[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Thoughts on/experiences with the Schulich School of Business ?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 4
File: wh0kRq_F.png (32 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
wh0kRq_F.png
32 KB, 400x400
Thoughts on/experiences with the Schulich School of Business ?
>>
Top 3/4 tied with Laurier, Queens, IVEY top 1/2.

It's a good school, go if you get in, their iBBA is very interesting, a few of my friends went, you'd love it.
>>
>>1013025
>Top 3/4 tied with Laurier, Queens, IVEY top 1/2.

When did Laurier get that good? The more I read about their BBA program the more I think it's underrated.
>>
>>1013030

Laurier has always been good but everyone brushed it off, but since it's been partnering with Waterloo on many programs offered, it's been getting more well known internationally.

Schulich's BBA is great, but their iBBA is what really shines. You get to go on these amazing months long excursions to Taiwan, Malaysia, Singapore, and meet all of these top executives, pitch them business ideas, and eat lunch with them, as well as see all of these great places. If you're one of those people, like most people in Canada, you've probably never travelled out of Ontario, let alone to the US border. So, it's something like, getting to travel the world, while learning business in many different countries, and applying that same knowledge here, in Canada.

I'm pretty sure Laurier also offers an International program, might be wrong though and it might be with Waterloo, but Schulichs international program is unbeatable to tell you the truth, they are so well known in Malaysia and Singapore, arguably the business hub of South East Asia.

Check out some pictures some of the iBBA grads posted on their Facebooks and Twitters and I'd bet theres some YouTube videos about it, there's a lot of things you get, that you won't get in a classroom no matter where you go.
>>
>>1013036
Interesting. I'm not OP but I was considering Laurier, can you give me any more information about it?

I've heard the coop program is pretty great if you get in, seems to be preferential just for that reason alone compared to most, at least debt-wise.
>>
>>1013041

Fuck not having debt, if you don't have debt in this day and age, you're not doing it right and you're not using all the vast resources available to you. Do you have any idea how cheap money is to buy right now? You're paying pennies in interest. Don't even worry about debt, go where you want to go, and where you believe you'll like. Debt is not something to be worried about right now, what you should be worried about is how much leverage you have to make yourself rich.

You can go to Laurier, have little debt, with a great COOP, but you come out looking for a job, and chances are, your job is gone before they even advertise it on your job website in school, because a Queens or IVEY grad has already been promised that position, and they're only advertising it because it's in their best interest to make it seem like others have a chance. The only way to really make it in B-School is to do as much as you can, outside of school. This means getting involved in Politics, which is one of the easiest ways to get hired, perhaps running as a candidate in your riding even. You could also start a charity, help a charity, fundraise for multiple charities. The whole idea of COOP is to get you experience, but that was fine in 2008 - 2013, nowadays, most companies want the most well known people. If you look on job sites, they don't even care nowadays about what degree you have, as long as you have the skills to do what you need to do. These days, the most important skill is knowledge, and how to get it. If you can demonstrate you used to be on the school basketball team, you where on QLEAD at Queens, you were a candidate in your riding, you've been to Africa and helped build schools for the poor, or you've fundraised money for clean water and sanitation in Kenya, you will get a job, over someone that just went to a school, and got good grades, did not ever venture outside their campus, or get involved in anything else, like a lot of students do now.
>>
>>1013043

The goal isn't to go to a school, to save money, the goal is to go to a school, which will expose you to money. Have you driven to Laurier? The university plaza nearby, cheap food, nothing of value. The city of Kitchener/Waterloo isn't near the university, all you have is BlackBerry, which lets face it, has no money. You go to a school with prospects, prospects who have money. That's why, I always recommend Schulich, or Queens, or IVEY more than Laurier. The fact of the matter is, those schools have more exposure, they are more well known, they have money. Schools like Laurier, are brand new, no-name right now, but they are "getting" there. Why go to new money, when you can go to old money? Old money is always preferable.

Now for information I have on Laurier specifically, 2 of my friends are there doing the double degree with Waterloo in Computer Science and Math I think one of them is doing. 3 are doing Lauriers BBA, and so far, they enjoy it, but these 3 have known eachother since they were 5, they party a lot, know almost everyone from the 5 high schools in my city, and they went to a different school every single year, so you could say, they're 'popular'. One of them is working at SunLife for his COOP, and he's earning $36/hour. Why? Because the person who got him that job, was at the VELD music festival, and they met there. Another friend is at RBC Bank, working for his COOP, he's on track to become a Financial Analyst there, and he's earning $32/hour. He got hired, because one of his friends Mom's works in HR, and was able to get him a spot in the interviews, and since this guy is very chatty, he was able to get the job. A third guy hasn't done his COOP yet, he's a year younger than us, but his Dad works for Oracle, a Software Engineer with them, and he will probably end up working at Oracle, in their Finance department, because his Dad is one of the top executives at Oracle in Toronto.
>>
>>1013030
These ratings are arbitrary nonsense. The fact that people who are supposedly intelligent in these programs don't understand this sort of goes to show how pitiful our education systems are.
>>
>>1013052

