[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Need Advise For becoming a BA
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4
File: Business-Analyst.jpg (218 KB, 700x523) Image search: [Google]
Business-Analyst.jpg
218 KB, 700x523
So right now I work for a startup and have worked in many different departments. I didn't finish college because I interned with them and they offered me full-time opportunity. I want my career to develop into Business Analysis but do I need a degree for that? What are some skills I need (like SQL, Excel, ect) and If I do need a degree what kind? I was also thinking of getting my CCENT and going into IT. Is there a way I can marry my IT interest with my goal of becoming a BA?
>>
I'm a BA :3
>>
Soon-to-be-former management consultant here.

At least get a bachelor's to prove you have a pulse. Business, or STEM would be ideal.

Aside from that SQL, Tableau, MS office especially Excel and Access. You might want to get familiar with big data environments (e.g. Hadoop, Cassandra, Hbase) as well since data volume is exploding, although right now that's more the domain of data scientists.
>>
File: 1435120996847.jpg (63 KB, 483x604) Image search: [Google]
1435120996847.jpg
63 KB, 483x604
>>1011355
Wow. You sure were helpful to everyone. Someone should mint you a medal.
>>
>>1011378
Well it is Christmas :3
>>
>>1011385
Do you work yourself to death? There's a posting for one on my uni's career services site. It pays 60-69 and is entry-level but I really don't want to work 60 hours a week.
>>
File: zaku-bad-ass.jpg (199 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
zaku-bad-ass.jpg
199 KB, 1024x768
>>1011357
how do I into management consulting? I can bullshit and numbers don't intimidate me, neither do computers.

this is for the thread in general.
What exactly is a business analyst? What skills do I need for that? Should I learn machine learning or can I skip that?
>>
>>1011357

Does startup experience not replace a degree in the business world? What are some good resources to get a taste for some of this myself? (books, courses, ect.)
>>
>>1011422

If you aren't able to work every day of the week GTFO. Any business entry-level position that pays 60K+ then you will work 50-60 hours every week
>>
>>1011616

Get an MBA and Get and 3-5 years of relevant experience.
>>
>>1011726
Tfw making 60k and in the office 30 hours a week, and only do about 10 hours of work a week. Stay cucked
>>
>>1011726
>If you aren't able to work every day of the week GTFO
You realize a 40 hour workweek is also predicated on working 5 days a week, right? Or do you mean 7 days?

Also, aren't you the one asking questions here? If you're trying to get in the field, why are you of all people adopting this holier-than-thou approach pretending as if everyone who doesn't want to work their lives away is lazy?

>>1011730
What do you do, anon? That's about my dream.
>>
I'm this >>1011357 guy in case the ID has changed.

>>1011616
>Getting into management consulting
Most of the people who come in get recruited out of undergrad or an MBA program. I was a little bit of an edge case as I already had a masters in physics and was basically unemployed at the time. I was specifically tapped for a role in analytics. So I'd say just go to the career fairs if you are still a student.

>What exactly is a business analyst?
I don't know what the definition is, but generally I've been tasked with taking a bunch of the client's internal data, analyzing it and providing strategic recommendations. Other tasks include creating KPI's and BRD's, re-org models and IT architectural plans.

>What skills do I need for that? Should I learn machine learning or can I skip that?
I know plenty of Business Strategy analysts who pretty much only know MS Office, however the field as a whole is moving towards a more quantitative approach and the best way to differentiate yourself is with a mix of business strategy and technical competency.

>>1011725
It depends on the employer, however at my consulting firm (one of the big 5) a Bachelor's was a requirement.
>>
>>1012096

I'm asking about how to become a BA, Don't need wasted thread space on "Do you gotta work alot? Working alot is hard." Type shit. If you aren't willing to work 7 days a week you won't have an edge. I got my internship because I told my employer that I will outwork any other intern and will get more done than any of them. Now I work full-time and my salary has doubled. I want information on how to get into the line of work and what skills I need for them. Alot of the questions asked on this thread are all answered by google. I'm not holier than thou, I just don't want to waste time for someone who can actually answer some of these questions
>>
>>1011725
>Does startup experience not replace a degree in the business world?

haha
>>
File: 1397426754750.jpg (79 KB, 400x452) Image search: [Google]
1397426754750.jpg
79 KB, 400x452
>>1012135
I can post whatever I want on your thread if it doesn't violate the rules, m80.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.