[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Canadian shekels
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 5
File: canadian shekel.png (51 KB, 708x554) Image search: [Google]
canadian shekel.png
51 KB, 708x554
How much further can the Canadian dollar drop?

Is it a good idea to be buying US stocks and selling when the CAD bottoms out? What are the signs that it will continue to fall as opposed to stabilize?
>>
well /lgbt/?
>>
>Is it a good idea to be buying US stocks and selling when the CAD bottoms out?
heres a good idea for you, buy us stocks and sell cad. when cad bottoms out you buy cad. of course youre the one implying you can tell when something is bottomed out or not so ill leave that to you.
>>
>>1010710
>heres a good idea for you, buy us stocks and sell cad. when cad bottoms out you buy cad

Of course, that is the plan. I just can't decide whether signs are strong that CAD will continue to fall or not. I'm about 50/50 on it... Seems like it could certainly continue to fall but on the other hand historically there isn't all that much for it to fall down to.
>>
File: my €s are worthless.jpg (105 KB, 1021x688) Image search: [Google]
my €s are worthless.jpg
105 KB, 1021x688
>>1010671
look at the €/$ rate here.
It would have saved me hundres of $'s if I did pay the studying fees all in the beginning of the semseter.
But poorfag me had to split and pay the second half at the end of the term
>>
>>1010714
If you can't decide, a smart play would to bet on stocks that report in CAD but primarily earn revenue in USD.

When you look at earnings reports look for a huge foreign exchange gain. TD is well regarded in this sense.
>>
>>1010671
A lot of currencies are getting shit on, were going to be moving to Bitcoin in 3-6 months or you will suffer.

A global economic reset
>>
>>1011408
Lol
>>
>>1011408
>A lot of currencies are getting shit on, were going to be moving to Bitcoin in 3-6 months or you will suffer.

Ah yes, 10,000th time the charm, eh?

>>1011401
Yeah I'm going to just buy some ETFs that track S&P but trade on TSX
>>
>>1011415
I bought VFV. Vanguard etf trades in Toronto but has 99.7% assets in USD. Trades at about $50 each right now
>>
>>1011428
What broker did you use?

I am planning on just putting like $10k(most of my cash money) into it.
>>
>>1011701
TD Canada Trust for 9.95 a trade

CIBC will do it for 6.95 but they want a 15k balance.

TD charges me no maintenance fees no matter what my investment account balance is in my self directed account because I have a registered account (TFSA)
>>
ya man buy high sell low
>>
>>1011750
Eh... TD fees way too high. Qtrade has quite a bit lower fees from what I've looked at.

In fact I'm probably just going to switch to a credit union and use Qtrade as broker.
>>
>>1011764
Be sure to check with qtrade if they have any activity/maintenance fees. If you're just going to do the one trade and go long should browse around for the best deal. 15K in assets is usually what I've seen brokers want in exchange for not charging you every 3 months to have the account open
>>
>>1011764
>>1011776

Just went and checked https://www.qtrade.ca/investor/en/aboutus/services/fees.jsp#note-other

Their basic account is 8.75 a trade and they will charge $25 every three months unless you do two trades in those three months
>>
>>1011783
Does "trade" refer to buying AND selling? Or just either?
>>
>>1011785
Oh I meant it as either or. So when I said 9.95 a trade I mean 9.95 to buy and 9.95 to sell.

So with qtrade compared with TD based on my numbers you'd save 2.40 when you buy and eventually sell assuming you're just doing one buy and one sell with your 10k. Obviously if you're just going to let it sit there for two years you'll want to work with a brokerage that isn't going to charge you for doing nothing in that account
>>
>>1011848
>Obviously if you're just going to let it sit there for two years you'll want to work with a brokerage that isn't going to charge you for doing nothing in that account

I would be regularly depositing money though.

Probably ~$250/week or so.
>>
Gents,

complete amateur here.

would buying some Canadian stock be a good first ever investment?

have about 30k saved up, looking for advice
>>
File: 1423289389018.jpg (225 KB, 700x609) Image search: [Google]
1423289389018.jpg
225 KB, 700x609
>>1011701
This is literally what I did a week or so ago, 10k in VFV
>>
>>1011982

Every scientific study ever says you should diversify as much as possible.
Going for a single country is not diverse.

But you can also ask the TA wizards to predict Canadas future with 2-5 straight crayon lines and follow their advice.
>>
>>1012002
right, I was thinking as a small investment,
truth is I don't know much about trading at all.

id appreciate a crash course if anyone would care to help.

should I do stock emulation for a few months?
where do you guys trade online?
what does it cost to use these trading companies?
what kind of money do you put in?
how much do you typically make?
how do you generally choose your stocks?
>>
File: 1437677421744.jpg (40 KB, 396x400) Image search: [Google]
1437677421744.jpg
40 KB, 396x400
Our hat is in trouble?
>>
>>1010671
As far as oil falls CAD will follow. Wait for it to bottom out, then buy all of the petrol-dollars.
>>
>>1012054
And how are we to know when that will happen?
>>
File: Oil.jpg (40 KB, 838x295) Image search: [Google]
Oil.jpg
40 KB, 838x295
>>1012068
IMF and Goldman predict $20 but I'll start buying when its $30
>>
>>1012032
Only because our pants ate so much they got fat!

My parents in .ca, me working in .us, at least I know I can take care of them if I have to in their declining years, and then I look at their medical bills of $0.00 and insurance bills of $0.00 and realize I won't have to.
>>
>>1012068
>>1012070
It's pretty damn close to the lowest it can possibly go. Most oil companies are running at a loss already and many have shut down or at the very least, downsized significantly
>>
>>1012431
Does that mean it's a bad idea to buy US memes?
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.