[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Serious question. I know subjects like English and History are
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1
File: mgid-uma-image-mtv.jpg (88 KB, 1440x810) Image search: [Google]
mgid-uma-image-mtv.jpg
88 KB, 1440x810
Serious question. I know subjects like English and History are considered useless, but what are your guys' real thoughts on Liberal Arts Colleges as a whole? They seem so comfy and welcoming but get a lot of hate.
>>
>>1011149
The colleges themselves arent all that bad sometimes, see Harvey Mudd

They get hate because most of their students pursue useless degrees and/or bitch and piss over trivial, oftentimes idiotic things. Just look at Oberlin
>>
>>1011149
>They seem so comfy and welcoming
It just so happens that those two qualities are perhaps the most irrelevant qualities that one could look for in higher education. College is not "a thing you do for 4 years after high school". If you treat it like one you're going to end up a poorfag working for minimum wage at Wal-Mart wondering why your graduate degree in Chicano Studies isn't getting you 6-figure salaries.

Don't study what you love and find a job to match. Pick a job and then find a degree to match.
>>
You get no bang for your buck, some liberal arts colleges are like $50k/year. You get what you put into college, but liberal arts colleges simply have fewer major offerings that make serious cash.
>>
>>1011149
>Get a library card and join a philosophy discussion meetup, while working as a tradesman's 'gofor'
>Save $150,000 in principle and interest on student loans.
>Still get a better job than coasting through 4 years of hedonistic partying and 'stare rape' symposiums, because you spent time networking with real world people and supporting yourself.

Or

>6 years of stem with epic internships.

Those are your only two life options if you want to stay middle class.
>>
>>1011149
suppliment liberal arts with actual art classes
or do a trade.

or double major.

Liberal arts are mostly a money pit for kids who just want the college expierence and nothing else.

if you're really interested in a field just watch youtube videos and read on your own time

and if you need an accountability buddy form a book club or discussion group or something.

sociology- if you want to be a government buerecrat
psychology- if you want to become a martyr for the "unstable"
communications-if you're handsome/pretty but stupid and want a career in an office.
philosophy-if you hate everything and everyone

actual art- for those who want to make something and eventually put on display for the general public.

anything else is just something you got dupped in to studying so you can get the college expierence.
>>
>>1011149
>comfy
>welcoming
The fuck, that's your criteria of getting into a college? You know what's more fucking comfy and welcoming? Staying at home doing fucking nothing. It's free too, but you won't get your self justification that you already 'study hard' when you fail in your fucking life later.
Fucking lazy sack of shits.
>>
>"fun" college tiers

God tier: community college
high tier: Liberal arts departments of state colleges (lots of sex, more drama though
mid tier:everything else
shit tier: STEM programs
>>
BI Analyst in the Pacific Northwest here.

Every single developer I've ever met who went to Reed (in Portland) or Evergreen (in Seattle) is fucking brilliant. And weird as hell. They'll always demand a high salary for their skills and they'll never get promoted to senior management.
>>
>>1011149
I have a BA in History plus 160 hours of business courses. I have traded oil and gas for small o&g marketing companies for over 30 years.

I don't think the history degree would get me in the door these days.

Interestingly, if you are accepted by Harvard's MBA program guess what you learn? Business histories.
>>
>>1011149
>I know subjects like English and History are considered useless
I did history + econ minor and learned some CS on the side and now work as a quant modeler and strategist.

History and political science (at least at the CIA level) is shifting towards a big data perspective.

And linguists are the hot hire right now to help teach AI and machine learning systems.

It's not what you studied, its how you present it.
>>
>>1011617
Didn't see this before posting
>>1011619
History + a math / business skillset are still well regarded, not for specific things like 'finance' or 'accounting', but for broad roles that require you to understand backgrounds of quant and non-quant assests and variables and how they interact, it is.
>>
I think the humanities are very useful. If you must ask why, look at any fucktarded STEM grad who thinks we should apply abstract principles of efficiency directly to social policy, or interpersonal relationships.
>we should just force everyone into cities
>build massive dormitories. Nobody needs anything more than a bed and a shared commode
>technocrats will disburse food, mates, etc
Jesus Christ, I wish I was joking. It's as bad or worse than the gender LARPers and trigger police.

But being a scholar in some unprofitable discipline is a privilege for the well off. If I were set for life the day I was born, I'd have gladly buried my nose in libraries and archives--just because it's not extremely lucrative doesn't mean it shouldn't be done.

It's a shame the American middle class didn't get the memo, and a fucking crime that so many greedy institutions churn out so many English majors and then let them rot on the vine. Ditto for all the employers who created the meme that you need a four year degree to answer a phone and fill out a spreadsheet. Ditto for the public school system that turns out morons who can barely read.
>>
>>1012114
The system is a reflection of the people. The people are shit so they deserve how they are treated. I used to be idealistic and believe in people, but now I see they are easy to exploit morons. So, now I watch out only for myself. One person never changed anything.
>>
>>1012117
That's a tautology
>things are the way they are because that's the way they are

I don't even disagree with you in principle, but your rationale is nonsense. If culture and effort towards change didn't matter, all human societies would all be like some third world shithole (or some unimaginable utopia full of blissed out zombies).

Standing around with a sign doesn't change anything, but doing things better can and does. Selfishness is fine, and a strong society can soak the damage from a handful of bad actors, but you can get yours without pissing in the same well you drink from.
>>
>>1012117
>'One person never changed anything'
Jesus Christ you just proved why history degrees can be important.
Shit, even highschool level history should teach you that.
Not even talking about kings or emperors here, just BUSINESSmen.
>Who was crassus
>who was M A Rothschild
>who was jobs, gates, zuckerberg
>who was Rockefeller
>>
>>1011149
Well no one watches tv anymore for * programming* so I guess they use social media and teaching curriculum now
>>
>>1012121
It is tautological. I don't know of any other way to put it.
>If culture and effort towards change didn't matter
The culture and effort of an individual don't matter.
>all human societies would all be like some third world shithole (or some unimaginable utopia full of blissed out zombies).
why would that be? and why do you not see that is the case? My grandfather actually had a better life than his children and many of his grandchildren I hope to be the exception. I think this goes for many people. people who argue things are getting better are full of shit. My grandfather had two trucks a tractor and a home paid for and a stable income and enough to live comfortably. My cousins might have a smartphone and a laptop, but that does not make up for not having financial independence.

I am not actually a selfish person. I hate randroids. I have just decided social change is impossible and the best I can do is make a career for myself and just be concerned about me.

>>1012146
>great man theory of history
If Napoleon had not been born another ambitious French general would have taken his place.
>>
They've increasingly become indoctrination centers at the expense of science and logic.

For example: is a man born as a man genetically a woman after a sex change?

Answer: how do I feel about that?

I have no respect for this agenda driven curriculum. It is literally fundie Creationist tier, and they are not being taught annything actually useful these days beyond rhetoric and being culture warriors. This is just as true for the idiots on the right.
>>
>>1012157
>the best I can do is make a career for myself and just be concerned about me.
I'd agree in as much as that I must care for myself before I can care for others.
If I'm not making 250k by 32 how can I help others less fortunate?
>>
>>1012114
>we should just force everyone into cities
>build massive dormitories. Nobody needs anything more than a bed and a shared commode
>technocrats will disburse food, mates, etc

>tfw I see nothing wrong at all with these economic proposals

Autism's a hell of a drug
>>
>>1011149
It's a bit of jealousy for the lighter workload, a bit of annoyance at not planning for the future, and a bit of plain not getting how poeple like that think and what they contribute.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.