[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Youth General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3
File: image.gif (62 KB, 540x720) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
62 KB, 540x720
High school senior here, it seems like most of the stuff discussed on here is about stocks and investing and whatnot which is pretty irrelevant to most people about to go to college or college students themselves. What can I do to prepare myself for business later in life?

I worked at a restaurant for about three months and saved up everything I earned ($900) in a savings account at my local credit union (3% and no fees). Yes I know, shitty but it's a start. Becoming financially independent would be great for me because my dad and I don't have a great relationship and he could cut me off at any time. I'll definitely be going to college, and applied to quite a few. If I get into most places where I applied (no guarantee) my options will be:

1. Ivy League/Stanford-would cost a good amount but top-notch education and a great time.

2. University of Alabama-bc of sholarships I've already received, it would cost only about 10K a year including everything. Would probably major in finance or some other business major and minor in polisci or english. Might be able to graduate in three or even two years due to AP credit.

3. UC school (uni of California). Would cost like 30K a year (I'm in-state) and I heard that most have shitty social scenes and that the academics suck. The only UCs I'd consider over 'Bama would be Berkeley or LA.

4. Private liberal arts college on a full-ride. I applied to some privates (Davidson and Washington and Lee) that have full ride programs and would only go if I got them. Education would be free but I would have to major in economics.

How do I maximize my future earning potential.
>>
>>1009918
Wow great job son.

Its a hard question to answer, full disclosure I am a loser in life but I am old so can at least chip in until you get a quality answer.

1. Ivy League has a far different culture than Alabama. Are you ready to become a intellectual college athlete? Competition is really fierce, getting good grades means being better than others, not personally excellent. Mostly no time for fun.

2. Alabama is where you go to get laid by sorostitutes but if your personality and looks are jacked then you would have a sadder time but might find your future wife. Academically its very easy and allows for more of a broad spectrum of experiences. I went to a similar college called UofArizona Tucson. Spent time partying all weekend and seeing so much fun events and shows barely riding on my 3.2 GPA.

NOTE: You may actually find it easier to get a job than at Davidson because of the Alumni network. People love hiring Bama grads if they also graduated from Bama.

3. UofCalifornia is terrible unless you are left wing in politics and okay with the social justice scene. Its also way better in psychology, history, poli sci then say hard sciences. Most women will be hardcore feminist or lesbian/demisexual/trans.

Academically its incredible and slightly less stress than Harvard so you can have a single hobby too.

4. If you get a full ride, I would absolutely take it. You only get a small amount of debt, if you hate liberal arts then you can go into a good masters like law or MBA. However if you don't like these things don't do this option at all. Liberal arts credits only are arts, so if you decided to do STEM you would be screwed.
>>
>>1009918
Start buying kneepads, college is retarded
>>
>>1009946
>Its also way better in psychology, history, poli sci then say hard sciences.

Switch them around for LA, SD, and Berkeley and that's accurate. The only UC worth anything for biz is Berkeley and the social scene throughout the UCs is pretty shit unless, like this guy said, you're a hardcore liberal
>>
>>1009946
>UofCalifornia is terrible unless you are left wing in politics

please go look up UCB/UCLA's worldwide rankings in STEM fields, then kick yourself for both having and sharing strong opinions on things which you know literally NOTHING about

>mfw go to UCB
>no exposure to sjw scene at all
>it exists but idgaf
>physics major
>probably the 6th best undergrad physics program in the entire world
>>
>>1009918
You applied to Yale, right? If the information your providing about your and you family income is correct, that should be a legit free ride.

Best Ivy undergraduate, IMO
>>
>>1009918
RMFT. My friend was into Finance at Bama and he works for Regions Bank rn making big bucks. They like to hire from Bama because they're headquartered there.
>>
>>1009918
The UCs are great. UCB, UCLA, UCSD, and UCI are all top 40 universities. I wouldn't overlook them. UCSB, another highly ranked UC, is also one of the biggest party schools in the country.
>>
>>1009918
Honestly, get your BA at any state university, outside of the top five or so there is really no difference. If you plan to stay local a local/regional college will get you a long ways - a lot of alumni. If you get a job and like business, discover a career path quickly. Then after five or so years of living cheap and saving, get your MBA. This is where you can be a bit more choosy. A good MBA is worth A LOT more than a good BA.
>>
File: howdii.png (50 KB, 743x577) Image search: [Google]
howdii.png
50 KB, 743x577
>tfw got accepted to MIT
>tfw probably the only shitposter in my class
>>
>>1009918
Why not military?
60k savings and 36k for uni if you save correctly.

