[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm wanting to get a credit card to start building my credit.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 1
File: quicksilverone.png (17 KB, 244x154) Image search: [Google]
quicksilverone.png
17 KB, 244x154
I'm wanting to get a credit card to start building my credit. I have never had a card before and I have a steady job. Really liking the Capitol One Quicksilver One card.
>25 day grace period
>no interest until September 2016
>22.99% after that
>$39 annual fee
>1.5% cash back
Thoughts?
>>
Fuck paying an annual fee. There are lots of other rewards cards with no annual fee. I personally have a chase freedom. I don't know if it's the best but I like it.
>>
I would go for the Quicksilver first (the one without the annual fee and the sign up bonus)
>>
>>1016294

I have this card and don't pay an annual fee...
>>
>>1016294
>he cares about the interest rate on his credit cards
Poorfag poorfagging
>>
>>1016294

"The road to hell is paved with good intentions."

I understand that the thought of starting to build credit is attractive, and so long as you are responsible, "nothing bad can happen."

However, there really is no compelling reason to start down that road, and it can serve as a trap (which is why the average American has thousands in cc debt.)

You said you have a steady job. For how long?

Do you have three to six months worth of living expenses (even upwards of a year depending on circumstances) saved and available for emergencies?
>>
Find something that has 0% interest for a period. Buy something you want and pay it off.
>>
Usaa has a great one made for building credit
>>
Also don't pay any annual fee unless you know the cash back will be greater per your spending habits.
Paying a bank to let you spend money is a bit ridiculous but people do it
>>
>>1016294
The card that Amazon.com offers at checkout is better than this pos.

>any year
>paying an annual fee for a credit card
You dun goof'd mang.

Your credit card should pay paying YOU. That's it. No holding a balance, NO fees. Just minuscule cash back. That's it.
>>
>>1016294
Why would you pay them an annual fee to make them swiping and transaction fees?
>>
>>1016614
So long as his first year fee was waived he can ride fee waivers so long as he threatens to cancel the card.
>>
>>1016917
Cap One doesn't care if you threaten to cancel your card. Trust me. They don't give a shit about their customers.
>>
>>1017021
Hmm fair enough i've never had a card with a fee with them so I just applied experience with amex/chase to them.
>>
>>1016549
Care to name a one or two with no annual fee?
This one looks decent from USAA
>https://www.usaa.com/inet/pages/bank_cc_secured_card_american_express

The limit on the Capitol One Quicksilver is $350. If I spent the limit on the card ($4,200) and payed the balance within the grace period, I could earn $62 cash back per year, more than the annual fee. But that also slows down the credit building process by maxing out the card every month.
>>
I must have a dozen credit cards lying around. If you're not a buffoon there's nothing to fear from them.
I've never understood how someone can spend more than they make in a month and not know its a bad idea.
>>
>>1017479

Do the many lines of credit hurt your credit score?
>>
>>1017485
It's not like I got them all at once. Buying a car hurt my score far worse than any slight dings I got from applying for more credit which the lower utilization more than makes up for anyways.
>>
>>1017485
Well if your applying for one or two every 6-12 months you will lower your average age of accounts, so it does hurt in a way but not by a lot.
But having 10-20 credit cards isn't bad, you do increase you credit limit which will result in lower utilization but desu it's just better having 3-6 credit cards that has 5-10k limit on it
>>
I have a secured credit card through Discover. Free FICO credit score and 5% cash back. APR is standard from what i can tell, and there's no fees to use it.
>>
>>1017618
cash back? i thought secured cards were only for people with extremely shitty credit. i didn't know they offered any cash back
>>
>>1017622
Secured credit cards are for people who want to build credit. Whether you're just starting out, or you stopped mainting it.

The discover card i have is exactly identical to their it card. You'll actually choose what you want when you sign up, rewards or cash back. Only difference is that you have to deposit money, like $200 to use it.

In a year once you've built a history, they'll issue you a legit card and refund your deposit.
>>
>>1017622
I should also mention that if you're just starting to build credit, you won't get accepted for an actual credit card. There's exceptions for students though.
>>
For building credit from scratch:

Start with a secured credit card, which is guaranteed to be accepted via security deposit.
Pay on time for 16 months
Apply for an unsecured card
Keep both accounts open and use both each month using 1% of total available credit (less is more)

Don't bother worrying about cash back rewards or other bullshit. They never amount to anything more than chump change and it's better to spend modestly.
>>
>>1016917
I had a credit card with them that had an annual fee. I tried that and it didn't work.

That said, I did get rid of the card and got one without an annual fee. Funnily enough, it's a Quicksilver, so not sure why OP's is going to charge an annual fee. *shrug*
>>
>>1016294
Nice thing about that quicksilver card is that it gives you unlimited 20% cash back on all uber rides.
>>
>>1016294
>caring about interest rate
>annual fee
Cuck detected

If you wanna build good credit history, pay the balance every month in full and never be late.
>>
>>1016294
What's your credit score? I know you're probably just starting out, but if you have a high score, then you should aim for their regular Quicksilver card or the Citi Double Cash card.

You also might want to try the Discover It card. For the first year they'll double all your rewards (so 10% back on rotating categories and 2% back on everything else). The only downside is that Discover isn't as commonly accepted as Visa or MC.
>>
>>1016294
Plenty of cards with no annual fee.

The interest rate is irrelevant. Pay it off every month. Period.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.