[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Ask a second year medical student anything.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 1
File: Senior-medical-doctor.jpg (131 KB, 1080x1232) Image search: [Google]
Senior-medical-doctor.jpg
131 KB, 1080x1232
Ask a second year medical student anything.
>>
What's 2 plus 2
>>
do you actually want to be a doctor?
>>
>>1009834
what is the common treatment of haemachromatosis?
>>
do med books tell you that if you don't know what is physically wrong with a patient to call them hypochondriacs and send them home to die?
>>
So for combat medicine - My combat med pac comes with a giant compression needle. It says that compression in the chest is one of the leading causes of combat casualty. wtf is that shit? What do you use a compression needle for?

http://www.trauma.org/archive/thoracic/CHESTtension.html

heres a link. maybe you can dumb it down for me?
>>
>>1009834
If Superman were to eat Popeye's spinach, what would he be able to accomplish?
>>
>>1009843
>>1009855
yes
>>1009857
no idea
>>1009861
order expensive tests (mri/xray/CT)
>>1009863
Trauma to the rib cage can let air and blood in from the outside, this puts pressure on the lung so it can't expand, and if there is enough air/blood in the place where the lungs should be it can press on the heart and kill you very quickly (tension pneumothorax).

the giant compression needle is to get the air/blood out.
>>
>>1009857
ok I looked it up, forgot what it was. I think the treatment is prophylactic blood-letting, funnily enough.
>>
>>1009874
so lets say I was on a deserted island with paula abdul and no one else around and I had to decompress that hoe do I just shove that shit inbetween some ribs or what the fuck?
>>
>>1009874
will you look at something for me?
>>
>>1009877
yep. It should have some kind of one way valve on it to let air out but not in.

For a hemothorax I suspect you need some kind of suction to get the blood out.

A good trick for hemo/pneumothorax is to get a piece of plastic type paper (like the piece of paper a bandaid is attacked to) and make a triangle of it and tape one/two sides but not the bottom side so you have a ghetto-rigged one way valve that can help reinflate the lung.

>>1009883
post it
>>
>>1009834
I'm disappointed by this thread. It doesn't have anything to do with "business and finance". It's just attention-seeking.
>>
>>1009888
ya, I know that shit from sucking chest wounds aka bullet holes.

thanks doc. luv ya
>>
>>1009899
SHe's not a doctor, she's a student and she's on 4cham so she's probably a failing student

Abandon thread
>>
>>1009834
What is your viewpoint on circumcision? Should it be legal? Why or why not?
>>
>>1009874
> expensive treatment
> xray
Whats 2 plus 2 again ?
>>
>>1009834

How do you feel propping up the fatties and smokers, and gonna make coin off a fucking stupid and unhealthy nation?
>>
Just got accepted into a DO school.

Assuming that you're attending a MD program, any thoughts on DOs?

Other questions:

How's your workload?
Any tips for a soon to be 1st year?
What helps you study?
>>
>>1009834
How does it feel knowing you're going to be a part of the 1%? Also, do you like biology?
>>
how much money have you spent on textbooks? and what are some of them called?
>>
I'm working on doing this, what was your Score and GPA, and work experience going in. I've got 2 more classes to go to fulfill my pre reqs. I'm thinking of taking the MCAT in April. what's the best way to shtudy.
>>
>>1010530
Are you Chinee?
>>
>>1009834

Should I try and become a doctor?

I'm 24, I always thought about it at school, I feel like if I don't then I will have failed in life.
>>
>>1009911
um, im trying to have a private conversation with my primary care provider... you can C your way out of it. thx
>>
>>1009834

Have you attempted suicide or known someone who has yet while in medical school?
>>
>>1010021
illegal. I don't think we should be mutilating young children for no fucking reason.

>>1010292
there's no good way to lose weight, and i recommend to all my patients they quit smoking. there are good medications for quitting smoking and with e-cigarettes and nicotine patches it isnt that bad.

>>1010327
i hate DOs with all my passion due to medical fuckups in my past, but it's very personal.

>>1010330
It feels good. I dropped out of biology for an easy major in college, but I like studying medicine a lot, probably more than most medical students I know. I like the thought of being in the 1%, it was medicine or finance for me (got into good school) and went with medicine because it seemed cooler, and it is.

>>1010331
A few thousand; First Aid, Pathoma, various flashcards

>>1010530
Mid 30's MCAT, GPA was 3.9, was an EMT and lots of volunteering in college.
Best way to study is on SDN called SN2ED study plan.

>>1010536
Nope.

>>1011207
Yes, of course. But you need to be serious.

>>1011234
heh

>>1011243
Not yet.
>>
>>1010327

Missed your other questions due to getting enraged to DOs being mentioned.

Workload is pretty tough. Probably ~60 hours a week of studying.

My big tip is that you stay on top of your work and never fall behind. You need to put in at least 4 or 5 hours every single day or you will end up having big shitty cram days of 18 hours before exams and you will hate yourself. I learned this the hard way.

Get a good amount of sleep.

First year all you need is to learn everything really well and go to class.

Second year you should watch Pathoma before your classes.

The number one tip I would say as someone finishing up seconds year is that you should work super hard to learn every single thing you can because you need to know everything to do well on STEP 1 anyways...like the stupid bullshit is shit you will be tested on.
>>
>>1009834

Does second year follow pre-med?
How much leisure time do you get per week?
What do you do for part time work?
Have you banged any sexy female colleagues?
How big is the workload?
How many classes do you take?
>>
>>1011282
Thank you for your response! If you're willing to divulge, might I ask what happened with the DO?
>>
How many pills do you pop per day?

Med students and doctors are just educated junkies IME.

BTW superior software master race over here. Enjoy your 60-70 hr weeks, wagecuck.
>>
how old are you OP?

how old is the oldest med student in your year?

what was your undergrad?
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.