[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Requesting advice from older anons (I'm 22) well-versed
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 1
File: kju20141011228705.jpg (38 KB, 620x372) Image search: [Google]
kju20141011228705.jpg
38 KB, 620x372
Requesting advice from older anons (I'm 22) well-versed in economics, international politics, business, etc.

I'm going back to school while working full time. Is it a better idea for me to get a degree in law or mechanical engineering? I don't love or hate either of them. I just want to get a qualification in something that's gonna put me in a more secure position and enhance my options in general.
>>
I'm 22 myself but law is worse than women's studies for job opportunities. You are fucked unless you go to a super top law school.
>>
>>1014073

The uni I would be applying to would be the top one in my country, but regardless I think that is a good point. I'm hearing a lot about functions of lawyers being replaced by software too.
>>
>>1014066
Why those 2 options?
>>
>>1014083

I'm open to suggestions but those two are the most interesting to me at the moment. I guess there's also finance, business and all of that.
>>
>>1014066
I'm 21, I have a BS degree in Economics, and I am a data analyst. I didn't start off as a data analyst. I was actually in a position where I facilitated the buyback of poorly performing loans and was able to get promoted to the position I currently have. Here's what I have found in my brief time in college and in the professional world.

Don't just pick general business if you're going for a "busness-y" degree. Narrow it down. Pick finance, economics, accounting, anything but just general business. Also I don't think marketing is held in that high of an esteem either but I could be wrong.

If you don't want to go the business route, I think engineering is your safest bet. the only real advice I can give you is just fucking try. So many people don't try, it's fucking ridiculous. The bar for people our age is so low right now because people just expect us to suck. It is both a blessing and a curse. You will have to prove yourself but when you do prove yourself, people will be really, really impressed.

Sorry I can't give better advice right now. I'm drunk. Good luck anon.
>>
>>1014104

Thanks mate.
>>
>>1014087
Fair enough. For me it was about committing to something. Ill spare you the story and just say I finished my degree at 27 in computer science. I waffled around under the "you can do anything you put your mind to" mindset for a while. Once I decided "ok, I'm going to learn programming, im a comp Sci major" then it became easier to follow through and get it done.

And trust me I failed some and barely passed some. But I just kept the goal in mind and stayed commited to making it part of my identity. So my advice is to pick something that you kind of like and have a decent head for and go all in.
>>
>>1014066
>well-versed in economics, international politics, business, etc

Going on /biz/, /int/ and /pol/ doesn't count as "Economics", "Business" and "International Politics". Lmao.
>>
>>1014352

Nobody claimed that chan boards are synonymous with academic disciplines, fuckwit.
>>
>>1014066
>mech eng
>get into 3d printing

you're done
>>
>>1014104
I say Econ is still shittier unless you go to a good uni. Statistics is one of the most underrated and versatile majors since you can work as a consultant, strategic analyst, or data engineer.
>>
>>1014066
>Is it a better idea for me to get a degree in law or mechanical engineering?

Law degree is a graduate degree.

Mechanical engineering is an undergrad degree (alhough there are grad courses for advanced ME).

Get an ME undergrad degree, and then decide if you want a law degree.

It can help - there are patent and lawsuits and shit that manufacturing companies do against one another. Imagine Intel sues another chip-maker over infringing their patent. Someone who has some understanding of semiconductor fabs would be useful.
>>
>>1014420
Stats is pretty underrated. The thing about Econ is that there are ways to tailor it to being more competitive. If you take more stats and math classes, and try to get yourself in some econometrics classes, you will be pretty competitive. If you instead opt to get a BA and shy away from anything difficult, then yeah it's a shitty degree and you're not going to have any practical experience when you get done. On top of that, you're not going to be very competitive for grad school if that's your desire.

I'm pretty happy with my econ degree. I didn't even go to that great of a school but I still had a job lined up before I even graduated.
>>
>>1014421

>Law degree is a graduate degree, mechanical engineering is an undergrad degree

Not quite. The uni I'm at, along with many others, offers both undergrad and graduate degrees in both fields. I'm actually going back to study after having already done undergrad (BA in philosophy and linguistics, yeah, I know I done goofed). I'm working full-time and could effectively self-fund further study in any field I want, it's just a matter of getting some insight into what the smartest move at this point would be.

>>1014916

To be honest I'm considering just pursuing math and stats now.
>>
>>1014104
This.

Engineering is the hardest major you can go through. Washout rate is 50% in the first year. You don't use much of what you lean in school, but you learn how to learn.

