[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So here's the deal: Both of my parents went to Harvard.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2
File: Harvard_Wreath_Logo_1.svg.png (327 KB, 1051x1024) Image search: [Google]
Harvard_Wreath_Logo_1.svg.png
327 KB, 1051x1024
So here's the deal:
Both of my parents went to Harvard.

They insist that I apply, but the undergraduate program lacks a business major. I'm interested in Marketing and getting an MBA, but my only option is to go for some sort of undergraduate thing like sociology, humanities, or social sciences, which is what they suggest.

My argument is that a degree in sociology wouldn't prepare you best for a graduate degree in Business.
My parents' argument is that a degree in something in humanities at Harvard would expose you to the rest of the world of education and culture.

I think I should just major as a business undergraduate at a school that better prepares you for an MBA, but my parents think something more liberal at a school like Harvard is the way to go.

Thoughts?
>>
You're too retarded to go to Harvard.
>>
>>1016246
FUCK
>>
>>1016246
/thread
>>
>>1016233
You're an absolute idiot.

An extremely large part of making it in our society (through anything, but especially business) is socially. Connections and how people perceive your worth and competence are paramount to success, and Harvard - no matter which major you take, even if it's fucking psychology or english lit - gives you this on a silver platter.

You meet people who will work in or start the world's largest institutions and companies.

You gain a degree and become part of something that's internationally recognized to be synonymous with success and intelligence.

You'll also be a legacy, making you even more weighted and powerful both in school and in the future - "Generations of my family have gone to Harvard." - you're not just some fluke. You're part of an important family, too.

Everything about this is positive and will help you along in life. Get a degree in something you're moderately interested in and follow it through, join a few business related clubs or start a small business on your own during your four years, and then transfer to a better graduate program for business.

You're kicking yourself in the ass if you don't try to take this shit, anon.
>>
Major in econ.
>>
>>1016233
You're a moron. You can major in jerking off. It's not about the textbooks, it's the name and network.
>>
>>1016283
Yh pretty much this
>>
>>1016408
This

Most of the things you learn in a business undergraduate program are completely useless anyway. Learning Economics will teach you a way of thinking that will benefit you much more for an MBA than some business theory that is basically common knowledge level shit.
>>
>>1016414
Also join a frat.

And don't be a conservative dick who conveniently forgets all their success is because they've had it way better than poor people.
>>
>>1016434
As a fraternity member I completely and wholeheartedly support this, but Harvard's regular fraternity chapters are worthless. The finals clubs will extend more of the situation you're looking for connection/prestige wise than a fraternity chapter will. Also, who gives a fuck what your undergraduate major at Harvard is, do something you're interested in and you will be able to select any graduate business program in the country.
>>
>>1016283
this
>Get a degree
>Do a finance internship in sophmore summer
> Get a BB I-banking internship in junior summer
>Work 2 years
>MBA
>???
>Profit
>>
double legacy and you aren't applying? are you serious?
>>
>>1016233
Former co-chair of Goldman Sachs has an undergraduate degree in English Lit from Dartmouth. Then he got a Harvard MBA. Profit!

pic related
>>
>>1016233
If you want to go to a hedge fund you pretty much HAVE to have a math degree because you'll need a quant Ph.D.
>>
>>1016434
>he blames his financial failure on his parent's wealth
>>
>>1016233
Do Econ you dumb fuck
>>
>>1016434
>frat
That's fraternity to you, you fucking geed.
>>
>>1016233
Economics or you're a faggot
>>
>>1016233
There are three paths to success:

1. You tough it through. You finished High School and now you're out. Immediately you go to work and pick up as many skills, preferably licensed, and might down the line consider university. In the mean time you occupy yourself with business, real business breaking balls and pushing product. You will teach yourself accounting and know how to make a pitch all I'm the same breath. Life will be hell, the hours will be longs, but you'll most likely be financially independent.

2. You go into a STEM field and then apply to grad school. There will be few, scratch that, no parties. Your life will revolve around Laplace transforms and thermodynamics. Eventually, however, you will graduate and be in a position to jump in to the cutting edge of a field, and have a variety of talented contacts on the side.

3. You go to Harvard and major in sociology or some shit like that. You will go to frat parties and get fucked up. You will get laid. You will be forced to attend the lectures of old communists who should be hitting the grave any time soon, but are being mysteriously held together by the black forces of vegan ism. If you are smart, you will exploit these people and make them your contacts. Most of them are weak. There's a reason they didn't go to MIT, Columbia, Stanford, or even something like a mid range STEM focused school.
>>
There is no degree more worthless than an undergraduate marketing degree. It's a psychology degree for people that aren't able to pass science classes.

I would hire an ethnomusicology or Sanskrit major before I ever hired a marketing major.

You're a retard for thinking you need to prepare for an MBA. There was a professional rugby player in my MBA class.
>>
>>1016246
HA! FAGGOT!
>>
>>1016233

Jesus christ. youre getting to go to Harvard easily. There are many people who will literally kill to get in you ingrate.

You can do an MBA later in life, focus on econ or maths to get an ez job in Wall Street.
>>
>>1016610
Harvard is an extremely good STEM school. Their engineering and math classes are excellent and many graduate students from MIT often sit in for their classes.
>>
>>1017007
harvard engineering is not very good, however you can take courses at MIT for engineering as a harvard student (MIT engineering ranked number 1 most places)
>>
>>1016233
You should apply to Harvard, assuming you have the grades/scores/extracurrics.

If you do, you should also apply to other schools with formidable business programs (UPenn, Carnegie Mellon, USC) and see if any of those offer you more long term benefits for grad school.

In the end, it's your choice, not your parents
>>
Go to Harvard. Don't forget me when you're banging some rich girls asshole and realize how lucky you are. Then make sure to cum all in it, get on the ground, and let her push it out of that ass into you, and you better god damn swallow it.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.