[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Accounting dropouts general
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: pepe-the-frog-meme-10.jpg (39 KB, 438x438) Image search: [Google]
pepe-the-frog-meme-10.jpg
39 KB, 438x438
This thread is dedicated to accounting droupouts.

1-Why did you choose accounting in the first place

2-How long did you study it

3-What were your goals

4-Why did you dropout
>>
>>1015287
I didn't do accounting in college (Econ), but got a job as a trainee accountant after that. I'm in Northern Ireland, so you don't have to do accounting in college to become an accountant.

1. Steady job
2. 6 months
3. Didn't even think about it, really, just wanted a lot of money, a steady job, and not to have to work very hard
4. The dullness and pointlessness of the work, the cubicle, and the fact that they occasionally expect you to work 12 hour days and weekends coming up to deadlines, made me have an existential crisis.
>>
I was burnt out for a while, but it all paid off - don't give up.

Majored in accounting/passed CPA, endured a few years at Big 4, transitioned to controller position at well-funded early stage tech co, and now just recently started my own consulting firm providing transaction advisory services to private equity firms engaged in M&A. Annualized I'm on track to pull 315k NI my first year solo.

Always keep your eyes peeled for ways to apply your technical accounting background to finance. Also, consider MBA if you're still young, MBA/CPA combo is extremely powerful
>>
What the fuck do you even do as an accountant? I did 2 years of it and got offered a job to do some accounting for a small business but I don't even understand what i'd be doing. It's just tracking transactions, inventory and sales and then putting it all together right? How is this a thing that takes more than a few hours for a small company? Like if the company I work for only does about 4-5 million in service revenue a year how is that even difficult to do, I could just get away with doing monthly income statements and balance sheets and then using that data to gauge where to go. Am I missing something or is it really just that and then expanding on accounts and making it clearer for stakeholds/investors.
>>
>>1015398
Why didn't you take the offer?
>>
>>1015381
If my GPA is total shit because I fail at the whole school thing but I'm amazing at the actual work involved, do I stand a chance? My GPA kept me from getting an internship this coming summer so I'll be that senior who didn't get an internship. Alcoholism in my early 20s ruined my short-term and mid-term memory and long-term is shaky at times so I just bomb tests, but do fantastic on projects and researching.
>>
>>1016472
I can still take the job, I have to wait till this semester is over. It'd be a 1-2 year work term though and that'd mean missing lots of school. I just don't know what the fuck i'd be doing.
>>
>family history of cpas
>fell for the accounting meme
>decided to switch major to statistics so that I wouldn't have to spend all my college life studying
>>
>>1017001
Meme? It's like a guaranteed job in a shit job market. I switched to finance and have regretted it ever since. Even the average students make over 50k in low cost of living Texas.
>>
>>1017001
>falling for the stats meme
stats is useless with no real skills backing it up, learn excel, sql and basic. it is also very abstract once you get beyond babby's first stats courses. There is no reason to learn multivariate stochastic processes if you want to work in data science or business analytics.
>>
I work for a small building materials wholesale/retail company and all the accountant does is make sure the transactions match up, tracks outstanding invoices and missing inventory.

He's useful, but not worth anything more than $60k per year.
>>
I'm an elctrical engineering major considering changing their major to accounting. Should I or shouldn't I
>>
>>1018008
Why not both? My friend once told me that an engineer can do an accounts job but an accountant can't do an engineers job.
>>
>>1017980

That's a bookkeeper. CPAs would have no interest in that
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.