[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Minimum Wage General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 3
File: barnes-and-noble-storefront.jpg (92 KB, 768x512) Image search: [Google]
barnes-and-noble-storefront.jpg
92 KB, 768x512
So tired of working six days a week for $150 edition.

Since the possibility of finishing my degree slips further and further away, I'm currently stuck at my minimum wage job. It wouldn't even be so bad if employers actually gave you hours as requested, I suppose. I went from 57 hours a week spread over 5-6 dyas to 29 hours spread over six days. Given my commute, that's six hours a week of just burning gas to get there and go home. The new management loves spreading hour small hour-amounts over the entire week and it's pissing me off.

Anyway /blog, min-wagecucks welcome. Fuck does welfare seem appealing at this point.

Still applying after every rejection notice to pic related.
>>
>>1015760
I feel very little sympathy for anyone working minimum wage, it's so easy to leave just don't be such a vagine and take control over your life.
>>
>>1015764
It's not though? I'm still dealing with the identity theft thing from some threads ago and trying to pay off 8 grand of debt I didn't know about until like two weeks ago.
>>
>>1015760
First off there should be no min wage.
Who do you think pays for your wage? The customers
If your wage goes up the price of goods go up. That means you in the end pay more and you're in the same spot.

Min wage = 15 year old high schooler

have you been saving any of your min wage?
>>
>>1015768
Yeah, I've got about $500 saved since I started working. I'd had a good deal more, but I didn't learn I wasn't going back to college until after I'd purchased stuff for school.
>>
>>1015772
I've been working apprixmately 3-4 months, I should mention.
>>
>>1015760
I'm 19 and make $150 a day.

HAHAHAHAHAHA
>>
>>1015772
I'd recommend you quit school and pay off that debt first. Get a second job and make more money, move closer so you stop wasting money on gas and your vehicle. Focus on never being in your situation again.
>>
>>1015786
I can't enroll until the debt is paid off anyway.
I unfortunately cannot move closer; the cost or rent anywhere nearer my place of work is unaffordable.
I am applying for a second job.
I didn't intend to ever be in this situation; my finances were meddled with by external forces.
>>
>>1015790
You can't rent a room near work? Of you can, you're not looking hard enough.

Everyone has random bullshit that happens. That's life. Expect that it's going to keep happening and prepare for them. What if you lost your job?

I got hit with a $1200 tax bill right before Christmas. But i save money I make for shit like this.
>>
File: image.jpg (439 KB, 1230x862) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
439 KB, 1230x862
Man that sucks I feel for you. You should stand up to the people above you and ask for more shifts. It'll only get worse pal.
>>
>>1015780
What do you do?
>>
>>1015860
No, I cannot. IT's not a matter of "looking hard enough", it's a matter of single-room rent being $550 at the cheapest and having found no available multi-room setups with people willing to rent with me.

I can't just have a negative income because someone thinks I should live closer to work

> What if you lost your job?

I'd be SOL quite honestly. Nothing I can do about that; I'm out of my element enough trying to fix my finances and get my credit history fixed without getting either of my parents into serious legal trouble.
>>
>>1015760

I think both of the jobs that paid less than $12 an hour I worked at were more STRESSFUL than the jobs that paid more.
>>
>>1015872
It's the fact you're at the wage-floor, man.
Like, I can get in and bust my ass all day every day and it won't see me a penny more than the person that chills on their phone until close and leaves without doing any closing procedure.

So then you're wondering are you just not working hard enough? Or is it just a shit job?

People have this assumption that being in a job like that is because you don't want to work, but that isn't always the case. I just don't have the opportunity to work anywhere else. I was doing fine in school, but identity theft and deception on my parents' end has fucked me out of returning in the forseeable future, and no place that anyone considers "hard work" wants me without some years of either college experience or training elsewhere, which I can't get my foot through the door in.

So you end up working a shit job where everyone thinks you're lazy because you can't find a way to get a job where your efforts actually have scaling reward.
>>
>>1015884

I'm just trying to find something I enjoy.

Still 25, you know?
>>
>mfw trustfund baby
>>
>>1015890
My cousin is a trustfund baby. Dude lives the cozy life.
>>
>>1015890

Based, brother.
>>
>>1015871
>without getting either of my patents into serious legal trouble
Wasn't it them that stole your identity in the first place? Or am I thinking of some other anon
>>
>>1015896
No that's me.i can't just fuck them over and leave my younger sibling in an even worse position.
>>
>>1015764

> It's their fault they are being taken advantage of

YEAH! Just like the slaves. In many cases they outnumbered the slaveholders. They should have banded together and taken control over their lives. I have no sympathy for the slaves.

