[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Boss asks you to come in to your full-time office job an hour
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 4
File: images (11).jpg (10 KB, 517x284) Image search: [Google]
images (11).jpg
10 KB, 517x284
Boss asks you to come in to your full-time office job an hour early tomorrow because the company has a rush of work to do

A) "But that's not in my contract"

B) "OK"

C) "if I do, can I leave an hour early?"

D) insert your answer
>>
File: image.png (137 KB, 1631x1571) Image search: [Google]
image.png
137 KB, 1631x1571
>>1009288
D. "Yes suh' massa! I beez a good lil' wage cuck and Iz be willing to do anything to keep my wage slave position suh'"
>>
>>1009288
I's just an hour. Suck it up. Use it as extra leverage when you are trying to ask for that raise later.
>>
>>1009288
B. OK. duh. No, this is nothing like "say, anon, I was thinking you could maybe, er, work Christmas? if you like? so come in on Christmas, ok."
>>
>>1009288
>>1009288
B)
Because I don't make 6 figures as an investor by being a faggot that complains about an extra hour of work
>>
>>1009288
"Ok" because my boss isn't a retard and it would be common sense that I'd either be let off early that day or have the time made up some other way
>>
>>1009288
As long as I'm paid hourly plus overtime, and if they really wanna pay me time and a half they're more than welcome.

If I'm salaried then the answer is no.
>>
File: doge 2.jpg (13 KB, 246x246) Image search: [Google]
doge 2.jpg
13 KB, 246x246
>>1009402
>getting paid hourly for a fulltime office job
>>
>>1009288
Salaried/non-exempt here
I'd be happy to stay an hour late and pick up some OT, but I don't do mornings so an hour early is out.
>>
>>1009288

D) I curse myself for answering my phone, but responsibly come in because it's just an hour. I remember to not answer my phone in the future.
>>
B, and make sure at the end of the week I'm paid for the overtime.
>>
>>1009496

At the kind of job where this happens and you actually would answer your phone or say anything but (b-but I got plans before work), in all likelihood, you'd be salaried and this would be basically be 'unpaid' work.
>>
Sir, I would prefer not to.
>>
>>1009288
want to say c but im a good goy so i say b
>>
You going to cry about waking up an hour early?
>>
>>1009288
D) explain I can't do that because it is not in my contract, also that it is not in the business's interests to ask this of me because legal tangles and confusion do more harm than good
>>
>>1009521
"I would prefer not too as well, but this is a business" *click*

>>1009538
"What the fuck are you talking about. Be in an hour early or I will find someone who can be" *click*
>>
D. Sorry dear boss, i'm with my family in Belgium for two weeks. Maybe next time. Love, anon.
>>
>>1009540
I said that because there are indeed legal tangles involved with changing the work hours of employees without drawing up a new contract.

At that point I would be able to file a complaint and get some compo.
>>
>>1009494
This.

Only issue is, they'll eventually catch on and start leaving vague "call me back" messages instead. Then you have to play the waiting game in hopes that another employee will take the 'offer' before you respond, or alternately, don't respond and claim you never recieved the communication in the first place.

Eventually, you realize you have to pepper all of your 'nos' with a yes every now and then to keep them off your ass, but eventually this disgusting meta game that borders on exploitation starts to make you really resent your boss and hate your job.
>>
>>1009288
Just go to work early dude.

1.) Its just 1 hour
2.) Being asked to come in early or stay late is very common with any full time job
3.) Its not Christmas eve
>>
>>1009565
>at will employment state
and at that point I would fire you for any little mistake you made.
>>
>>1009288
B)

I'm a salaried worker. I work to make the project get done on time. Sometimes that means I work 12 hrs . Sometimes it means I sneak off at 1pm on a Friday and watch a movie.
>>
>>1009288

Okay. I mean, there's never ever a rush at my job, but I'm accustomed to coming in at absurd hours anyway.
>>
i'd probably go if the boss wasnt a complete prick and had showed leniency towards me before when i have had unpredicted happenings
>>
>>1009411
Haha, sucker.

I took my last job with the stipulation that I would be an hourly employee with a lower base wage.

I'm one of less than probably ~300 in the world that has the qualifications to do my job. (Weird mix of certificates and qualifications and working with government contractors.

I took a 7% lower yearly salary to be an hourly worker because I've worked in their field a long time and I know that when deadlines get near it's a 100+ hour work week.
>>
>>1009572
Living the life, aren't we?
>>
>>1009496
This.

But its only one hour so not a huge deal -if it was happening all the time I would probably start to get annoyed, particularly if they only gave me 1 days notice each time. I dont mind a little bit of extra work but legally they should be giving 2 weeks notice, not one day.
>>
>>1009288
I'd leave an hour earlier

but that wouldn't be my answer.. my answer would just be 'sure, no problem'... then I'd just leave earlier than usual at the end of the day... I work longer than my contracted hours anyway so I guess I'd probably be leaving on time for a change if I came in early
>>
>>1009411
If you're salary is not based hourly you can be almost certain you will be working more than 40 hours a week on average. I'm an engineer getting paid hourly 33/hour with overtime paying 49.5/hour. I never work more than 40 hours a week unless I want to, and when I do I get paid 1.5x for it.
>>
>>1009311
>let me give away a valuable resource so I'll have leverage
>>
>>1009288
The real answer OP - it depends on what I want from the job. If I want to work there for the next 10 years (which is retarded since you're losing a lot of money by switching every 2-3 years) then I would do it.

