[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Okay /biz/ I am here today to ask a question about what graduation
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1
File: hqdefault.jpg (41 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
41 KB, 480x360
Okay /biz/ I am here today to ask a question about what graduation should I get, would you lend me an ear?
I’m in doubt between economics and business; so here is my story:

>I am from Brazil (Yeah I know pretty shitty, but I gotta deal with that)

>Went to a vocational high school, studied informatics there, not sure about the equivalent term in English, best I could find was Information Systems Technician

>Knows programming, familiar with Python, Java ,C#, SQL, general Office Stuff like Excel and Access, Web developing(like HTTP, CSS, a bit of JavaScript and the cancerous PHP )

>Last Year I took universities entrance exams, passed on the “best” university of the country (well the term best may be debatable, however it is the most renowned, and public)

>Here in Brazil you have to choose your career before you take the entrance exam, so you are accepted to a specific graduation course of the university, however to compensate for this you usually can choose another course as a secondary option. If you don’t get a good enough result to pass in your first option you may still be accepted in your second option.

>So, my first option was economics and second was business, my results were not good enough for economics, but sufficient to be accepted in business

>There is the possibility of transferring to the economics course of the same university, but I wonder if I should, it is said that it is quite easy to find a job with a bachelor in business, the job offer is said to be the same while the business course is said to be a bit easier to conclude

>Wanted to try my hand at the stock market in the future

So my basic question is, should I finish my business course or change to an economics course?
>>
I think Economics is better... If you want to make a lot of money and become someone in a position of power in a company or in government. Economics is what most of the most successful people in the world studied. The only thing is, you have to do further study in Economics. You have to do a Masters at least, and most likely a PhD eventually to get to the top.

I'm planning on doing Economics in University, and then going to Law School, because if I don't get into a good Law School I still have the option of going into an Economics Masters or PhD.
>>
>>1013653
Thanks for your opinion anon, it is quite reassuring listening to someone that is not simply focusing on the short term.
I’m personally more inclined to economics because it was my first option, understanding the market, the factors that may cause fluctuations looked like a wonderful thing to me, but then the business course didn’t look too bad.
People around me started saying that it is easier to get a job with a business degree, that doing economics wouldn’t really be much of an improvement, and perhaps become a waste of time by being hard to study.
The great problem is that I heard lots of opinions that favored business and the ones that favored economics where scarce.
>>
>>1013717

In Canada where I'm from, a business degree gets you no where, unless you went to a top school or had REALLY good connections.

Since you're in Brazil, I doubt you have access to that many good connections, or even useful connections. If you want to leave Brazil and go to the US, or Canada, or EU, Economics will definitely be better. A Business degree is seen equal to a Social Science degree here in first world developed countries. If you just want to live in Brazil forever, I guess a Business degree is better than nothing.
>>
Hueheueu, unless You live in RJ, SP or DF, you will be probably unemployed if you choose economics.
Most of people who have graduated just wasted at least 4 years at college and now are trying to get any public servant job
>>
>>1013653

>PHD

not unless you want to teach econ or spend your life in a library doing research.

Econ>Biz in general, the difference is that you'll take a bunch of accounting and biz ethics instead of useful shit like resource econ and industrial development which is what they need over there

think about it this way - you can always hire an accountant, but nobody can think for you when you're trying to figure out your niche

but seriously don't do a PHD unless you want to get your first real job at 30 after being a student for 10 years

>inb4 i get paid to be phd student

not as much as you'll get paid doing literally anything other than being a professor's slave

Source: someone who turned down a fully funded PHD offer for a civil service job where i can play around side ventures
>>
>>1013724
Similar to australia

You are going to need to get a job with nepotism, or do a double degree so that you are deemed worthy by big business at a 'good' or above university
>>
>>1013724
>>1013806
Good to know how it is seen worldwide, usually it is not viewed as a great thing in Brazil neither, usually you gotta do some specialization courses so that you can distinguish yourself
>>1013743
Yeah, I’m from SP, I’m aware of that fact, I even have a friend that went to PR to take an economics course what I viewed as an odd thing because of that
>>
>>1013744
Wow that is quite a way to put it, taking 4 years of classes that will not teach you what you truly need is really something to consider.

Just out of curiosity, but what is your opinion about getting a master's degree?
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.