[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Check these out: https://www.upwork.com/contractors/ ?clea
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: freelancer.jpg (560 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
freelancer.jpg
560 KB, 1920x1200
Check these out:

https://www.upwork.com/contractors/?clear_button=1

My question to /biz/ : what (perhaps obscure) freelance skill can be acquired through self-education ?

What I mean is, other than the obvious ones like web design, stuff that Indians already excel in

What other perhaps more obscure skills are there that can be done freelance over the internet ?

Something that ideally doesn't require 10 years of experience and can be self-taught

I'm looking to develop a skill that ideally can be self-taught (but not necessarily) and isn't too mainstream like web programming or blog writing

Any ideas, anything ?
>>
Bonus points to someone who recommends something that won't be automated by artificial intelligence in hte next 10 years
>>
>>1012288
There is still a business in Journalism. It might not be apparent to you immediately, but if you can simultaneously report on local affairs while delivering a unique viewpoint on national and international news you can deliver great results.

The thing is too, you have a pretty captive base of writers on a site like this who would be willing to work for what amounts to a by-line and a minimal stipend.
>>
>>1012306
Very interesting idea, thank you.
Unfortunately I live in a small European country nobody cares about so I doubt there is interest in our local events.
>>
>>1012288
Learn an obscure programming language or specialize in something. Programming is still the best way to make money on Internet. Also Indians are awful to work with, everyone who has experienced them knows this. You will be given the edge simply because you will able to communicate with.
>>
App development for both android and iphone

EVERYONE has an idea for an app, but no one knows how to make one.
>>
>>1012288
Copywriting, audio transcription.

I´m a translator and it fills some of your criteria, but it´s definitely something that needs many years of work both learning languages and practicing translation itself, so unless you´re already bilingual or rather young it´s not really an option.
>>
>>1013257

i speak english, german and spanish all on native speaker level (spanish is latinoamerican spanish, not spaniard spanish)

how do i become rich?
>>
>>1013374
Speaking languages =/= translating them. I can translate Latin and Classic Greek, but I can´t speak them. I´m Spanish and I´ve learnt German through English - I can already speak a rough German and translate it into English if necessary, but I miss many connotations and such. I´m also unable to translate German > Spanish for the time being. I just don´t have that connection in my brain and must go German > English > Spanish instead. I´m training hard to get used to German > Spanish.

So first thing is to see if you´re a good translator, if you have the ability to keep as many details as possible in the translation. The next step is to check if you´re a good writer. Skip the creative part - just grab a book, read a scene and rewrite it with other words.

I´ve been translating stuff for fun since I was 14, so by the time I was done with the university I had already almost a decade of experience, but it´s not all that necessary.

Still, you´re not gonna get rich translating. It´s well paid, though, at least if you´re good at finding clients and buttering them up. Half of this profession is pure marketing - unless you want to get into a bureau, that´s it, but then you get paid significantly less.

If you´re a very fluent speaker, though, you might be better set as an interpreter. The elite ones can earn 1.000$ an hour or more. It´s a long road to get there (you´ll also need to get into interpreter associations and get recommended by other members to enter the elite ones and have years of experience, etc.), but it´s doable. The beginning is a little complicated and you can´t really do it from home without some trouble (getting a special telephone and shit like that, but most clients want you to be there in person, specially the well paying ones).

But of course being an interpreter has its own set of hardships: you must not only be fluent, but also quick with words in general, and able to speak very clearly.
>>
>>1013450

interesting as fuck. thanks for coming back to share brah, really appreciate it.
>>
Depends on what kind of work you're interested in. Anything can be self taught with the right amount of work, really.

To give you an example, 3 years ago I was a NEET high school drop out living at home with his Mom and not doin a damn thing. I buckled down, shut off video games, and took free online courses, got my G.E.D, and self taught myself.

First year I took what skills I had, which was writing, and started doing creative writing/copywriting/ect and learned to market myself. Made some decent money after I got off the ground (bout ~$7,000 a year) while still living at home, but not enough to live off of.

Second year I learned how to internet market, and use social media. Now I'm the personal social media manager of several artists, twitch streamers, Voice Actors, youtubers, etc. I still do copywriting/creative writing, but I outsource that to some people I can depend on while taking personal projects I think will be fun. Bumped my profits from $7k-$14k a year. In my area that's poverty line, but not too bad.

Coming close to the end of the third year. In talks with some local DJ's, Bartenders, Photographers, Authors I met off of Craigslist and will probably be doing the same with them, and looking to expand my Internet Marketing business I'm setting up as well as improve myself. Thinking in my 4th year of getting /fit/, taking some community college classes, and streamlining my marketing business so I can do some other things. Maybe focus on web development or something and wrangle up some Indians who will work for cheap.

I'm not rich, but right now I'm living on my own with a room mate in a house I own, and it's only getting better from there. All this from a fat guy with a G.E.D and no other skills, degree's, or certificates.
>>
>>1014831

similar story here, except i draw for a living.

how old are you?
>>
>>1014842
Right now? 26. A little older than the 4chan crowd probably, but I'm not middle aged yet. So I was 23 when I started all this.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.