[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Academia General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1
File: imgres.jpg (14 KB, 213x237) Image search: [Google]
imgres.jpg
14 KB, 213x237
>be me
>sophomore at pic related honors college
>4.0 at the moment, attending for free (full ride).
>Finance major with a minor in English.
>Only doing finance for the financial stability. Really no desire to actually work as an analyst/banker/whatever else.
>Don't care too much about money as long as I'm independent, have healthy food, gym membership, stable apartment, etc. No desire for fancy cars, overpriced suburban home, and vacations to Hawaii.
>Things I like: literature, discussing literature, learning, romance, writing, passionate sex, public speaking.
>Would like my own Wikipedia page one day.
>Family history of teachers. Grandfather, grandmother, and mother were all high school teachers in Spain. Uncle is a professor in Spain.
>Love teaching people things and watching people learn.
>Tons of intellectual attractive interesting women in academia/teaching.

The question is, should I go for academia? Don't know the exact path but I assume I'd have to go to a top grad school to get a Master's or Ph.D in English, which is plausible with my EC's and GPA. Would love to study at an Ivy for a few years. Then some assistant positions or whatever before finding a comfy tenured job somewhere. Is the field really saturated? Do I stand a chance? Professor life seems like the life for me, with the chance to write books and interact other people in my field while being with young people. Ideally I'd eventually move on to become provost/dean/president of the college/university. Back-up plan would be to become a teacher at a prestigious private high school.

Or,

Am I a romantic dumbfuck who needs to keep his ass in finance?

I know that this isn't directly related to stocks/finance/investing but it's employment related and /biz/nessmen seem very insightful so I thought it would work here.
>>
Also, I can graduate next year with finance major/english minor, in two years with finance/english double major, and this year with just an english major.
>>
>>1011394
It's a boring job after a few years

Been doing it for 6 years

It just turns into grading papers and work politics
>>
>>1011400
What was your path?
>>
Yes you are a romantic dumbfuck. Your post made me cringe the hardest all day.

I work in a top-ranked program, between number one and three in the world depending on year.

I think the best advice I can give you is to try to stop being such a faggot.
>>
Listen you. Dumb. Fuck.

Don't come here for that, better take that shit onto /b/
>>
If you're willing to go up against hundreds of similarly qualified, hardworking people for the handful of tenure-track spots out there, then by all means. It ain't gonna be easy though.

>I assume I'd have to go to a top grad school to get a Master's or Ph.D in English
PhD.
>>
you literally have to be a superstar to get a tenure job. If you aren't getting your phD from Harvard. Give up now.
Just google all the grad student memes.
For every job,, they throw out hundreds of post doc work C/Vs. You might need two Phds, a body of published work and a few books to have hope these days. Otherwise you are going to be moving every year for adjunt jobs teaching the lowest quality of students. It's not a great life. The only people that should get advanced degrees in something like english are people born with money that don't need to work for their whole life, that are just doing it for the fun of learning, and maybe when they are 45 will take a 20 hour a week job at a charity.
and no I am not exaggerating. You really shouldn't do it.
>>
keep your ass in fiance you ddumb fuck/
>>
Literally fedora tip the post
>>
>>1011394
Stay the FUCK in finance. Who the fuck do you think you're going to be? Harper Lee? Stay in finance, take the money, and write fucking books in your spare time. There. Problem solved.
>>
99% chance you will not get an eighth of the satisfaction, happiness and prestige you desire from this. My other option wasn't finance but I chose Academia. I was in exactly your scenario other than being in finance (even minored in english). I enjoy literature and deep down I crave recognition and fame.

I chose Academia. I enjoy literature and deep down I crave recognition and fame. My life is miserable. So much politics. So much cock-sucking. I'll never, ever get tenure. I'm ahead of so many fucking people in my field by a lot and even then I will NEVER get tenure. EVER.

I still love literature but the amount of actual new learning, studying and legitimate experiencing of my passion is less than five hours a week. The rest of my job is pure unadulterated bullshit. Everything else is complete and total bullshit and I hate every moment of it. Do not (try) to get a job working in Literature. So many frauds. So much cocksucking. So much identity politics. So little security. So little money. So little prestige. So little time to do the things I want to do in life.

Listen to me. Major in finance. Finish things off and earn enough money to not have to work for a living. Save money like a fucking animal. Read MMM and retire before you are 35-40. If you spend an hour everyday reading a good book you'll learn more and more interesting information than I did in this miserable lifestyle.

Everything you think is good about this job is a novelty that fades in weeks. Work for money, pursue your passions hard on the side, and live for yourself. (Also realize recognition/romance isn't worth the effort 99% of the time, fight your ego)
>>
>>1011394
I'm a literature major at a well-ranked midwestern liberal arts school. Our last English department opening got 800 applications (for an un-tenured, year-long gig).

I took a Chaucer class with a professor from second-best Middle English literature program. She's been here 3 years and still doesn't have tenure.

Don't go into humanities professorships. The field is saturated and you will fight tooth and nail for a job only to find that your department doesn't like you.
>>
>>1012084

I must ask you what you mean by "MMM". I've encountered it twice today; and I didn't manage to find its meaning on the Internet.
>>
Mr. Money mustache
>>
>>1013539

Madman Mencius Moldbug
>>
>>1011394
Don't fall for the academia meme. Your odds of making it are similar to those idiots who think they can make it in pro sports. Unless your dad worked in it, has connections and tutored you from the age of 7 in his subject you have no chance, because those are the people you're competing against.
>>
>Interests passionate sex

Holy fuck ahahahaha you fedora cuck
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.