[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anyone remember iwearyourshirt.com?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
File: 360166_v1.gif (774 KB, 400x256) Image search: [Google]
360166_v1.gif
774 KB, 400x256
I Wear Your Shirt ended some time ago, it seems. The premise was that they would sell days of the year in which they would wear your shirt for advertising purposes. From all I can tell, the business went under because the owner simply didn't want to do it any more.
Long story short, I want to fill that market gap myself. The dude had a badass business plan, and I'm wondering just how much of it I can directly imitate. Moreover, I don't know whether his business model was copyrighted or not. I can't seem to find any similar businesses, which is concerning seeing as how I Wear Your Shirt was quite successful. It's minimal effort for maximum profit, yet there is only one name in the game, and it's gone now.
What are some of the hurdles I'd have to jump through? Do you think this idea is still viable? Most importantly, what sort of potential legal trouble am I looking at for creating a similar business/how can I avoid them?

Pic unrelated
>>
>>1010404
Oh, I should mention I'm gonna do this out of Atlanta, GA, so it's the American legal system I'm concerned with.
>>
>>1010404
These things are one-off meme businesses. Similar to the "1 million pixels" site where they sold ad space 1 pixel = $1. People have tried to copy but nobody cares the second time around.

Come up with a new idea like this and spam it everywhere.
>>
Business models cannot be copyrighted. Only mechanics. eg Amazon cannot copyright e-commerce, but DID patent it's one-click process. You're in the clear. Good luck
>>
>>1010429
While true, (The million pixels thing was supposedly an inspiration for this business model) the fact of the matter is that he continued to make a profit even after the fad phase ended. This, to me, shows that there was and is still a market to be tapped. Given that his website says he's moved on and halted the business, I find a huge hole left wide open in that market.
Whereas the pixel thing worked due to a viral effect, it was not in any way sustainable. The only way people saw the ads was if they knew about the site to begin with. Sure, it worked when everyone was aware of it, but after the fad died it floundered because that ad space was no longer valuable. In the case of the shirts, the shirt advertisement game is a long-lived and highly effective marketing strategy. It's still a viable method to advertise your business by having your employees wear clothes representing your business. Therefore, I see no real reason why someone wouldn't want a service like this available.
>>
>>1010447
If you think it will work then try it. I'm just saying that people (the visitors, the ones that companies pay to advertise to) won't care nearly as much. This guy got a rush of traffic (which also brought his long term fans/viewers) because he came up with a new marketing idea that was intriguing to the public. People like clever marketing, they'll share ads if it "empowers" them or makes them laugh, but nobody cares about unoriginal marketing.
>>
>>1010404
This is pretty interesting OP. I like the idea and I think it could be marketed specifically to college kids looking for extra spending cash. The shirts don't have to just say the brand really big across the front, they could be clever and original. I've seen a few sites where hey pay you to strap an ad on the side of your car for a month and those seemed to pick up some traction. This is much less intrusive and I believe it could pick up some steam. Long story short... I'm in.
>>
>>1010456
I intend to, but what confuses me is that even with the million pixels gag, there were hundreds of imitators. With this idea, I haven't been able to find a single imitator. It may simply be how ludicrously easy the concept is that scares people into thinking it'll fail. It may convince them, like it did yourself, that it was a one-time thing. But everyone? Not one person even tried to do it and failed? I need to find out why.

>>1010521
It could, I suppose. But the original target of the original business was that of larger companies. In essence, the shirt-wearer is a walking billboard for whatever brand or product the customer company is trying to promote.
On that note, I actually really like the idea of car advertising too. I may incorporate that in some way. Thanks!
>>
>>1010404
This all sounds fucking retarded, is this what marketing majors waste their time on?
>>
>>1010404

Copy the idea, but for tattoos.
>>
>>1011834
Unfortunately yes. I work freelance with a lot of agencies and even the senior account managers seem like all they can do is hop on memes and cling to fads that got annoying months ago.

Their lives consist of professional bullshittery, it kind of follows that they're full of shit.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.