[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is 53,000 a year a good salary? I merely want an 2 bedroom apartment
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 2
File: B7GrpQZIUAAwNU9.jpg (18 KB, 377x377) Image search: [Google]
B7GrpQZIUAAwNU9.jpg
18 KB, 377x377
Is 53,000 a year a good salary? I merely want an 2 bedroom apartment in nyc
>>
You can afford a quarter of that apartment.
>>
>>1010168
Depends. I make $51,000 in Texas and it feels pretty decent. I'd obviously love to make more but I'm far from impoverished or living paycheck to paycheck or something. I can pay my bills and afford other miscellaneous expenses while still being able to put back and save/invest.

In New York though, this is probably poverty tier or something.
>>
>>1010171
funny cuz its true
>>
>>1010168

It is in the midwest.
>>
>>1010168
>Is 53,000 a year a good salary?
Yes.
>I merely want an 2 bedroom apartment in nyc
No.
>>
>>1010168
You'll need to multiply that by three
>>
>>1010168
53k is a good salary outside of Boston, NYC, SF, LA, and the lesser known god-tier housing cost cities (Carmel by the Sea, CA).

In NYC you literally need what >>1010183 said.

>2br apartment in NYC
>"merely"

You'll need a roommate in a studio apartment, anon. But that's why you posted this bait in the first place.
>>
>>1010168

>living in NYC on anything less than $100K a year
>>
>>1010168
I've lived in NYC all my life and I can tell you that 53K can possibly get you a 2 bedroom in Brooklyn/Queens border assuming you are frugal. Otherwise more realistic would be something in any borough that isn't manhattan and it's 1 bedroom, you can easily get a railroad apt for 1.7k/month near a train station.
>>
>>1010183
>>1010224
I have never actually realized how many people don't know their shit and post on this board until right now. This is really not the place to be asking this kinda shit.
>>
>>1010224
http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/city_result.jsp?country=United+States&city=New+York%2C+NY

The "you need infinite money to live in NYC" misconception needs to end.

Lisbon, Rome, Ankara, Bratislava, Bournemouth, Beijing, Reno, have worse local purchasing power.
http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/rankings.jsp
>>
>>1010803
Reno has low cost of living where it counts though. Housing prices keep going up though...
>>
>>1010168
1) yes 2)NYC for you will most probably be a place in Jamaica Queens, or the Bronx. not necessarily a bad thing, don't be a pussy
>>
The rule of thumb I was taught is that your rent should be NO MORE than 1/3rd of your paycheck.
>>
>>1010803
Wow really Bratislava? I've been there, seemed really nice and quite cheap.
>>
50k gives you a cozy af life in any non liberal shithole
>>
>>1010827
Thanks grandpa, I'll remember that if I ever go faster than 88 MPH.
>>
>>1010806

unemployment rate is still shit
>>
>>1010168
http://newyork.craigslist.org/search/aap?sort=priceasc&search_distance_type=mi&min_price=1000&bedrooms=2

the world is yours bubby
>>
File: CWg09abVAAAxqu2.jpg-orig.jpg (612 KB, 1537x2048) Image search: [Google]
CWg09abVAAAxqu2.jpg-orig.jpg
612 KB, 1537x2048
>>1010168
Yes, just don't live in Manhattan.
>>
>>1010905
Kek those are all either scams (beautiful place in tribeca for 1k a month; no way), outside the city, or in absolute shot neighborhoods where OP would get murdered within a month.
I made $50k a year in nyc 10 years ago. Could only really afford to rent a room in a decent part of Brooklyn.
>>
>>1010236
>1.7k per month on a 53k yearly
You might be able to do it, sure as hell wouldn't be a good idea though. You're only going to be taking like 3k home per month after taxes.
>>
>>1010168
>2 bedroom
>nyc
>50k
Not in Manhattan you're not my mom lives in NYC, she pays 6k a month for a 2 bedroom.
>>
>>1010168
Is $50k good in the US?

I know right now the Australian dollar is shit but store clerks can make that here

Graduates with connections make 120k+, graduates make 85k+
>>
>>1011541
$50k isn't amazing but it's far from a bad wage in 'murica. The purchasing power of a single dollar is a lot higher. Gas is $0.50 a liter there and $1k a month will rent you a /good/ apartment in most of the country.
>>
>>1011541

You can sponsor a house on $50K in a non-urban area.
>>
>>1011541
>Graduates with connections make 120k+, graduates make 85k+

kek no.
>>
why would you want to live in nyc anyways?
>>
>>1010168
I have a 1 bedroom in NYC and I pay the common rent at $2950 a month and you need 2 month security! So don't even think on coming to NYC unless you find a better paid job or expect to live more than 1 hour away from the city deep in the Bronx or deep into queens or eastNY where you will be more concerned about getting raped or killed!!!
>>
As already stated, if you want a 2 bedroom in Manhattan on $53k a year, you're crazy.
You need to make at least $125,000 to afford that monthly.
My parents own two apartments on the upper east side and have to pay $3,500/month on maintenance etc.
You can probably find a good place in Queens for that much, though.
>>
>>1011657
>browsing /biz/
>why would you want to live in nyc anyways?
>nyc, ya know, the business capital of the world
>>
>>1010171
>>1010172
>>1010236
This

53k a year is a lot or a little depending what what city/middle of no where town that you're in.

>>1011708
Sounds about right - where are you in the city?
>>
>>1011541
>Is $50k good in the US?
It's good in places like bum fuck nowhere Alabama and Montana.
It's okay/average in most of the country.
It's bad in places like NYC and California.
>>
I live comfortably with 1 roommate on 35,000 a year in a really nice part of Atlanta (Sandy Springs)
>>
>>1011541
you can't support a family of 4 on that but it's a good starting salary for a single male desu. 120k plus is high middle class. Very few college graduates make that much out of school
>>
>>1012211
>>1011632
Yep, many of the graduates I know got their jobs through nepotism and are earning from 110-150k in first/2nd year

Also, the average graduate from a good school gets 75-90k

Straight up

I'm talking about actual graduates, not sociology, I'm talking IT, commerce, engineering etc
>>
>>1012222

>Also, the average graduate from a good school gets 75-90k

No, they really don't. Law and eng grads are struggling to find a job straight out of Melbourne or Sydney Uni currently, nevermind earning 90k+.
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.