Enlisting soon, hs senior.
>>
>>1009918
>Ivy League/Stanford
Implying you can get in.

>The only UCs I'd consider over 'Bama would be Berkeley or LA.
Pfffffffft
>>
>>1010374
tons of MIT students lurk on /g/
>>
>>1010374
Congrats, you'll have a bright future. :)
>>
the only thing i have to say is if college is the best time of your life your life is probably shit

doesn't necessarily have to be the worst but it was for me
>>
>>1011590
If you didn't enjoy your time in college your life is probably shit. You must be really fucking boring.
>>
>>1010374
Congrats Anon, you deserve it!
>>
If you're considering UC's, don't overlook UCSB. UCSB is surprisingly quite academically rigurous. Plus, the out of school life can't be beat there either.

I thought it was a shit school until I actually went down and spent a couple of days on campus (visiting my girlfriend who worked there).

Probably one of the best UC's in terms of academic quality/quality of life balance.
>>
>>1012019
Oh yeah. While we're at it, why not consider Cal Poly? If you're considering UC's, you're basically talking the same thing, except that Cal Poly has academics that can't be beat.
>>
>>1011613
for all the pc safe space bullshit, it was a thoroughly hostile and uncomfortable place where everyone's ambitions were obliterated and the only thing that got me through was escapism, isolation, and substance abuse
>>
File: Michigan_Wolverines_Block_M.png (14 KB, 851x612) Image search: [Google]
Michigan_Wolverines_Block_M.png
14 KB, 851x612
>>1010380
If he's not in California he'd be an idiot to go to a UC. Sure they're better schools, but they're eliminating aid for out of state students.

Got in here, want to go but nervous as hell about how to pay for it. Fingers crossed though I've got apps sent out to eight top schools with good financial aid, and applying for a shitload of scholarships in January. No school is worth 200k of debt.
>>
>>1009918

>for about three months and saved up everything I earned ($900)

What the fuck.

WHAT THE FUCK.

Where do you live? Like Iran or some shit?

I made $600 this week, and that's me working only 27 hours not at a great pay rate.

How the fuck can you work for 3 months and have less than a grand?

If you live in a western country, seriously, go talk to your union or the fair work commission about the abysmal pay you get and they will step in on your behalf and make sure you get a decent wage, at least something you can live off...
>>
>>1012201

LOL America doesn't have unions like the EU my man. Right to Work state is real
>>
>>1009918
I go to a state school in the SEC and I'm going to graduate a semester early. I'm a freshman and my major is Business Analytics with a concentration in Finance.

Honestly what >>1009946 said is true, ultimately if you aren't a frat bro you will have a harder time feeling accepted. You'll have to find a certain friend group if you're more of the "intellectual" type, maybe from the Honors college. There is less competition and a less stressful academic environment (so far). I got a 3.9 my first semester. In hindsight, I would have rather gone to a private school with <10,000 people, but I'm getting over 50% of my tuition paid with scholarships and in-state rates.
>>
>>1009918
1. Not worth it unless you qualify for massive aid. Even if your dad won't support you, FAFSA doesn't give a shit about that. If your family makes <$60k you'll be good for full assistance, though.

2. Always a good option. You'll have the degree and an alumni network, although making friends will be difficult at such a large place.

3. Don't worry about the SJW stuff, but 30k a year for in-state is not worth it.

4. IF you get Johnson at WashLee do that. These small schools are very prestigious and have great alumni networks and social scenes.

Source: Friends who go to all of the above. Brother is a Johnson at WL
>>
>>1012201
Where do you work that $22 an hour is considered low?
>>
About to graduate from uni in 6 months time. Im applying for grad schemes to some big firms, and i have had two internships at large mnc's. But im thinking that since im a poor student should i just risk what little i have and apply for entry level roles in startups. Im thinking my contribution would have more impact in a startup and a chance to make big bucks rather than work in a large company and slowly work my way up.
>>
>>1009918
>paying 50k+ for degree mill american universities

have a look at some universities in Europe anon, they are MUCH cheaper, you'll get a better degree (and much more importantly, a better education) plus valuable life experience, especially if you move somewhere that doesn't speak english and pick up a language (priceless asset)

don't waste your time with liberal arts colleges, the only way up from there is law/bar exam and not only can you do that without any college at all, there isn't much point in becoming a newbie lawyer at this point unless you have some mad legal connects which you don't have given your line of questioning.

How do you maximize your future earning potential? start a business
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.