[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So after paying for tuition for this semester, I'm left
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 5
File: 1413413169399.jpg (118 KB, 1200x934) Image search: [Google]
1413413169399.jpg
118 KB, 1200x934
So after paying for tuition for this semester, I'm left with just barely $150.72 in my account. Needless to say, my savings will dwindle as the months go on with the purchasing of study materials and the occasional 3:00 AM takeout. How do I take the little money I have and consistently grow it without resulting to wagecuck that will cut into time that could be spent studying? I've seen Robinhood threads that look appealing but I'm terribly inexperienced when it comes to trading tech analysis and I'm not even sure $150.72 is even enough starting to make any actual money.
>>
>>1016302
*trading and technical analysis
>>
i think in your position the only option is to get a job (try and see if there are openings on Campus, maybe you could work with a professor that means you learn something but you can also get money) You may need to resort to wagecuckery which is fine, as long as you dont stay a perpetual wagecuck. You probably have more than enough time to work and study, you just need to learn to manage time properly (easier said than done)
>>
>>1016306
All the campus opportunities here are taken up by people who can't even pay tuition. My concern isn't being able to pay tuition. If it comes down to it I can always ask a wealthier family member who happens to like me for a loan. It's a matter of having a way of sustaining my savings. Is there any way I could turn the money into passive income while still having access to it? I don't mind living my day-to-day poor, I just don't want to live my day-to-day broke.
>>
>>1016314
ah ok, didn't understand your question. If need be, I would always prefer working to asking a family member for shekels. I suggest reading this:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/investopedia/2012/03/29/how-to-invest-if-youre-broke/
>>
If you don't want to get a job your only option with that little amount of money is to sell drugs. Go get an adderal perscription or buy 150 bucks worth of pot and break it down into joints for 5 a piece at college parties. If you don't wanna do that then get a job.
>>
>>1016324
To be quite honest I'd probably take out a loan before asking anyone for a huge sum. I just meant to accent the fact that tuition wasn't a concern.
I'll give the link a read. Thanks.

>>1016325
If I can't find a legitimate way to make money and there really are no more jobs left on campus, I'll look into it. The university is mandating me to go to regular therapy so I could probably squeeze some prescriptions out if need be.
>>
Take out more loans, and bet it all on SFXE. Trust me.

It's all about the leverage, my man.
>>
File: SFXE.png (36 KB, 792x504) Image search: [Google]
SFXE.png
36 KB, 792x504
>>1016324
DRIPS and target date funds look a bit more long term. Are ETFs worth the dive for monthly profit?

>>1016357
why SFXE
>>
>>1016302

...you fell for the college meme? Yikes.
>>
>>1016366
i think this is a very thinly veiled pump and dump
>>
>>1016370
I fell for the academe meme - a fraudulent scheme that's left me without steam. Not my choice though. Asian famiwry will disown me if I don't get a useless degree.

>>1016371
Had to be sure. Good thing I know how to use Google.
>>
>>1016302
>occasional 3:00 AM takeout

Cut that shit out. Get a job. Live and on rice beans. Save your money and invest it wisely.
>>
>>1016377

What city are you in?
>>
>>1016387

This. However, what you said is going to fall on deaf ears.

When you have people like OP making statements such as:

>How do I take the little money I have and consistently grow it without resulting to wagecuck that will cut into time that could be spent studying?

along with

>My concern isn't being able to pay tuition. If it comes down to it I can always ask a wealthier family member who happens to like me for a loan.

and

>I fell for the academe meme - a fraudulent scheme that's left me without steam. Not my choice though.

you basically have someone condescending people who actually work and make money (I guess his study time is too precious despite going for a useless degree when others do the college/job juggle all the time), while abrogating themselves of any sort of personal responsibility for their lives and outcomes. It's a shit attitude, and one that will invariably lead to failure.
>>
>>1016411

You must be older than 30. I'd bet money on it.
>>
>>1016426

You are pretty lucky. I turned 30 two days ago. Was it the cynicism that gave it away?
>>
>>1016435

No, only 30+ year olds believe college is still a good idea, that's how I knew.

>27 y.o. self employed software company owner btw who has never had a job and attended 2 colleges for shits and giggles, so I know what I'm talking about.
>>
>>1016441

The point of the third quote was to highlight that OP views himself as adrift, a product of the external environment that has its way with him. He has shown no agency in his posts which is a poisonous mindset.

You are right and wrong about college being a good idea. In OP's case, college is retarded. He will have a degree that likely has no actual value aside from the parchment that it is printed on.

That said, there are a number of fields in which degrees do offer opportunity. Medical fields such as nursing and various technologists can make massive returns off of a two year education. Risk analysis and security are one of the hottest career paths in IT. Picking up a trade is also a smart choice.

You know as well as I do that most people could not deal with self-employment. There is a lot of uncertainty, especially toward the beginning, and people do not like risk. Most people, I would hazard, would prefer a steady 9-5 paycheck.