Don't worry about what it costs, just go and do it, if you get into Queens or IVEY, are you going to give that up, for Laurier, which is not a T1 school, just because you're saving $40k? That's one of the dumbest things you can do, because unless you're literally OUTSTANDING in your out of class achievements, you're not going to get hired over one of the people that went to those schools, where they are almost 95% guaranteed one of the best jobs they can get. You have to differentiate yourself, but at a worse (cheaper, less known, whatever you want to call it), you have to REALLY differentiate yourself, or you will not get anywhere.
>>
>>1013043
>>1013052
>>1013056
Their co-op's are not half bad though... What about people who didn't get hooked up by their parents?

Anyway I don't think I have even the slightest chance of getting into Ivey or Queen's, I'd probably be happy with Rotman or Laurier desu. Schulich and Rotman seem quite terrible if not just for the reason of being commuter schools.
>>
>>1013060
Also I'm entirely planning on standing out... Going to join 2 or 3 clubs, work during school, try to get into Laurier Investment Fund, etc.

I figure that should get me in a pretty good position and I really like the additional money going into ETFs over staying stagnant or paying off the debt for a while.
>>
>>1013061

Your extra $40k going into an ETF isn't going to do anything for you, that extra $3000 you'll earn over your 4-5 years, will haunt you, because you never lived your life during your business degree.

If all you care about is saving money and getting a degree for the cheapest price, then sure, go to Laurier, but you do have to understand, to stand out, you have to spend money. You have to act a certain way, dress a certain way, and sell an image, so people want to work with you, want to get to know you, and want to meet you. Also, 2 or 3 clubs is nothing. You must always be on the movie when you're home, always going to a new event, or conference, always doing something, not going to 2 or 3 club meetings every 2 weeks and chatting for 1 hour about how to raise money for the club because that's what usually happens in all club meetings. LIF is a nice thing to join, also look if Laurier has a DECA chapter, if not, create one. You always have to be out and about, not staying inside and being useless to all your peers and group members. First day I was in university I joined 4 clubs for first semester, by second semester I was part of 11 different clubs, involved in school politics (treasurer) and in second year I was part of the orientation committee welcoming the new kids. I was also part of the basketball team, played as a point guard. Suffice to say, I had one day off a week, and that was Sunday. I was always doing something else, never "free" for myself. I did this for 2 years, and in my third year, I was offered a permanent position at TD Canada Trust. I now work as a Business Systems Analyst with them, on track to becoming Senior Business Systems Analyst within a years time.
>>
>>1013075
>Conferences and events

Literally what? What kind of conferences am I suppose to be at as a freshman senpai?
>>
>>1013076

Google.

http://www.canadaone.com/canadian_business_events/event_details.html?event_id=29138

http://www.canadaone.com/canadian_business_events/event_details.html?event_id=29136

http://www.canadaone.com/canadian_business_events/event_details.html?event_id=29158

http://www.canadaone.com/canadian_business_events/event_details.html?event_id=28763

Literally, 4 events, in like 3 months. All of these can go on your resume. The idea is to go to places where you feel will aid in your business knowledge, do you want to work in Banking Business, Healthcare Business, Social Entertainment Business? Just go to events that you are interested in. Anyone can go. Most are free, some have costs, but the idea is to just go out and check these places out, build a network.
>>
>>1013078
Seems gay as fuck.

What am I suppose to do at them? Figuratively such the other attendees cocks until they give me their phone number?
>>
>>1013090

No, you go in, there's a huge auditorium usually, and some speakers come up, talk about whatever the event is about, some questions from the audience are answered, if you have a question (you should) then ask it, and people will notice you, ask what you do, and then answer the questions. Go to events you actually like, or are interested in.

The fact that you think these conferences seem gay as fuck, is exactly why I think you'll never make it in your life. Go on then, go to your Laurier and join 2 or 3 clubs for the entire 4 years you're there and get that BBA bucko, enjoy your $12/hour McDonalds Manager position for the rest of your life.
>>
>>1013093
>The fact that you think these conferences seem gay as fuck, is exactly why I think you'll never make it in your life

As opposed to you who got a fulltime job yet still comes to 4chan like a loser manchild? Pretty pathetic desu. I really hope I don't turn out like you.
>>
File: Snapchat-4339135326168334622.jpg (197 KB, 1080x1776) Image search: [Google]
Snapchat-4339135326168334622.jpg
197 KB, 1080x1776
>>1013096

4chan is a fun place, especially when you can actually prove losers like you wrong. Check it out, my bank balance.

Oh, before you go saying that "nice inspect element" yeah good luck inspecting element on the TD banking app itself.

