX finally gets over the Philidor BS?
>>
You know why Warren Buffet is so fucking rich? Because he invests in what he knows, like insurance or banking. He avoids attractive shit like tech or pharma because he doesn't know shit about tech or pharma.

So my best advice for you fags is to trade SOLELY in industries your understand.

If all you like are video games, cartoons, and sports, invest solely in those industries. It sounds childish, but fuck it, it works.
>>
>>1020130
>UNP
It's hella attractive, anon, but UNP is dependent heavily on the coal industry. Oil prices are butt fucking cole, closing up mines, and casing damage to the industry that will take years to repair AFTER the oil prices come back up. UNP is down for 5 years at least, go with an airline for now.
>>
>>1021424
Or, rather, invest the way Buffet recommends.

100% in a low-fee index fund.

Anything else and you're a fucking retard.
>>
>>1019485
my main theory as to why yahoo still exist is that they are massive in japan since those fuckers still internet like its the 90s and yahoo finance.
Yahoo finance is actually better designed than the bloomberg site or google stocks. And it was one of the first big tech companies trying to offer a free online portal for biz stuff.

The more I think about the post web 2.0 internet, the more I miss the old yahoo days.
Social media oriented web is going to make me quit internet as a hobby sometime in the future.
>>
>>1021424
honestly he made a lot of his early dough buying undervalued failing companies for X USD then fire all the people and sell the machines, infrastructure and real estate for more than X USD.

He's the poster boy of post-industrialized america and the fall of the manufacturing heart of that country. It's not his fault but that's not exactly something very heartwarming. He is a no nonsense investor, patient not obsessed by short term profit.

As far as gorillionaires go, he's one of the least obnoxious.
>>
>>1019148
An S&P500 index fund.

Because I'm not a speculative idiot.
>>
AAPL

I'm also buying CAT while its low to collect dividends the next few years.

If you think oil is going to recover next year I would look at NOV. But my guess is oil won't get above 55.
>>
>>1019203
I really like Kroger as well and I totally agree with the video game company statement. NVIDIA is another company that had a good year and is poised for another one
>>
idk about murican stocks but I'm going for Fingerprint Cards AB. 1500% growth in 2015 and will probably double it self in 2016.
>>
>>1021482
They are one of the best fantasy sports websites as well
>>
>>1019234
Do I trade buy stock if it is cheaper or higher in price ty
>>
>>1021463
Thanks for the advice. I'll keep rails on my watchlist and nibble in the future maybe.
>>
>>1021497
AAPL and CAT are both solid companies but are in strong downward trends. I'd avoid AAPL and CAT won't come back until the dollar weakens.
>>
>>1019148
My uncle filled me in on MCK, said its currently undervalued and beginning to recover. looking at a 5 year chart and id say he's right.
>>
>>1022638
I think AAPL will bottom out at 103.5-104 and will spike on earnings. They're still printing cash over there - what's all the concern over, slowing growth? They're still growing, and their p/e of ~11.5 is still great without the growth.
>>
>>1019386
This is the correct answer on Kroger. Good in a fund but not as an individual stock unless you're good at plays on earnings calls. Even then.
>>
>>1022848
>>1019386
I live in Chicago and Mariano's was a great chain to pick up. When looking at the major superstores, Kroger is the only one adapting to current shopping needs. They are taking the Whole Foods mentality and not overpricing.

Aldi is terrible, Walmart is just reacting and Albertsons are really just classically aisles and major foods.

Also the dividend is pretty great; 1% per quarter.
But I've been in since $32, so what do I know at this point.
>>
>>1021492
Hey, are you the angry guy posting in the other thread?
Come on man, tell people to buy index funds over in the "plz investment advice guise" thread.

This one clearly says "stock picks".
>>
Apple
>>
McKesson would be a good bet, as well as Bluebird bio. I currently have 5 shares of Exxon Mobil, 20 Shares of BlackBerry, and 3 Shares of McKesson. Those three companies make up 50% of my investments on RH
>>
File: image.jpg (4 KB, 125x125) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
4 KB, 125x125
EA, DIS , CAT , Dutch shell , XOM halfway through next year , AAPL at 103-104 , NVDA , AMD (tiny amount) , and Canadian CGC ( canopy growth)

Pick these stocks and you will succeed.
>>
>>1019148
>Stick to spamming Facebook.
This gave me an idea? Is it possible to use Facebooks ads (target men 35-55, with disposable income) to pump and dump a stock?

Anyone in the news for it yet? Writing a bunch of fake articles, putting it on facebook and then cashin out?
>>
>>1019576
Protip: Commodities will take another beating this year because oil is going to get raped.
Banking is building another CDO bubble. They might benefit a bit from the intrest rate. But find a financial ETF to get teh whole sector.
>>1020130
Railroad is good, but infrastructure is going to boom. The federal government is spending billions in infrastructure development.
>>
>>1022797
Good pick anon. MCK is on my watchlist too.
>>
What about SQuare? I started seeing their card readers at real businesses instead of just comic conventions. I use one and like that their business model isn't as much if a screw job as their competitors. If they ever do a Windows version they'll really take off.
>>
>>1023025
Groundwell method for shit stocks.
>>
File: 1451233720812.jpg (837 KB, 2992x2328) Image search: [Google]
1451233720812.jpg
837 KB, 2992x2328
how long it takes to ASTI aproach 10-20 dollars or more? I am thinking buy few thousand of them
>>
>>1023286
2 hours. You better buy in right at open Monday or risk being a c u c k for life.
>>
>>1023286
Probably never, but maybe in the 2030 range.
>>
>>1023286
Think of it this way, anon:

If it grows 10% every year for 50 years, it will be $16 in 2066. It very likely will not grow 10% every year for 50 years.
>>
>>1022843
If the growth slows, then the valuation of the stock is lowered. A way some do valuations is (EPS)/(ROE-%growth) If the growth slows then you you can have a lower stock price.

Not counting dividends of course.
>>
Here's my plan,
Screened them all out, solid companies that won't bust. LTBR may get delisted, but from what I read they are dead set on staying on the exchange,
>>
>>1023475
Are even their products viable? Can they get some army contracts... or patents...
Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.