[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Credit Cards
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1
File: 1450204269514.jpg (18 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
1450204269514.jpg
18 KB, 300x300
What's /biz/ opinion on credit cards? I'm 19 and know absolutely nothing about this stuff. From what I hear it's a smart idea to build credit because it helps a lot in the future. There is something around 400$ that I want, I could easily wait and save up for it every paycheck but then it came to me that I could use this to start building credit. Is this a bad idea? My dad pleads to me that credit is a bad thing and still won't need it later on in life but figure I could use some second opinions.
>>
It's a good idea for smart people

Bad idea for fucking idiots
>>
Save up for it and buy it in cash. You don't want to be building the habit and buying things with credit. Form good savings habits and you will be grateful.
>>
>>1013643
Well yeah, save up for it and THEN buy it with credit. You shouldn't buy things you can't afford.
>>
>>1013617
You'll definitely want one because it's necessary to build credit. It may come in handy one day in the future, but you want to start now because a big part of it is how long you've had credit accounts open. This can affect your ability to get mortgages, car loans, private loans, computer for school, business loan, etc. I got my credit card at 18 and when I went for loans at 21 I'd get declined because I didn't have enough credit history. Had I started earlier I would have and my dreams wouldn't have just been memes.

Pro tip: Always treat credit as borrowed money, never as your own. As far as credit cards are concerned, don't buy anything until you've got the money saved up. Example, if you want to buy that $400 something, don't buy it until you have those $400 of your own money to pay off the credit card.

There's some more shit about how your credit score is calculated but you can find that on creditkarma.com or whatever.
>>
CREDIT CARD COMPANIES HATE HIM!

LEARN HOW HE AVOIDED PAYING INTEREST WITH THIS ONE SIMPLE TRICK!

[spoiler]Pay the debt in full the first month.[/spoiler]
>>
>>1013654
Question: if you buy the thing for $400 using credit won't the bill be like $410 because of tax or
>>
>>1013654
>I got my credit card at 18 and when I went for loans at 21 I'd get declined because I didn't have enough credit history

How would you have started earlier than 18? Do you mean you were 2 months away from being 19?
>>
>>1013617
Credit is amazing. Your dad is an idiot
>>
>>1013727
This might be the dumbest post on the front page.
>>
>>1013761
He's asking what the tax on the bill is at the end of the month. No need to be an asshole.
>>
>>1013727
Obviously, using credit does not get rid of taxes. Assume you spent x amount of money including taxes, you better have x amount of money to pay it back. As for interest, you get that added on if you don't pay your balance in full at the end of the month. Say you bought the $400 thing and paid off $200. You have $200 left as your balance that you have to pay and interest gets applied to that. If you pay off the $400 immediately, no interest gets added.
>>
>>1013739
I didn't get an actual job until I was 18. Before 18 I used to work as a makeshift mechanic out of my garage and the money I made was unreported. However, you can't get credit using that source of income. My parents have always had shitty credit so they couldn't have cosigned. If I was smart I would have gotten a taxable job so I could get credit, and then continue being a makeshift mechanic at 16. If I had parents who had decent credit I would have had them cosign.
>>
>>1013775
Also, never name your child after yourself. In case you have shitty credit it will affect them later on and they'll have to dispute shit with creditors all the time.
>>
>>1013776
Uh oh. I literally have the exact same name as my dad.
>>
>>1013784
Yeah, it's not too problematic. Sign up for monthly credit reports to see and make sure. Changes in that credit score won't match FICO scores, which is what matters but they do match direction. Make sure you use a different mailing address as your father too, like a PO box or something. That should take care of most issues.
>>
>>1013758
The offers are too damn good to pass up if you can in full every month. In the last 6 months I got $110 cash back after spending a bit over $1000.

>$100 cash back for spending $500 in the first 3 months
>new tires and my normal spending was $1000 in 2 months
>>
>>1013617
If you can not afford it, do not buy it.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.