Mech E by far is the best engineering degree in terms of flexibility.
>>
>>1015121

Any significant downsides to electrical engineering as opposed to mechanical?
>>
>>1014066
Hi Anon, while I am younger (21) I can give you some insight into the endeavors of pursuing a MechE degree. I am a junior Mech E right now. Engineering is hard, as I am sure you are well aware. This usually means you have to be genuinely interested in learning mechanical engineering topics if your going to survive the weed out courses. A significant chunk of the undergrad class in the engineering program switch majors by sophomore year and even more by junior year at my university. And many of those weed outs were in it just to get a good job once they graduated.

That being said it is very rewarding, while most students are unlikely to use anything they learned theoretically (Fluids, heat transfer, thermodynamics, controls, etc.), you are trained to be a universal problem solver and a universal learner. I may be bias but I firmly believe that mechanical engineering is the far superior major to other engineering sections simply because its so broad. (Of course this is also a draw back). All I can say is if your are pursuing and engineering degree, make sure you're serious or else you'll be wasting your time.
>>
>>1014066
I have an honors in econ and its alright but if I could go back I'd hands down do engineering it just opens up so many note opportunities all the best jobs in business you can do with an eng degree bit to mention the entire field of engineerong .

Law is a meme degree totally not worth the money or time

It'd be worth looking into stats and data science they are versitile and have good positions as well not to mention they are very well paid
>>
mechanical engineering.

Currently there's no market for lawyers. Current lawyers even advise not to get a law degree because its so fucking tough to work in the field. Plus your pay is based on the number of clients you gain which doesn't exactly promote job security. Engineering on the other hand is well sought after, pays more, and provides job security. I'd pick engineering.

The problem it's going to be harder work in school, but the long-term is so worth it.
>>
>>1014066
I've got news for you. If you're 22 you're not as well versed in those subjects as you think you are.
>>
>>1015169

>Requesting advice from older anons well-versed in economics, international politics, business, etc
>(I'm 22)

I've got news for you. You're not as literate as you think you are.
>>
>>1015169
>>1015181
Also
>I'm not well versed in anything at the age of 22 so no one else can be.
Plebeian logic
>>
>>1015140
I agree with most of what this anon said, but I'd also like to add that having an me degree doesn't automatically guarantee you having a job right out of college. You have to do internships while in school (this will most likely prolong your schooling), and you will probably have to take a mediocre starting job when you graduate because, let's face it, you won't really know anything enough to say you have a career.

That's been my experience anyway. While it's nice that you have a degree in linguistics and whatnot, most companies will look at you an say, "well, he's well rounded, and that's good," but it's not like they will be like, "omg guys, this guy is well versed in international business, let's make him a director!" As an engineer you don't deal with finance much, they have separate departments who do that; and any type of politics you do will be inter-company politics.

My point is that, while it's good to have this background, you will have to grind a lot if you want to succeed. It's better to pursue business and math.
>>
>>1015218
>>1015073

Thanks for the tip, but like I said I'm currently working full time (menial pleb job but it pays the bills) so the grind is no problem. If anything what attracts me about engineering is that the grind is more 'real' and productive than in business or finance or law, where returns often come more from bullshitting people than producing quality (as far as I can tell)
>>
>>1015137
nope, the math for ee is a different type
>>
>>1014104
Damnit. I picked a more general business program called Innovation & Entrepreneurship. I'm about one semester away from graduating. Feeling pretty vague about what I want to/could do. Glad you claim the bar is low. Although I'm 3 years older than you and not even done with my degree yet. One semester left, next fall. I left early last winter after dealing with several deaths. I still need a damn internship to graduate as well, hopefully i'll get some real experience I can put on my resume.
>>
>>1015186
You'll realize why we're saying what we're saying when you get a bit older.
>>
>>1015140
>>1015218
>>1015222

Recent 21yo Mech/Aerospace Engineering grad here and can confirm what these people are saying. OP, you're going to have to work hard to be guaranteed a job in engineering once you graduate. You will also need to really show a passion for what you do. If you are just doing engineering because of job prospects or salary, do NOT do it. You will hate every minute of it and will most likely drop out after first year. You do engineering because you like learning how things work and building/designing new products.

I agree in saying that mechanical gives you the broadest range of job opportunities, ranging anywhere from cars/boats/aircraft, to wind analysis on buildings/towns, vibrations of musical instruments, and even things like storm water drainage and air conditioning. Literally everything uses mechanical engineers to some extent.

I'll also add that engineers have a huge range in job prospects and aren't funnelled into one specific role. You can head the managerial route or the technical route if you're a math guy like myself. You can also land jobs in fields not even relevant to engineering because of the problem solving skills you gain. From the OP I would go for mech eng, but I would also warn you in really contemplating if you're serious about it. It's not easy.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.