See ya around, I'll be sure to head to your McDonalds in Waterloo someday.
>>
>>1013115
Is that how much they pay you to shill for Ivey and Queens? Was that earned over a few years or is only part of it from the Queen's Commerce Association?

Also why the fuck do you have $91k in your chequing account? Literally for what purpose(nice inspect element)
>>
>>1013119

I've only been working for 1.5 years now, that includes some money I made during a few internships, some savings I had on my own, and no, I don't get paid to shill my school, my school shills me.

Purpose? No reason really, it's always fun being able to say I have a $100k in my checking account. At one point, I had $130k recently, but had to buy some things for my house.

Why can I not have $91k in my checking account? What does it matter to you? It's my account, not yours. (thanks jealous)
>>
>>1013122
>Why can I not have $91k in my checking account? What does it matter to you? It's my account, not yours

It doesn't make sense to have it sitting there being eaten away by inflation.

Why don't you buy some ETFs?
>>
>>1013123

You don't know what I'm going to use that money for, or what my reason is, for keeping it in an account earning less than 1% interest.

I'm not going to tell you either. Also, I do have other investments, this is just my personal banking account. I have a TFSA as well, fully maxed out, I have a few thousand shares I've collected over the years as well.

You can try to shill ETF's to me, when you have 91k sitting in your account, but seeing as that will never happen, you can stop. By the time, you do manage to get $91k in your account, I'll have 100 times that.
>>
>>1013126
More money invested into shilling for Queens or shitty Ivey?

Lmao yeah right
>>
>>1013129

Ask me anything else you need to know, for in 8 minutes or less, once my girlfriend is ready, we'll be out for 3 hours and I'll probably be drunk when I'm home, so you won't receive any answers till tomorrow morning.
>>
>>1013002
Top Tier
Ivey
Waterloo
Queens
Laurier

Mid Tier
UofT UTSG
McGill
Schulich

Third Tier
Ottawa
UTSC
UTM
Ryerson
Carelton
McMaster
Western non Ivey
York non Schulich
etc. etc.
>>
>>1013126

I'm going to Queens in their toronto location for their Masters in Mgmt. Analytics, tell me if you know about the program
>>
>>1013131
I went to a non top-tier school and it's just impressive the kind of alumni and coop structure some of these schools have.

Currently work on bay street and had a few internships myself, but took a lot of coffees and networking.

Schulich, like every other school tries to shill that they are the best in Canada, riding off their MBA rep. They are all right, and are pretty cheap (since you need over 90 and york gives scholarships). But if you want to go into Consulting or Banking the easy way, need to go Top Tier.
>>
>>1013130
I want to know how much Ivey and Queen's pay to shill their school to prospective students and how I can apply to such an esteemed position.
>>
>>1013131
>>1013134
But some of the cuckolds and shills on this board(in fact there's one in this thread) have been saying you'll work at mcdonalds at best if you to go Laurier.
>>
>>1013136
It depends, there are a lot of biases against other schools when you go to one. Even in the top tier schools there are loads of people who are losers, including ivey, queens, etc. Best way to go is Waterloo/Laurier dual degree. I just had a birthday a few days ago with a couple of friends with that mix all doing cool things in banking and tech, most in the states.
>>
>>1013137
>>1013136
Didn't really read what I wrote. Point is Laurier isn't that great, but with a Waterloo combo it's good. I'd say the worst of the top tier schools, I am boosting it because of the coop.
>>
so who here is actually /schulich/ ?
>>
>>1013142
You might want to post that on a Chinese-Canadian website.
>>
>>1013135

$0

Position doesn't exist
>>
>>1013115
are you chinese
>>
>>1013233
Impossible.

He is not Li_Sheng.
>>
>>1013142
Schulich fag here. There are so many juden here it's ridiculous. Our recruiting is shitty because it's York.
>>
>>1013131
I'm a first year at McMaster's DeGroote school of commerce. Is it over for me? Should I switch out to a better school?
>>
File: image.jpg (94 KB, 640x1138) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
94 KB, 640x1138
>>1013296
I'm at Carleton so... We're both fucked apparently.
>>
Wait, is queens better than UBC (vancouver)? I always thought ubc was better in rankings
>>
>>1013320
Holy shit f@m vancouver is literally shit tier.
>92 percent average needed to get in
>STILL has shittiest placements
>The faculty even advertise's the fact that there are no finance jobs in Vancouver and that grads should go to Calgary/Toronto.
>>
>>1013296
>>1013304
>Trusting the "rankings" of some random fucking person who goes on 4chan

Why?
>>
So from what I get is that Laurier BBA co-op is good but queens commerces wins. What about Waterloo AFM
>>
File: image.jpg (528 KB, 1242x2208) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
528 KB, 1242x2208
>>1013623
Because it's true most of the time
>>
>>1014004
How can some random neckbeard who's either a student or recently graduated be able to give his ranking on like 10 schools? Has he attended and aware of all the schools standings in the industries of the field?
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.