[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
TL;DR Underpaid and deserve a raise. How do I go about requesting
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
File: le grosman.jpg (16 KB, 640x272) Image search: [Google]
le grosman.jpg
16 KB, 640x272
TL;DR Underpaid and deserve a raise. How do I go about requesting a raise, /biz/?

Anyone else want know what's the best way to get a raise?
>>
>>1009919
Think about the reasons why you deserve a raise. Much easier to get one when you can back-up your request with examples of how you have added value to the company
>>
>>1009919

bluff and say you have another job offer. or actually go and get another job offer.
>>
>>1009919
Find a new job that pays more.

I find negotiating with my bosses has been essentially pointless. They generally give me some "market rate" line of bullshit or how corporate has capped funds blah blah blah. But put in your notice and usually the tune changes. Of course, at that point, its too late.
>>
>>1009928
Ok, I've done that pretty extensively. How would I go about bringing it up?

Would an email be appropriate if you can rarely (read: never) get a face to face meeting with your employer?
>>
>>1009935
Request a meeting face to face. Be prepared to quit, so have another offer lined up. This is like playing chicken. Most employers only care about employee needs when it hits their bottom line. I've never had an employer that will negotiate on merit alone; you have to be pretty irreplaceable to pull that off.
>>
Phone your employer and arrange a meeting. Say it's about discussing your progress or something. Follow up the phone call with a confirmation email. Use the meeting to reiterate to them how much cash your bringing in and have the balls to say you know how much you are worth. Also drop in stuff about how you will improve from where you are.

Don't know what your boss is like but some respect people wanting more, and will pay to keep those people.
>>
>>1009935
avoid email. AVOID EMAIL. gotta come off as coming from a position of strength.
>>
>>1009935
Find a new job that pays more.

If you can't find a new job that pays more (or would have trouble finding one), then you have an over-inflated perception of your self worth.
>>
>>1009935
Do you have any annual / semi-annual reviews, whether that be in person or over the phone? Those are probably the best times to bring it up.
>>
>>1009919
Get a job offer.

Then take the job offer.
>>
>>1009919

Ask higher than what you realistically desire.
>>
>>1009919
What makes you think you deserve a raise exactly?
>>
>>1009919

Find a new job.

Basically, most jobs fuck you over.
>>
>>1009919

Go up to your boss and ask.

Holy shit this board so coward.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.