I have no sympathy for murder victims either. It's so easy to carry a gun and take control over their lives.
>>
>>1015766
You need to report the fraud to the cops and the credit card company. That is not your debt and you are not responsible for it.

>>1015871
>I'm out of my element enough trying to fix my finances and get my credit history fixed without getting either of my parents into serious legal trouble.

Screw them. They stole from you. I had to convince my mom to throw her oxy addict cousin under the bus for stealing her checks. I like to think her 4 year old learned a lesson after seeing his mom get taken away in handcuffs.

>>1015884
> no place that anyone considers "hard work" wants me without some years of either college experience or training elsewhere, which I can't get my foot through the door in.

Construction. The most labor jobs will ask for is clean piss. The work will be hard, in the cold, in the heat, for long hours with shitty co-workers. It beats the hell of being yelled at by customers with no recourse for little pay.
>>
>>1015918

I would take the logical step beyond construction and aim for a semi-skilled to skilled trade.

You still have to work hard and twenty plus years of it will leave you aching, but even carpenters basically don't want for work if they're fine with traveling at least a little.
>>
>>1015764
It's a tough cycle to break. Sure, he could leave and get better hours at another minimum wage job but he'll still have the same basic cost of living meaning even if he is /frugal/ he won't be able to save the money to start his own company.

OP you're best bet is to try to get a promotion and continue to live frugally.
>>
>>1015760

Stop working shit tier retail.

Get literally Any other job. You'll build skills and become a more valuable worker.
>>
>>1015936
>I would take the logical step beyond construction and aim for a semi-skilled to skilled trade.

Which takes schooling which OP cannot afford to do right now. Apprenticeships would be nice, but I doubt any of OP's family are in unions.
>>
>>1015872
That's been my experience as well. I don't even consider anything under $12 to be a liveable wage either. If someone tells me that they're making $10/hr then that is still minimum wage to me.
>>
>>1015992

He could always look into it.

One good thing about working in construction. You meet people who generally know other construction workers and craftsmen.

Sure, it's hard work and there's no guarantee, but he might be able to find his way up from there through connections or just save up enough money to get into a trade.

Some Careerlinks advertise trade apprenticeships as a service to prevent unemployment, so they're not a terrible place to start when money balances out.
>>
>>1016010

And people want to fucking raise minimum wage to ten bucks but my wage ain't going to go up.

I mean, I get it, this job ain't a fucking end game, but until I get into DCNR or some other shit that's more careerish I'd like my wage to actually be worth something.
>>
>>1015992
None are.
>>1016015
I'll look into it nonetheless.
>>1015978
I've been applying in like 50 application bursts, and even when I go out to meet management and dress professionally, they take down my name and number, say they'll give me a call soon, and never do.
>>1015918
I'll look for construction. I'm just going to go the whole nine yards with the police report; they way my extended family has been acting is pissing me off regarding going back to school.
>>
>>1016540
Construction is hard on the body and mind. Are you in a right to work state? Also, if you're in a state like me, Ohio, winters get pretty bad. Image being up 10+ stories in a building with no walls in January when its snowing and single digits.

The people you will meet are interesting to say the least. Some are good people but the majority are just dumb asses that needed a job.

The pay isn't bad once you're beyond your first couple of years. Be ready to save money though because you will get laid off regularly.
>>
>>1016540
>>1016570
A lot of manual labor jobs pay pretty well though, not just construction. A friend of mine, for example, makes $15/hr at a steel mill. I make $13/hr at a shipping company plus full benefits and generally as many hours as I want.
>>
>>1016576

Steel Mills are union gigs, though, and the risk of injury or mortality is generally pretty real there.

Not that you can't die anywhere, but it should be said.
>>
>>1016570
>>1016576
>>1016635
I suppose it wouldn't pay if it were cushy, haha.
I'm hoping to only be there for as long as it takes to get back into school.
>>
>>1015912
I'm not memeing but with no portfolio, no experience and being a student, I started freelancing and immediately started making $500/week. I read a single book on marketing, and started writing ads for small businesses right away. It's not hard.
>>
>>1017116
I just got back from the police station and things got put in motion back home pretty quickly.
>>
>>1015906
What's the terrible position your sibling is in currently and how could it get worse? Also, how old is your sibling?

Either way you look at it you do not want to be paying for your parents' mistakes. This debt and any present or future delinquency on that account will follow you forever and will have a very real impact on any loans or lines of credit you attempt to achieve in the future. Moreover, if you can't get a loan for your education you're unmarketable as a worker because you have no proven qualifications. If I were you I would report them as it is not your debt to pay, wait till your younger sibling can get the fuck out of there and take him/her under your wing.
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.