I own a marketing firm and small newspaper (which is more of an arm of marketing than a profit maker in its own right). I went back to college after going for a while at 18, and just finished up an associates degree. I'm plugging away at accounting/finance because I'd like to expand into financial services, and you need the credibility. I've always run my business as one that I could manage every detail. Again, college has its place, but one must approach it wisely.
>>
>>1016463

Fair enough, but I think perpetuating the college meme in any way is irresponsible, so I disagree on principle. It's an institutionalized scam in the same way many religions are; it breeds its own victims, but c'est la vie.
>>
>>1016441
>self employed software company owner

What's the name of your mobile app?
>>
>>1016477

There are ~50 of them, I'm not about to list them or their desktop equivalents. :^)
>>
Start fixing computers.

Mostly software problems.

Buy cheap antivirus on the net and offer clean ups of windows computer plus licensed antivirus.

On vacations I wagedcucked as a dishwasher in a restaurant, Fix some coworker faulty driver on his keyboard and started telling everybody about it and by the end of the the summer vacacion I had fixed some laptops from the coworkers and some other workers from same restaurant chain. One Manager paid me 40 bucks because I fixed his computer screen and told him he only needed to change the vga cable for a hdmi cable.
>>
>>1016480
Whats tips and recommendations would you give to a college cs student?

What are the things that are a must to be learn.

College program is a meme, so what do you recommend I must learn before getting my meme degree.
>>
>>1016470

I understand your point, and I agree for the most part. Most of the examples that I listed which have the most return and are actually worthwhile (nursing (RN), radiological technologists, respiratory therapists, sonographers) can all be done at a community college in two years for a reasonably low amount of money. I would not consider those irresponsible recommendations. I'd be hesitant to forward anything which would not produce a job or a clear career path even with community college (like business admin, liberal arts etc.)

I would not recommend 4-year college universally by any means, and I'm only going myself for the CPA or CFP so that I can significantly enhance an already pre-existing business, and I have the means to do so with cash and no debt.

Most people would likely be better off learning trades, but few seem to want to go into those fields. Self-employment is treacherous and difficult, and most people can't deal with the pressure of uncertain income.

I don't know. Having worked in food service and menial jobs for a number of years when I was quite young, I find that success requires threading a delicate needle, and the paths available to get there are rather nebulous involving either personal risk or debt.
>>
>>1016486

I'm not sure, I don't program myself, I just hire people who can. If you like the CS program you're in then stick with it and do freelance stuff on the side.

>>1016488
>I would not consider those irresponsible recommendations.

I agree.

>I find that success requires threading a delicate needle, and the paths available to get there are rather nebulous involving either personal risk or debt.

Well said.
>>
>>1016488
Rn reporting in.

Nursing the easiest guaranteed way to become lower / middle class but remember that you're pay will top out in 5 years. All a bachelor's does after that is get you away from bedside.

Also with the prerequisites and waiting lists it takes as long as a bachelors.

If you can stomach the math go STEM
>>
>>1016333
>The university is mandating me to go to regular therapy
Why?
>>
File: 1419343623631.gif (318 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
1419343623631.gif
318 KB, 480x360
>>1016387
>"Save your money and invest it wisely."
see >>1016366
>Asking how to get into investing the right way. Let me how to instead of just telling me. You seem like a person with a lot of experience from your posts and I'd like to know how you do it.

>>1016561
>>1016463
>I'm pursuing an IT degree with a specialization in cybersec.
I've worked restaurants, factories, retail, and supermarkets before. I don't mind the work. It's relaxing. I'm not against resulting to wagecuck, just trying to find a better way to optimize time so I can get the degree faster and work in a white-collar job I will most likely develop clinical depression in as soon as possible.
You're right about the poisonous mindset. I am going to therapy as mandated by the university after a recent suicide attempt (their form of handling liability) and am working on getting rid of this feeling of being adrift (see >>1016333).

>>1016503
>>1016486
Is CS more of a meme than IT? This is an honest question. I don't know which meme I should pursue. What's your opinion as a person who hires CS and IT grads?

>>1016435
Happy Birthday

>>1016482
Sounds like something I can get into. I'm pursuing an IT job anyway so it might be good mental preparation.

>>1016470
Most parents don't realize that and push their kids through a 4-year with no real rationale.

>>1016488
My mother is an RN and is consistently miserable. My father works in the OR as a nurse and supposedly it's god-teir pay-to-work ratio. They're pushing me towards nursing but I'm already 2 years into IT. Is it too late for me?

>>1016523
Do you feel content your work? My mother has been an RN for 20+ years and has become consistently miserable.
>>
>>1016409
New Brunswick, NJ
Rutgers University
>>
>>1016575
I hate when people mass quote like this

Fuck off op hope you starve
>>
>>1016366
buy low sell high chump
>>
>>1017593
Friendly reminder that you're not obligated to read this thread
>>
>>1017685
He's right, fuck off and die you chink shit
>>
>>1017726
>I'm a jap turd and not a chink shit
Right about what? He shitposted then left. The only point he made was that he hates mass quotes and hopes I starve. Nowhere in there did he respond with something relevant to the discussion.
Try again friend
>>
File: jazzTrans.jpg (51 KB, 306x472) Image search: [Google]
jazzTrans.jpg
51 KB, 306x472
>>1016411
>>1016426

You two seem wise from two perspectives. Can you weight in on this thread, please?

>>1017830
>>1017830
>>1017830
>>
OP of >>1016426 here

>>1017846

Weigh in on what, exactly?
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.