[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
There was a thread a while back on this topic and I missed it.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 1
File: COPS.png (38 KB, 421x237) Image search: [Google]
COPS.png
38 KB, 421x237
There was a thread a while back on this topic and I missed it. Who all is/was a cop? I know it can vary depending on the area you're patrolling but how's the stress, pay, etc? The area I'm looking at pays well, but just want to get some insight.
>>
>Pays well
Good joke
>>
>>1008258
In certain areas, they can get paid well.
>>
>>1008802

Their low pay stretches further in different economic zones you mean...
>>
>>1008234

Some State Cops get paid well, but they also almost ALWAYS have to relocate.
>>
>>1008258
Chicago police start at around 70k a year and make over 90k after about 10 years, not including overtime... For the last 5 years Chicago has had a mandatory overtime rule where every officer must work a minimum 10 hours overtime per week.

After you consider their benefits, pension, hourly, and overtime, Chicago police after 10 years are making pretty close to 180k a year
>>
>>1008824

Of course, that's overtime in one of the more dangerous cities of the US.
>>
>>1008826

And dont forget you HAVE to live in the city... one of the highest cost of living cities in America.

But yes, its fairly easy to find 6 figure police patrolman jobs. Our now ousted Chief of Police was making almost 300k a year and supposedly got a signing bonus of 1million to come here from Jersey
>>
>>1008830

Only problem with Chief of Police jobs is that it's who you know moreso than if you're any good...

And you really have to live in Chicago? I thought most PDs let their cops commute to save cash (course, if htey give you 70K, I guess they're telling you to suck it up and get violated on that apartment rental/mortgage payment). I know NYPD (at least at one point) had people who would drive from a ways into Jersey.
>>
>>1008234
Future cop reporting in.

Honestly I just want to do it for fun. I'm thinking of trying to start a business on the side later on down the road to make real money.
>>
>>1008835

Most police departments have residency requirements. Its the theory that you care more about a neighborhood you live in. Illinois state police must live within 20 minutes of their station.

Some smaller suburbs have distance requirements. Im actually kind of shocked NY has no requirements at all
>>
>>1008838

Well, my knowledge of the NYPD is dated to some research I did through an old detective who taught some of my classes.

Apparently, they had a pretty aggressive policy of dealing with alcoholism when they caught you with it, too.
>>
>>1008840

I wish I had a picture. Inside Chicago Police stations there is a poster almost identical to the one in a post office that says

"You might not be on duty, but they dont know that. NEVER drink in uniform"

...Yes, grown ass college graduates need to be told to not drink while still wearing their uniform. I guess it makes sense though considering Ive never known a single cop who wasnt either sitting on the fence, or a full blown alcoholic.

I guess after your 20th infant splattered across the road sleeping gets a bit rough without a bottle of Jack
>>
>>1008844

The hours can drive you to drink, too. Shift workers in general are prone to using downers to get to sleep.

Alcohol's just easy and legal.

But if you think needing that poster is bad, if you were an alcoholic or drinking on duty in 1970's NYPD, they would pretty much kidnap you and take you to upstate New York for some cold turkey time on a farm.

I'm assuming the alternative was being prosecuted or canned, so I'm guessing most would go pretty quietly.
>>
>>1008826
The one I'm applying for is a affluent suburb of a large metro area. I don't have to live i the city and the starting pay is 62k. Avg costs of homes are under 200k.

I lived in Memphis before moving here and the cops got paid 40k. No way in fuck. I only am considering due to this area being relatively crime free and paying well especially considering the cost of living.
>>
>>1008926
Cop here. Would recommend.

I make 90-110k a year. If you're not in a shit, crime ridden city its breddy good. I also get 20 year retirement. It'll be ~80% of my pay.
>>
>>1008933

I thought it was only 50% of your ending pay.

Of course, 50% of your ending pay for having put in twenty years is a pretty good pay off, so 80 would be cool too.
>>
>>1008944
>>1008944
Its all dependent on your dept. At ours, 20 years its 80% at 30 years it's almost 100%. I'd never work at big metros again. Those guys can make good but are usually highly stressed. OP has it right..work for nice suburbs that pay with well. 100k patrolling schools? Yes please.
>>
i have a feeling this has become a texas thread
>>
>>1008837
Private investigator reporting in. Become a private investigator.
>>
>>1008933
MARK?
>>
Im becoming a cop in the UK...

But holy shit reading this thread makes me wish i was in the US. My pay after 5 years would be pocket change compared to these stats even though the cost of living here is through the roof.
>>
>>1009968
Could make a fuck load working in Northern Ireland PSNI though

Just got to get used to checking under your car every morning

My friends love it for the constant rioting and excitement though, the pay is just a bonus
>>
Also, all cop pensions won't be around any more when people our age retire

>>1009329
>>
>>1008824
I'm taking the exam in April and DC Metro's in May. CPD increased pay pretty well. DC take home pay is shit. Think after the academy is $57,000+ before court time/OT.
>>
>>1009520
Why become a P.I?
>>
I know many of us Americans think cops are grossly overpaid but go to a country where they are underpaid and see what a fucked up corrupt shit hole it becomes.
>>
>>1008234
I'm a cop in Scotland. It's a pretty good job pay gets better with each year your on for and its on of the easiest jobs I've ever had. Can't speak much for USA law enforcement jobs though
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.