[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
No friends, no feedback, need help.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3
File: resume_blanked.jpg (117 KB, 800x1035) Image search: [Google]
resume_blanked.jpg
117 KB, 800x1035
I just need help with my resume. I'm a 22 year old graduate with an AAS in graphic design. I want a goddamn cubicle making banner ads or even websites' front end. Either as a corporate in-house designer or a junior/production designer at a firm.

Maybe I'm not asking myself the right questions. But objectively I don't know what to present to an employer. That's something I need some help with -- embellishing.

Any input on execution, the writing of the copy, the concepts presented, or even the layout would be appreciated.

Will gladly trade consulting for small design work if you need it done.
>>
Hmm should probably try this at a peak hour.
>>
File: JFMSU4.png (59 KB, 2339x1654) Image search: [Google]
JFMSU4.png
59 KB, 2339x1654
>>1010359
Can't really help much because I'm also currently in the same boat as you are in searching for a job. Here's my 2 c though:

The timeline looks too complicated and confusing. Also you have some spelling errors like
>coallaberate to collaborate
>collaberation to collaboration

Any ausfags that can critique my shit resume? currently looking for vac roles in smaller firms.
>>
>>1010381

Thanks I appreciate it.

I know I don't have much to stand on but just from a design perspective, you might want to consider condensing the bullet points to a small summary or "story" if you will. And then from there, minimal bullets on what was gained [now have to offer] from that stint.

anyways thanks.
>>
I like the style of your resume. I'd just say 3 things:

-If you have any experience in graphic design at all, or have done any projects, find a way to list that above your job history since Winco Foods doesn't look very appealing
-Put the most recent job at the top (the opposite order of what you have)
-TRY to spell every work correctly, for christ's sake. You spelled "independent" wrong, I didn't look to see if there were others, but misspellings/grammatical errors look so, so, so bad.
>>
>>1010407

Noted, and goddamn I'm glad people are finding my spelling errors.

So for instance I helped with "Big hero 7"s promotional game and "Paw-Patrol"s debugging. Should I add things like that in and try to push the shit-jobs to a second page?

I can't thank you enough for helping me.
>>
>>1010407
The irony of me spelling "word" incorrectly

But yeah, I see you spelled "collaborate" wrong

Also I'd recommend saying what YOU were expected to do in security rather than "officers were expected to..."; it makes it sound like you just showed up and did what it took to get paid

Job descriptions can be easily expanded/bullshitted to sound better. For instance your description for Winco foods could talk about "addressing customer disputes and assisting with product knowledge" or something more in depth than what you have
>>
>>1010359
You should honestly scrap this resume and start fresh entirely. If you're set on making your own, look at the resumes on this page and take inspiration from your favourites:
http://graphicriver.net/search?utf8=%E2%9C%93&term=&view=grid&sort=sales&date=&category=print-templates%2Fstationery&price_min=&price_max=&sales=&rating_min=

Work on making it as easy to read as possible and highlights your skills. If your resume is confusing or hard to read at all, the employer will probably just throw it out.

Simplicity is popular because it's effective.
>>
>>1010413

This is amazing, thanks for the resource!
>>
File: resume_v2_blanked.jpg (380 KB, 1669x1080) Image search: [Google]
resume_v2_blanked.jpg
380 KB, 1669x1080
Time to sleep. Did revisions.
>>
>>1010533
it's pretty and all, but the design isn't really needed imo. just makes it that much harder to skim through.

maybe one thing that catch the eye of someone
>>
>>1010533
completely remove security guard and grocery store jobs as they are completely irrelevant to the job you're applying for.

http://dropcanvas.com/zpf5p

check out Ramits Dream Job program
>>
>>1010533
Please use a different font

Anything that isn't a header takes basically twice as long to read.

The timeline is a lot easier to understand in this format but I think you could pretty it up more. The skinny lines and arrows look awkward.

>>1010698
Don't remove the security guard job as it's the only thing you've done for all of 2015. If you remove it they might think you're NEET.

Li Ching stop spamming your virus download links please.

You've sort of fucked yourself OP taking a full year away from the industry you want to work in but it's still possible to get a job. You're more likely to land contract/freelance work. I really hope you have a portfolio to show off or else there's no chance you'll get a job.
>>
>>1010533
>looking to expanded skill range
You might want to check your grammar, anon.
>>
>>1010546
I agree. The design is ostentatious. Keep it simple and concise. The average resume only gets looked at for 10 seconds.
>>
>>1011088
Thanks, Just woke up. Will revise.

>>1011045
The body font or the title font?

Yeah I spent a great deal of time after graduating trying to get into a technology institute, but no headway.

I realize my odds are less than 40% of getting anywhere now.

Currently searching Tor for a suicide group to meet on the oregon coast. I just really want to see the ocean one last time. Just as a plan B.

>>1011091
Studies report its an average of 7 seconds in united states now.

Thanks to all who have helped out thus far I really appreciate it.
>>
Recruiter here, my job is to literally look at resumes all day, pick candidates and conduct phone screens. But yeah OP most of the previous comments cover it, just restating the main ideas:
>contact info can be condensed into 1 line
>month/year for employment/education dates (eg. Security, Unarmed Guard, Jan 2012 - Aug 2013 or some shit)
>most recent exp first, descending order
>maybe go with a font that's easier on the eyes, but that's all subjective
>I appreciate the timeline you added, that's fun
>throw in some industry-related jargon (phrases & words) and you're good to go
>>
>>1010359
1. Most recent experience first
2. IMO objectives are corny as hell and amateurish.

Alright otherwise. You probably don't have enough real experience to do this but if you could put down a bulleted list of accomplishments instead of 'responsibilities' it would probably be more powerful.
>>
>>1011123

Thanks yeah, objectives/mission feel very old-hat but I'm keeping in mind my target audience who all get a boner when the copy is written with buzzwords and other triggers/hooks.

I think with my revision I talked up accomplishments to an acceptable degree.

The target job is Junior designer or production designer. Both of which are entry level bottom-bitches who don't even have the responsibility of choosing a color pallet for a web banner. So experience comes second to being able to work well with others and to accept revisions without pushing back.

>>1011113
I'm so so happy I got a recruiter's eyes on this, whats more, I'm glad the basics have been covered. It feels like all the revisions now aren't the "do it all over again" type
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.