Basically you need to manage your bosses' expectations. If the boss asked me to do it, I would agree, BUT on the morning would call in and say "uh huh, plumbing broke, waiting for the guy to come". If its a very bad day, you run the risk of getting your ass fired. But most likely your boss with never ask you to come in early again. I actually did that once with a throwaway engineering job I hadnt cared about.
>>
>enthusiastically say yes
>collect delicious overtime shekels
>if the shekels aren't in my next check, call the shop steward and/or business agent of my local and file a complaint

The dues are worth every penny.
>>
Most office type jobs I know of are salaried and routinely expect you to work 45 to 65 hours a week.
The big 4 often expect you to work up to 80 or so hours a week if you're a project manager. These guys honestly average like $15 an hour, and are baited by the possibility of someday making partner.
>>
D) It would be my privilege
>>
>>1009840

>15 dollars an hour

No. Even at 80 hours a week that's only 62k per year. Most salaried jobs pay better than that, and most don't really require 80 hour work weeks.
>>
>>1009288
D) What the fuck did you just say to me you little bitch?
>>
i quit any job where people try to take advantage of me.

i have a no tolerance policy on this shit. i'm not your bitch
>>
>>1009862

You must be incredibly successful
>>
B the first 1 or 2 times. If it becomes a habit, I'll probably switch to C, if not A.
>>
>>1009862
The boss is just asking, you fucking autist. You could simply reply "no can't do bcz [reason]"
>>
>>1009866
You'd be surprised how effective being difficult to deal with is.
>>
>>1009521
Underrated post. Well done
>>
File: 1441413820576.gif (446 KB, 300x186) Image search: [Google]
1441413820576.gif
446 KB, 300x186
>>1009652
Generally no one even needs to ask. If something needs to get done, its just understood that it will get done.
>>
>>1009794
>implying you can do anything useful in the hour you're removing from your schedule
>>
>>1009982
like sleeping so you come in more focused and better able to do your job?
>>
>>1009288
OW LAWD, yes masta, I be dere as soon as the sun rise masta.
>>
>>1009605
not if I recorded the phone call you just made and claim that is the real reason
>>
D) Sure thing, I could use a little bit of time and a half these days.
>>
>>1009521
>>1009914
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bartleby,_the_Scrivener#Plot
hmm
>>
>>1009288
>do whatever the boss says, be his bitch
>a year down the line ask for a raise
>your boss has nothing negative to say about your preformance because you've been his bitch without complaint for a year
>obtain raise
>start slacking

that's how it's done.
>>
>>1010005
just go to bed an hour earlier the night before instead of 4chin
>>
>>1010035
You're assuming he's going to remember you were a good little bitch and instead of putting you in your place like the little bitch you are and denying your raise, he will give it to you.

Nah.
>>
>>1010017
Well good luck proving that in a court of law. If I can show my reason for firing you has any resulting damages then whatever you accuse me of can be demurred.
>>
>>1009288
>B) "OK"
>C) "if I do, can I leave an hour early?"

Either of these.
>>
>>1010075
I am a model worker to the point I am doing you a favor by advising you not to change work hours on a whim and get yourself into a legal quagmire, so you've got nothing on me.

Should've listened.

Wow, this abusive employer has stressed me out so much, I think I need a severance package and a vacation on top of the compo. I'm sure Shlomo can arrange that for me, he is getting a 10% commission after all.
>>
>>1010090
Demurrer that. This is an at-will employment state and is peripheral to the central point of I don't agree you are a model worker, in fact I think you are being a smart ass with what you are saying.
Citation:
"An employer has every right to walk up to an at-will employee and say, "I don't like that your favorite color is purple. You're fired." There are very few, if any, remedies for you, unless your employer did something to violate your employee rights or broke labor laws." - See more at: http://employment.findlaw.com/hiring-process/at-will-employee-faq-s.html#sthash.C1mAOb7Y.dpuf
>>
>>1010101 cont'd
This isn't even the route I would go. I would not even need to respond to your statement once I have filed a demurrer. In fact me responding right there was a bad move. I already provided the necessary information to have your suite thrown out. The law is on my side as an employer.
>>
>>1009498
Cnc programmer
Salaried non exempt.
Feels good man
>>
>>1009824
Listen to this guy. Too many people pay their dues without actually using the resources they grant you (which are vast in certain industries)
>>
>>1009288
D. Self employed. Office is closed and won't be open again until X o'clock. Message not even read until about 4PM. "Gee, I wonder if he got some sucker to come in at that ridiculous time of the morning..."
>>
>>1009288
I'm just a min wage line worker at a restaurant while in school but our manager is pretty cool and gives us free meals if we pick up an emergency shift vacancy or come in if called to show up early, so I'd do it, enjoy free dinner, and head home to shitpost.
Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.