[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How much should put into stocks, initially? Also stocks or 401k?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
How much should put into stocks, initially?

Also stocks or 401k? Or both?
>>
>>1010002
>stocks or 401k?
Unfuck that question please.
>>
>>1010002

stocks in your 401k
>>
nothing, trade paper to begin with, or put money into the vanguard 500 and other low risk funds, bonds and stocks, though not at the moment because the market is volatile after a long bull market

if you have to put a certain amount of money into your 401K each year, just put cash into your account then move it to stocks within the acount later
>>
>>1010010
I'm an idiot. Where would I start to learn this stuff?
>>
>>1010023
Well got starters do you actually have a 401k you are eligible for? That would be offered through your employer. Do you have anything like that going on?
>>
I'm also heavily interested in learning more about passive income.

Pls tell me what to read.
>>
>>1010024
Next month I'll have been with my current employer for the six months required to start a 401k. I believe it matches 3.5%. I'm part time but my boss is offering me full time if I want it. Currently in school or else I'd have taken it by now.
>>
>>1010034
Well. If you have a matching 401k contribute at least enough to get the full match ( call the servicing company that manages the plan and find out, usually employers don't know dick about their own plan rules)

Your plan will have a line up, typically of mutual funds. Pick a basic large cap index fund or blend fund to get started. As you learn more you can branch out. Also make sure to ask about the following:
>transfer restrictions
How often can you transfer between investments within the plan? Is their any cost to transfer?
>speaking of costs
Are their any administration fees? What about asset based charge? Check writing fee to roll over when you leave employer?
>vesting
Ask about the vesting schedule
>investment options
Does the employer contribute cash for investment or employer stock? If yes on employer stock, under what conditions can you transfer out ot employer stock?

Start with your 401k. You have no business with more aggressive investment until you at least have a baseline on basic retirement investing.

Also, your retirement account is like investing with training wheels. Basic options with a limited risk tolerance an forward price trading. So it's alot less complicated that trading on the market directly. Great way to get your dick wet.

>fun fact
You will need about 1.4 million dollars for a middle class retirement. Let that sink in.
>>
>>1010007
A majority of company sponsored 401k don't let you buy individual stocks(except the company stock), they have a set list of mutual funds you can pick and contribute to

When OP said stock, it would be reasonable to assume he meant after tax funds with a post tax investment account(ETrade, vanguard, tdwaterhouse, etc)
>>
>>1010056
>>1010059
Thanks very much.

This is all over my head so is there anywhere I could read to make sense of this a little better?
>>
>>1010087

if your company has a 401k account, and you have money to spare, it's better to contribute to that as much as you can because it takes money from your pay check before it gets taxed... this does 2 things... you get more money in the 401k account to start the initial investment in, and 2 keeps you in a lower tax bracket so the government takes less of your paycheck each month.

so that's all pretax advantage..

then there's post tax stuff... like money from your take home pay... the number in your paycheck basically.. if you have extra, then you can open a trading account with a brokerage- I'm assuming you 'murican, so I'll it can be something like scott trade, etrade, or the /biz/ meme brokerage - robinhood, or walk into your local bank of america, chase, wells fargo... they all have brokerage services.... you put money in one of those accounts, and you can invest in pretty much any stock you see publicly listed on the NYSE/NASDAQ, etc. Just remember capital gains taxes with that account.
>>
%70 mutual funds, 20 precent index funds and 10% rare metals. thank me in 15 years.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.